• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Cambridge United boss Mark Bonner learnt trade with Southend United

I remember Mark Bonner joining the club when Ricky Duncan returned from Cambridge United in 2005. Mark was Lead Foundation Phase Coach (U9s-U12s) and Luke Hobbs was Lead Development Phase Coach (U13s-U16s).

Mark has gone on to be Academy Manager and now First Team Manager at Cambridge, whilst Luke is Head of Academy Coaching at Arsenal, with additional responsibilities for recruitment and development, having also held the role of Interim Academy Manager with the Gunners for a period.

Then you can add former youth team coach Dave Huzzey, who is now Academy Manager at Colchester United, and Luke's successor as Lead Development Phase Coach, David Johnson, who left to join West Ham United's Academy, and you realise that the Blues Academy has been successful in producing staff as well as players.

I remember Mark Bonner joining the club when Ricky Duncan returned from Cambridge United in 2005. Mark was Lead Foundation Phase Coach (U9s-U12s) and Luke Hobbs was Lead Development Phase Coach (U13s-U16s).

Mark has gone on to be Academy Manager and now First Team Manager at Cambridge, whilst Luke is Head of Academy Coaching at Arsenal, with additional responsibilities for recruitment and development, having also held the role of Interim Academy Manager with the Gunners for a period.

Then you can add former youth team coach Dave Huzzey, who is now Academy Manager at Colchester United, and Luke's successor as Lead Development Phase Coach, David Johnson, who left to join West Ham United's Academy, and you realise that the Blues Academy has been successful in producing staff as well as players.

So is that how we got hold of Olayinka?

Had Mark as a coach in the youth set up for 5 years and still keep in contact with him now, top coach but most importantly a top bloke. Whilst he did release me (quite rightly), I haven’t a bad word to say about him.

really happy to see him flying high, and hope to see him as Southend manager one day as we are the club that have him the platform to get to where he is today.

Makes you wonder how we’ve managed to hold on to Ricky Duncan

Last edited:
We have a good relationship via Ricky to Arsenal primarily from Isaac Hayden, I believe. Helped steer Bentley and Yearwood our way after they left Arsenal.
Arsenal and Southend have always had a good relationship. One people often forget was the centre forward in my side, Stephy Mavididi. Went to arsenal from us and now has a serie A medal with Juve alongside a certain CR7

Had Mark as a coach in the youth set up for 5 years and still keep in contact with him now, top coach but most importantly a top bloke. Whilst he did release me (quite rightly), I haven’t a bad word to say about him.

really happy to see him flying high, and hope to see him as Southend manager one day as we are the club that have him the platform to get to where he is today.
Mark was my lads coach for 3 years before he went back to Cambridge. A top coach and a top man . He was brilliant, bumped into him at Cambridge when Nottingham uni played Cambridge uni . Came over to say hello and watched some of the game .

Back