• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And he has a personality, a fairly decent command of his area and has a bit about him to issue directions to his defence.

Personally I just feel that a 'personality' helps with getting fans on side, most top keepers (like top sportsman have this) are a little crazy, fun, different. I did not for one second imply that attribute is the first thing to look for in a goalkeeper, I simply said Belford has a personality as this is a Cameron Belford thread.

Why the sarcastic comment?

Some of the best goalkeepers in the world have been a bit bonkers with great personalities. It does seem to help funnily enough

I think the implication is, that when you have a keeper with a bit of 'fan appeal', everybody is not on his back when things are not going too well.

Personally I just feel that a 'personality' helps with getting fans on side, most top keepers (like top sportsman have this) are a little crazy, fun, different. I did not for one second imply that attribute is the first thing to look for in a goalkeeper, I simply said Belford has a personality as this is a Cameron Belford thread.

Aside from acting in a reasonable manner and refraining from Nicky Bailey-esque levels of arseholery, I can't see why a footballer should be too concerned with what the supporters make of his personality. I'd be far more concerned with trying to win them round with my tangible attributes rather than how I can participate in some Epic Bantz to make them like me.

I think the implication is, that when you have a keeper with a bit of 'fan appeal', everybody is not on his back when things are not going too well.

Then surely the conclusion to draw from such an implication is that when we have a player who is, in the eyes of the manager, technically and physically superior to Cameron Belford, the supporters should be looking to continually support him and help him develop the requisite confidence, rather than ironically cheering and haranguing him after each misplaced footstep?

Then surely the conclusion to draw from such an implication is that when we have a player who is, in the eyes of the manager, technically and physically superior to Cameron Belford, the supporters should be looking to continually support him and help him develop the requisite confidence, rather than ironically cheering and haranguing him after each misplaced footstep?
I'm not convinced that that is actually the case, personally, I think it was more likely to have been a financial reason that prevented Belford being signed on permanent terms, whether that was transfer fees or personal terms, I'm not sure.

Aside from acting in a reasonable manner and refraining from Nicky Bailey-esque levels of arseholery, I can't see why a footballer should be too concerned with what the supporters make of his personality. I'd be far more concerned with trying to win them round with my tangible attributes rather than how I can participate in some Epic Bantz to make them like me.

I quite agree, at the end of the day, I have to trust the manager to go with, and do, what he sees as the best for the whole team given the constraints he has to work with. If he feels that the long term plan is to go with certain players then that should be good enough for us.
That said, it is the nature of the beast that supporters will bask on glory days yet start looking for blood as things turn against us; at the end of the day, let us all grumble and expound our greater knowledge on here, but stand behind every player when they are on the pitch.

The fact you even mention personality when discussing a keeper is odd, to list it as the first thing you thought of certainly justifies why ESB mentioned it.

All I remember of Belford was that pass to the Crewe striker in the play off which almost knocked us out instantly and only saved by him squandering the easiest of chances.

Id be happy to have Belford as a keeper but Im not convinced he is the amazing alternative others believe him to be, even if he does have a personality.

JamMan, it's all a matter of opinion, why is my comments odd?? I like Cameron Belford (Who the topic is about) and simply stated that he has a personality which I find important-ish is my love of watching sports and sportsman. He was decent enough for us in his spells. He was decent for us, better than Morris (towards the end of his spell) and Evans.

Why Eaststandblue felt the need to question that on a positive Cameron Belford thread is beyond me. Looking at his comments to wightshrimper, it looks as though he is making reference to the boring Smith debate yet again!!!

Some people on here have bias, others bias the other way in defence, much like the Tilson debate.

Because it doesnt matter if he has personality or not, its whether he can stop a ball going in a big net.

By mentioning it as the first point in your analysis you are making it part of his assessment whether you intended to or not, hence he rightly picked up on it.

Back