• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Calderwood named Forest boss!

andrew_sthnd

Coach
BBC SPORT

The llink above shows that Colin Calderwood had been named Notts Forest boss but the only thing I could think about is why he would leave Northampton. he has just guided them to promotion to the same league as forest and he hasn't stayed with the club to finish what he started. A new manager will have to come in and now has a huge task - making sure a newly promoted team stay in the league!

Just goes to show the difference between the Calderwoods / Parkinsons and Dowies of the football world and the rare breed of the likes of Tilly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andrew_sthnd @ May 30 2006,15:00)]Why he would leave Northampton?  He has just guided them to promotion to the same league as forest and he hasn't stayed with the club to finish what he started.
The answer to that is: because Calderwood is, ultimately, looking out for himself - and, regardless of the fact that the two teams are in the same division - Forest represents a massive step-up from Northampton.

However, it may all end in tears.  Calderwood isn't nearly as good a manager as he likes to think he is, IMHO.  At Sixfields, he inherited a club with a pretty decent set-up and side - don't forget, when he took over in October 2003, that was only shortly after they'd been relegated from League One in May 2003.  

Indeed, the Cobblers had spent 5 of the previous 6 seasons at League One level - getting as far as the play-off final in 1997-98 - so it was fair to say that Calderwood was heading to a club that was set up for, and had expectations of, League One football.

Despite the fact that Calderwood made the playoffs at the end of his first season, and repeated the feat the following year (when the Cobblers lost out to us), it fundamentally took him the best part of three years to deliver League One football to a club which is set-up for, and has expectations of, playing at that level.  Fundamentally, at the end of his first two seasons, when it came to delivering, he wasn't quite up to the job... and yet the Cobblers stuck by him.

Given where Forest currently are, and given the massive expectations at that club, I cannot see him being given three seasons before delivering success to the City Ground.  He'll need to take them up this year, or he'll be out, I reckon - and that's quite a burden for any manager.  I am sceptical as to whether that's a burden Calderwood is capable of bearing.

Poor ole' Cobblers - hope they find a decent manager soon.

oops.gif

Matt

Is a surprise, but he just wants the money, to spend and "earn"

I wouldhave stayed at Northampton, however the County ground is awesome

Back