• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Cambelt went, what you reckon the repair bill will be?

Spent a fun six hours with the MG TF (2004) yesterday, only trouble was it was by side of road waiting for a tow as the cambelt had gone. Lotsa noise in the lead up to it and had just been clocking 70ish.

Its now in the garage awiting a slot for them to look at it.

Reckon will be a bit of mechanic chin rubbing and 'that's gonna set you back a bit mate' talk.

Any ideas re likely cost?

Not looking forward to this.

You sure it was the cam? Piston & valve problems are with that model.
If cam is done in then it's an engine strip after draining (any?) fluids left in it, survey of attached gears, cogs, bearings, gaskets and what other damage caused. Then the trick of getting it all put back again healthier then it was...............
I'd make friends with a MG/ Rover nut or join one of the MG clubs online. They usually have help pages or ideas of a good job done cheap.
The noise, speed you were going and model.... get ready for some heavy news, may be cheaper to have a new (recon) engine? Sorry

If it is the cam belt that's gone and considering the speed you were doing I think it's safe to assume a fair bit of damage has been done to the internals. I would seriously think about a recon engine. Parts costs for any repair aren't going to be the major concern but moreover the hourly labour costs involved. If it's a reputable garage I would hazard a guess that's that exactly what they'll recommend. They may even be able source one where they take all of your old knackered engine for parts and supply the new recon engine at a reduced price.

Don't also forget that the MG is a mid engined car so before they even start they will have to take the engine out because they can't get to it otherwise.

It might be easier, once the engine's out, just to put a recon in instead.

I reckon this is going to be in the thousands.

I had an MGF before I bought my current car, and I had the head gasket go. That cost far more than it really should simply because it is a mid engined car.

Had a cambelt replaced as a precautionary measure on a Clio 172 I had about 6 years ago - cost about £1100 including a service :'(

The cambelt went on a Renault 19 (Which I called The Fuego) I owned about ten years ago.

My brother fixed it for nothing and I bought him a couple of pints as a thankyou.

repair bill £1,240. Though when i started my 7 mile journey last Sunday I wasn't banking on spending any more dosh I haven't got, in the end after all of the 'chn rubbing gloom messages' i think I'll settle for that

all piston thingy's beed replacing apparently

How much is the car worth though?

Always tricky when you get a big bill for an older car whether its worth throwing money at it.

Back