• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Callum Taylor

Its often the case with keepers that we don't produce one year after year, there is usually a few years gap to allow development.

I.e Ted Smith was a few years after Bentley, Bishop was a few years after him, now Seaden a few years younger than Bishop.

As Seaden and him are less than a year apart maybe they feel its too close to have both push for the first team.

Shame for Callum Taylor though, hope he does well in the future.

I took it to mean the first team keepers not keepers in general, he was training with the U23 keepers at the start of the season.

For me having a 19 year lad and an 18 year old as your number 2 and 3 is probably too much and they needed an experienced keeper to come in, sadly we didnt get one.

I know they rate the 16 or 17 year old lad very highly indeed, cant think of his name right now but I think it is a double barrelled surname.

George Murray-Jones. He’s still a schoolboy but he’s attended a training camp with England U16s already. Fin Purcell has also already played for our U18s and U23s as a schoolboy.

Our goalkeeping conveyor belt has been quite extraordinary, really (with massive credit to Terry Mason, Reece Otley and others).

Hopefully Callum Taylor can find another club quickly and show what he’s capable of, having represented his country at U16 and U17 level.

George Murray-Jones. He’s still a schoolboy but he’s attended a training camp with England U16s already. Fin Purcell has also already played for our U18s and U23s as a schoolboy.

Our goalkeeping conveyor belt has been quite extraordinary, really (with massive credit to Terry Mason, Reece Otley and others).

Hopefully Callum Taylor can find another club quickly and show what he’s capable of, having represented his country at U16 and U17 level.

what happened to Dan Godfrey?

Unlike most on the forum here I thought the team including the youngsters played well under Campbell towards the end of the shortened season. Even before the first win, the improvement was massive and even enjoyable to watch, that's why the attendance stayed acceptable considering the league position.

Unlike most on the forum here I thought the team including the youngsters played well under Campbell towards the end of the shortened season. Even before the first win, the improvement was massive and even enjoyable to watch, that's why the attendance stayed acceptable considering the league position.
some of the performances were outstanding, and they did get better as the games when on for sure, i have never seen many on here say they didnt or slag the youngsters off. But at the bottom of league one and in league 2 you cannot play a team with 50% or more of under 21’s. I think thats what people are referring too, at that age they are inconsistent so you wil get good performances and some bad ones.

this thread is about young Callum leaving etc not about the rest of them for me anyway

So did our opponents

sure ... and of course we had Kelman and Humphries .. but I thought it was exciting watching Hutchinson, Kelman, Kinali, Philips, MMN, Gard, Egbri come through and we did have some older heads Macca, White etc. Do I remember rightly Bishop got some games ? Of course Elvis.

I know we got fees for Kelman and Bishop - apparently Hutch no money but presumably the lad got himself good money at Derby -

So whatever our opponents thought at least some other clubs rated our players.

You mean back when it took us 16 games to get our first win?

league 1 is a far higher standard - look at the clubs in it -

dodgy old league 2 is a far far lower level

... and obviously fully supporting our new manager as he has successfully managed to guide our large and expensive squad to 90th place is very key part of posting on Shrimperzone ;-)

what happened to Dan Godfrey?

Dan Confrey, who was a Wales U16 international, wasn't offered a scholarship with Blues and left the club at 16. He spent a couple of seasons at Concord Rangers between 2018 and 2020 but didn't make a competitive first-team appearance at Thames Road (he did feature in some friendly fixtures). He signed for Canvey Island on a dual-registration in 2019/20 and played five times for the Gulls, whilst also registering for Benfleet in the Eastern Counties League Division One South, playing 24 times.

sure ... and of course we had Kelman and Humphries .. but I thought it was exciting watching Hutchinson, Kelman, Kinali, Philips, MMN, Gard, Egbri come through and we did have some older heads Macca, White etc. Do I remember rightly Bishop got some games ? Of course Elvis.

I know we got fees for Kelman and Bishop - apparently Hutch no money but presumably the lad got himself good money at Derby -

So whatever our opponents thought at least some other clubs rated our players.
So you’d rather we carried on playing MMN, Kinali, and Phillips instead of signing the likes of Hobson, Olayinka, K Taylor, ANG, and Holmes?

So you’d rather we carried on playing MMN, Kinali, and Phillips instead of signing the likes of Hobson, Olayinka, K Taylor, ANG, and Holmes?

It seems you want to have an argument ?

I merely said I it was good watching them.

I really don't expect anyone to agree with me but I really enjoyed Sol Campbells
time at Roots Hall.

You mean back when it took us 16 games to get our first win?

So did our opponents

In fairness, that is taken a bit out of context. From our 6th game of the season when we lost 2-0 to Cheltenham at home, only 1 academy player started. Admittedly the bench was filled with kids, but since our 6th game we have averaged between 1 & 2 youth players starting.

I get why MM is doing this, but from what I am hearing he is a bit spooked about using young players at the moment. Which is understandable considering our first couple games of the season, but the problem is he has lost a little perspective and forgetting that some of them are actually good players.

Eren Kinali is a big example, along with Michael Klass/Harry Phillips. You cannot tell me that a Greg Halford, Brandon Goodship or even a Sam Hart is any better than them. Same with Tyler Cordner, waste of a wage, could just put Kyprianou on the bench. Kyp held his own in league 1. And from people I trust at the club (my source is within the u23 set up) there is a bit of concern.

I believe Callum Taylors father is on this forum, he would have a lot to say, trust me. Some of the u23s have been dealt harshly just because a full team of them is a bit much. But individually some of them are real talents.

An example is Tom Clifford, couple months ago couldn't get in the team, when it is evident he is a much better player than Sam Hart. Tom is now our top goal scorer lol

But I don't want to rant too much, because I have really warmed to MM. What he is doing works to be fair to him. It just needs balance.

But youth players have served us well for a few years now (transfer fees and contributing to playing). Give me a Egbri, Kinali, Clifford over a Goodship/Hart any day.

Last edited:
We sold two of our brightest youngsters in Kelman and Hutch. In the first team squad we have Elvis, Clifford, Egbri, Seadan and Acquah.

I'd say that's a decent proportion of ex academy players making it to matchday, perhaps we need to start realising that just because someone came through our youth system it doesn't make them automatically brilliant players

While I was sorry to see both go from what we saw last week Hutch is unlikely to be anything other than a lower league player at best.The jury is still out on Kelman and hopefully we'll receive some dosh if he makes it.

No, but as I put in my post above. I would take MMN, Kinali and Phillips over a Halford/Hart/Cordner/Goodship any day.

While I was sorry to see both go from what we saw last week Hutch is unlikely to be anything other than a lower league player at best.The jury is still out on Kelman and hopefully we'll receive some dosh if he makes it.

Bit harsh to say that already! When Cheltenham came to Roots Hall in 2011/2012 (not sure which one) a young Jack Butland was on loan from Birmingham. He had an absolute shocker and not one person who was at that game would ever imagine he would go onto play for England! In a position that there is only one of!

I’m not saying Hutchinson is going to play for England but to write him off after 45 minutes of his first start(?) for a club he has joined on loan where they all played pretty poorly is very harsh!

No, but as I put in my post above. I would take MMN, Kinali and Phillips over a Halford/Hart/Cordner/Goodship any day.
Glad you aren’t the manager then. Not really sure how those players compare anyway. Halford was signed to cover a number of different positions, none of those players do. Hart is a left back, none of those players are. Cordner is probably a better player than MMN at this stage of his career. And Goodship was already at the club.

I don't have an issue with him not playing, but clearly the most disappointing thing to read, is the fact that he wasn't even training with the other keepers, let alone the first team.

That is really poor from MM IMO.

We're likely to lose Oxley after this season, so we could have had Taylor and Seadon fighting for the No1 slot next season.

I dont disagree with the thrust of ur post, however I dont see it as "losing" Oxley, on the contrary that would be welcome. Oxley has been consistently poor, has cost us numerous points and IS NOT a Goalkeeper, he is a SHOTSTOPPER...Big difference!

It seems you want to have an argument ?

I merely said I it was good watching them.

I really don't expect anyone to agree with me but I really enjoyed Sol Campbells
time at Roots Hall.
Some games were enjoyable, for sure. The young players played with a lot of desire but many were out of their depth. When Sol Campbell joined we were 8 points off safety, by the time the season was cancelled we were 16 points off safety. I get the feeling if MM produced a similar result you wouldn’t be so positive.

Back