• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Firstly season's greetings to all.

Festive cards will be shown this year by Oliver Langford (at Cambridge), Gavin Ward (Dagenham) and Tim Robinson (at Northampton).

First up on Boxing Day is Oliver Langford from Darlaston, near Walsall in the West Midlands, as we look for our third consecutive win at Cambridge.

In his seventh season as a Football League referee, he has only refereed Southend seven times before.

First was the dreadful match (until the last minute anyway) at Leyton Orient in 2008/9. He didn't excel, but did better than the players. The second was the low-key paint thing at Milton Keynes the following season. In both of those games he seemed to find it easier to caution away players than home ones.

His third Southend match was the 1-4 home defeat by Swindon 2011/12 when he cautioned Timlin, Kalala and, for them, Macca.

His fourth was early 2012/13 and somewhat controversial. In the 2-0 defeat at Oxford he only showed two soft yellow cards. Unfortunately they were both for Timlin.

Then he was in charge of the same season's home cup replay which we drew 1-1 with Bury, going through on penalties. He did fine - other than yet another soft yellow for Timlin.

Next came Morecambe away last season when we lost 2-1, with, unusually, both yellows going to the home team.

And finally last season's play-off defeat at Burton, when, as I'm sure everyone remembers, he had a rather poor game.

He seems to be quite highly rated for reasons I've never really understood and I would always be happier with him doing our home games. His card count is amongst the lowest with just 30 yellows and 2 reds from 17 matches.

Assisting will be D Avent (which is of course an anagram of advent) and this will be the third Boxing Day in a row that he has been running the line in our away match - quite a co-incidence.

So assistants are David Avent from Northampton and fast rising, black official Akil Howson from Leicester with Andrew Aylott from Kempston as 4th Official.

So assistants are David Avent from Northampton and fast rising, black official Akil Howson from Leicester with Andrew Aylott from Kempston as 4th Official.

Great as always Mick, cheers.

Just to point out, what I have highlighted in the quote doesn't need to be there really. Unnecessary if you ask me.

But as I say, otherwise, a good read! :thumbsup:...apart from the memories i now have of his more than poor performance at Burton. :stunned:

Just to point out, what I have highlighted in the quote doesn't need to be there really. Unnecessary if you ask me.

But as I say, otherwise, a good read! :thumbsup:...apart from the memories i now have of his more than poor performance at Burton. :stunned:
A minor detail to help identify who is who, I'd have said!

Maybe it's best Timlin doesn't start at Cambridge in view of the report!

I'm not asking you !

Purely descriptive as correctly stated by OBL. I'd have mentioned it if he were fat, bald, tall, short or, as recently, female. I don't recall you picking me up for mentioning that female one.

Oh dear, we do live in strange times don't we, even the Police Service went through a spell where they were afraid to describe suspects of crime as being black!! Fortunately common sense has since prevailed and it seems we are all now allowed to know if someone is factually black, white or mixed race when they are being described to us. It is difficult for me to see why this should be considered in any way offensive or inappropriate when used in this context?

Anyway great work Mick as always, Ref watch being one of the best features on here, thanks for all your effort.

Mouth again in foot time AL.

Oh dear, we do live in strange times don't we, even the Police Service went through a spell where they were afraid to describe suspects of crime as being black!! Fortunately common sense has since prevailed and it seems we are all now allowed to know if someone is factually black, white or mixed race when they are being described to us. It is difficult for me to see why this should be considered in any way offensive or inappropriate when used in this context?

Anyway great work Mick as always, Ref watch being one of the best features on here, thanks for all your effort.

agree with this

Very well said sir, mad world we live in, constantly pandering to the loony PC minority (am I allowed to say this?) Most of us fed up with walking on egg shells. Rant over. COYBB

That's true, but I also notice that the quote is:

and not:
So assistants are white David Avent from Northampton and fast rising, black official Akil Howson from Leicester with Andrew Aylott from Kempston as 4th Official.

If this were purely to aid description it could just as easily have been:

So assistants are white David Avent from Northampton and fast rising, Akil Howson from Leicester with Andrew Aylott from Kempston as 4th Official.

But it wasn't.

I'm sure no malice was intended, but I also think that Agent Lomas has a genuine point.

London blue are you for real? You wouldn't describe David Avent as white because 97% of officials ARE white. That would be like describing him as Two-legged or fully-haired. Some people look for racism where it doesn't exist. They should return to their Guardian and their homes in Islington.

London blue are you for real? You wouldn't describe David Avent as white because 97% of officials ARE white. That would be like describing him as Two-legged or fully-haired. Some people look for racism where it doesn't exist. They should return to their Guardian and their homes in Islington.

Exactly. :clap:

What if they were all white? The one with the moustache? No need to point out that one of the officials is black really.

OK DWB, using that logic, there should be no need to point out that all bar about 3 managers in the premier and football league are white. If you can't acknowledge colour when it comes to identification, then you can't acknowledge it when looking at the number of managers having a particular colour. You can't have it both ways, sunshine.

OK DWB, using that logic, there should be no need to point out that all bar about 3 managers in the premier and football league are white. If you can't acknowledge colour when it comes to identification, then you can't acknowledge it when looking at the number of managers having a particular colour. You can't have it both ways, sunshine.

No idea what you are talking about 'sunshine'. I have never referenced a persons colour when being attributed to a job. Colour doesn't matter, they are either managers or officials who have got the badges they need to do their job. People harp on about only being x amount of black managers, officials or whatever but what does it matter? People will do the job they want.

Back