• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
It must be hard being Sam Allardyce. Whenever I imagine him, I see him in a big country house in the north of England, in a well-furnished front room where the only noise is the metronomic ticking of a towering grandfather clock in the corner. He sits alone in his armchair, surrounded by discarded newspapers and untouched cups of tea, staring out of the window while an oversized Old English Sheepdog snores at his feet. Every now and then he glances at the phone, but it never rings.

How did this happen? Just two years ago he was a front-runner for the England job. Now, every time his name is linked with a vacancy, the fans howl in protest and the role goes to someone else. It happened again this summer with Blackburn Rovers. He was all set to step into Mark Hughes' shoes when the supporters found out and launched an internet campaign to stop him. Paul Ince got the job instead and, for that, I hope the Blackburn fans are feeling rather silly. There are no certainties in football, but I'd stake a lot of money on Allardyce's Blackburn being placed higher than 19th right now.

This weekend, with Roy Keane and his little black cloud heading off into the distance, Allardyce is being linked with Sunderland and their supporters are, predictably enough, up in arms about it. There is a perception up in the north-east that he destroyed Newcastle United, but the reality is quite the contrary.

Allardyce arrived at St James Park having completed one of the most astonishing transformations in English football since the Premier League began. He took Bolton Wanderers from second flight makeweights to UEFA Cup regulars and this was no fleeting Ipswich Town or Reading-style success. Bolton improved year-on-year because the foundations of the club were so secure. His attempts to do the same at Newcastle were curtailed by an owner who has since proved himself to be incompetent. When he was sacked, the Magpies were 11th in the table, higher than they had finished under Glenn Roeder the season previous. Allardyce did not fail Newcastle. Newcastle failed him.

There is a perception too that he is a boring manager, obsessive about defensive tactics. Well, I watched the lowlights of the Sunderland game last weekend and they are crying out for help at the back. Keane has left behind a talented squad, low on confidence and tactically unsure of themselves. If Allardyce is sat in his living room reading this article now, he'll be salivating on his sheepdog at the prospect of such a legacy. The job is made for him.

Sunderland and Allarydce need each other because this is a time of great opportunity. Whisper it, but the Mackems are the biggest club in the region now. Middlesbrough are steady, but play in a half-empty stadium, Newcastle are rudderless and letting in water, but Sunderland are nicely placed. The Stadium of Light holds nearly 50,000 and they are well-backed and well-financed. Roy Keane has performed magnificently in hauling them out of the doldrums, but they are ripe for someone to take them to the next stage. Allardyce has the experience, the know-how and the hunger and if Sunderland's supporters have got any sense, they'll let Niall Quinn break the silence of his living room with a phonecall.

It seems strange to me he hasn't been given another job since Newcastle, I think most reasonable people could understand he was basically shafted by Ashley who bowed to pressure from "the best fans in the country".

I have regularly defended Big Sam and actually backed him over McClaren for the England job. Then again, who ever stood a chance when every credible candidate seemed to be smeared in the public eye just as decision time was approaching. Yes, Sam and Harry, we're going to suggest you're corrupt but never actually prove anything of the sort.

It's just his astonishing belief that he's one of the finest managers the Premiership has ever seen which surprises me. His Bolton record was excellent and it should have been the ideal move going to Newcastel with more cash to spend and a host of exciting players already in place. Again, I suggested he should have had more time but even bearing that in mind, managers spending such amounts of money need to show promising signs in their mangement. Allardyce didn't really but equally never had the chance to show he could get a good run going.

I'm only posting this because I've been having lunch hoping there would be some Slipper treatment to read regarding Eboue and Arsenal but no luck

:(

I'm only posting this because I've been having lunch hoping there would be some Slipper treatment to read regarding Eboue and Arsenal but no luck

:(

Sorry about that. I was at the game, but I had to file on the full-time whistle which meant it only got one par. With fifteen minutes, I could have dedicated the whole story to it, but there just wasn't time.

I've been working on my CL preview today, but I only post the stuff that might interest people, not the half-hearted cheerleading of a fundamentally flawed and dangerous competition!

Sorry about that. I was at the game, but I had to file on the full-time whistle which meant it only got one par. With fifteen minutes, I could have dedicated the whole story to it, but there just wasn't time.

I've been working on my CL preview today, but I only post the stuff that might interest people, not the half-hearted cheerleading of a fundamentally flawed and dangerous competition!

Haha! Stop biting that feeding hand!

I haven't even given the CL this week a second thought but I suppose the intersting one could be the prospect of Inter going out. Can't see Cluj getting much joy at Chelsea.

Didn't actually realise every other group was determined already - how disappointing.

Haha! Stop biting that feeding hand!

I haven't even given the CL this week a second thought but I suppose the intersting one could be the prospect of Inter going out. Can't see Cluj getting much joy at Chelsea.

Didn't actually realise every other group was determined already - how disappointing.

It's all but two. Roma and Chelsea aren't confirmed yet, but let's be honest, they almost certainly will be. The only other tie of 'interest' is Panathanawannaspannernikos against Anthony Fanny-buster.

It's the best competition in the world!

The group stages are so heavily seeded that it's practically impossible for more than a couple of unwelcome minnows to sneak through into the interesting bit. I'd ask why they don't just make it a two-legged knock-out competition, but I already know why. Morons in suits pay billions for their logo to get plastered all over Manchester United - Aalborg. Home and away.

You're right although it is the interesting situation where I look at a large number of the results and think to myself how they could have been upsets only to then look at the league tables and see the statistical lunacy of this view.

Certainly upset the applecart when I took Roda JC in to the CL and took one of the first seed places but then I topped my group with Chelsea in so maybe I deserved it. This was obviously real life and not a PSP trimmed down version of real life.

Back