• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Callum Taylor

Disappointing to learn this from the Echo. Will the club ever improve its communications with the fans? I guess not.

I guess the non mentioning of Callum led to Chris Phillips asking questions.

Apart from Terrell Egbri and Emile Acquah all last year’s promising youngsters have now been sidelined for ageing relics. Whilst this may have been necessary this season given the mess we’ve been in I hope this isn’t the way forward.

I guess Callum Taylor was always going to find this year difficult with Harry Seaden being just that little bit older than him and favoured. With non league football being decimated his loan to Harlow was at the wrong time.

This season will be a complete loss to a lot of youngsters.

Any way good luck Callum - I hope you can make a decent career in the game.

Last edited:
Poor communication from the club and pretty poor timing. Makes sense now why we we‘re so desperate to bring in another keeper. I didn’t see the problem with Seaden starting and Taylor on the bench, but I guess that clears that one up.

this management team don't seem very interested in our youth development ...

i liked it when it was all our kids playing
You mean back when we were getting thrashed every week? Acquah and Clifford are still playing every week (Egbri probably would be as well if he was fit, I rate him higher than RHF), in a normal season you'd only expect a couple of kids to be coming through because they need to be learning off experienced players around them, there were always going to be some sent back to the U23s once the embargo was lifted.

I'm surprised to see him on his way - have heard good things about him and what I saw was promising as well. A case of the year groups behind kicking on well and overtaking him in development, or something else?

Apart from Terrell Egbri and Emile Acquah all last year’s promising youngsters have now been sidelined for ageing relics. Whilst this may have been necessary this season given the mess we’ve been in I hope this isn’t the way forward.
So Clifford doesn't count?

As much as I feel sorry for Callum and wish we could keep him and involve him where possible, we cannot have it both ways.

And you're unfair regarding 'relics'. What we have done is increase our squad size with - mostly - better options with a mix of experience and comparative youth. That has sidelined some younger home grown players. If they weren't pushed down the pecking order, our recruitment would have been a spectacular failure.

Maybe you'd advocate for not having made changes to the squad, keep playing our youth, destroy their self-belief and careers and see us crash out of the league by New Year?

this management team don't seem very interested in our youth development ...

i liked it when it was all our kids playing
We sold two of our brightest youngsters in Kelman and Hutch. In the first team squad we have Elvis, Clifford, Egbri, Seadan and Acquah.

I'd say that's a decent proportion of ex academy players making it to matchday, perhaps we need to start realising that just because someone came through our youth system it doesn't make them automatically brilliant players

I don't have an issue with him not playing, but clearly the most disappointing thing to read, is the fact that he wasn't even training with the other keepers, let alone the first team.

That is really poor from MM IMO.

We're likely to lose Oxley after this season, so we could have had Taylor and Seadon fighting for the No1 slot next season.

Cal was never really given a chance once MM brought his team in. They invested no time in him from almost day one, which in my humble opinion was a mistake. They had a very good keeper who does nothing but work hard on and off the pitch but didn’t afford him the same support as others. Just read the academy game Twitter reports, save after save after save, many worthy of a higher level. But I do believe that sometimes you can stay in a relationship too long and be taken advantage off or not appreciated, sometimes you don’t see the wood for the trees.
I'm surprised to see him on his way - have heard good things about him and what I saw was promising as well. A case of the year groups behind kicking on well and overtaking him in development, or something else?

Cal was never really given a chance once MM brought his team in. They invested no time in him from almost day one, which in my humble opinion was a mistake. They had a very good keeper who does nothing but work hard on and off the pitch but didn’t afford him the same support as others. Just read the academy game Twitter reports, save after save after save, many worthy of a higher level. But I do believe that sometimes you can stay in a relationship too long and be taken advantage off or not appreciated, sometimes you don’t see the wood for the trees.

Football is a tough business. I’m sure it’s nothing personal, just decided he wasn’t good enough like the 1000’s of players that drop out of pro teams at this stage.

Such is life unfortunately and if parents are smart, they will make their kids aware they need to remain in the top 1% to make it.

I don't have an issue with him not playing, but clearly the most disappointing thing to read, is the fact that he wasn't even training with the other keepers, let alone the first team.

We're likely to lose Oxley after this season, so we could have had Taylor and Seadon fighting for the No1 slot next season.
MM must have thought he was crap.

No room for sentiment anymore in this game. As pointed out, having that many youths as first team players now is bloody good really.

Is that not to do with Covid bubbles though?

I took it to mean the first team keepers not keepers in general, he was training with the U23 keepers at the start of the season.

For me having a 19 year lad and an 18 year old as your number 2 and 3 is probably too much and they needed an experienced keeper to come in, sadly we didnt get one.

I know they rate the 16 or 17 year old lad very highly indeed, cant think of his name right now but I think it is a double barrelled surname.

Back