• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cambridge Utd 0-0 Southend Utd

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Good battling display and a well deserved point. Only downside is the injury to Akinola. All post match stuff here please.

Cambridge were quite chirpy and had a strut about them (which you’d expect from the league leaders) but at times it was hard to tell who was at the top and who were practically bottom. I was thankful though that their set pieces were dreadful. A great point, despite the ref, who suddenly found his yellow cards towards the end (how the 6 avoided one in the first half I’ll never know).
Oxley – Another game when he didn’t have to do much – good save in first half (but a nice height for him).
Elvis – Good, covered well and always available.
White – Thought he’d struggle at first against the 20 (reminded me of Ross Jenkins – older Zoners will remember him) but stuck to his task well. Was he booked at the interval for reminding the ref (again) how much he’d missed/let go.
Hobson – Did his job well.
Clifford – my MOM – tight on his opponent, sharp in the tackle and got forward too.
Ferguson – Good game, composed, disciplined and always looked like he had time on the ball (sign of a good player).
Dieng – Good first half, reacted to well to snuff out danger but by-passed bit too easily second period.
Taylor – Nearly back to his old self but thwarted a couple of by the sand pit in their box.
ANG – I’m a fan, as he ghosts past people with ease, but again needed to move the ball quicker to those in better positions.
Akinola – looked composed and confident on the ball, one great chance second half but his side-footer was blocked. Withdrawn with what could have been concussion.
Acquah – Thought he started well, showed great touch and held the ball up well but too often reacted slowly to the loose/oncoming ball (and needs more aggression).

Two things – who were all the dudes behind the goal to the right?
How many short keepers are there in League Two?

Another good point. I know this is easier to say this week than it was last week, but really, anyone who cannot see the progress this group of players under this manager have made is either very stubborn or just doesn’t want to see it. It’s chalk and cheese.

There will still be some drubbings along the way while consistency is found and hard wired, but short bursts of good results and resilience in keeping some clean sheets will be enough to stay up.

The side is hard to break down, very well organised, tactically on the ball and every single player is pulling the same direction......never underestimate that!!!

A very fair point and even game. Unlike Tuesday, was actually quite a good game.

Still missing that final touch but given where the club was, this is a big step up. Winning one against a team in the playoffs and being competitive against top of the table with two clean sheets, great reaction to Port Vale.

Our 8th clean sheet of the season, much better. Shame we've been trounced a few times then our GD wouldn't be as bad

This game showed just how tight league 2 is from top to bottom. A neutral would struggle to identify who was top and who was nearly bottom watching that.
Really good all round team effort I cant wait for olayinka to come back into the team and dare I say it a striker who knows where the goal is?.

Ditch the 3 at the back and we return to looking very hard to break down and keep 2 clean sheets on the spin (funny that)... against two of the top sides too!

Could have won it but it's important we didn't lose it as we didn't deserve to get beat.

That was a very very good performance, Ferguson has made a real impact by just getting on with things quietly.

I thought Acquah was brilliant at holding up the ball and at times he occupied 2 or 3 defenders something he didn't do earlier in the season, we're good enough to stay up and probably will, MM has actually done a decent job with the cards he was dealt

Really proud of those boys today. A massive point and a fantastic performance. Celebrated the draw like it was a win. Huge to now be out the relegation zone too. I know there‘s games in hand etc. but getting out the relegation zone and taking 4 points from 6 against top of the league and 5th must be a real confidence booster for the team.

Solid team performance and no one had a bad game. But Taylor, Akinola and ANG were class. ANG probably being my MOTM. What a player.

Very well played southend
First time for a long time was not a nervous wreck when the ball went in our penalty area .
We are a bit lacking as we all know in scoring ..but a good performance

Good game! Played well!! if only we had ranger or Holmes in the side with the ability to score a goal.!! I really hope mark molsley has learnt that four at the back works and gets us results.If only he hadnt tinkered with systems and playing 5 at the back we would have definitely got more points.! Well done blues, 4 points out of 6 against supposedly good opposition is a great return.Also looking at the table and seeing we are out of the bottom 2 must be great for our players confidence and gives us real hope and belief!!

All things considered (pitch, opposition etc...) I actually thought that was our best performance of the season.

ANG MOM for me yet again. Thought Acquah had his best game for the club so far (although still plenty for him to work on).

And no, I haven’t been drinking

Cambridge were quite chirpy and had a strut about them (which you’d expect from the league leaders) but at times it was hard to tell who was at the top and who were practically bottom. I was thankful though that their set pieces were dreadful. A great point, despite the ref, who suddenly found his yellow cards towards the end (how the 6 avoided one in the first half I’ll never know).
Oxley – Another game when he didn’t have to do much – good save in first half (but a nice height for him).
Elvis – Good, covered well and always available.
White – Thought he’d struggle at first against the 20 (reminded me of Ross Jenkins – older Zoners will remember him) but stuck to his task well. Was he booked at the interval for reminding the ref (again) how much he’d missed/let go.
Hobson – Did his job well.
Clifford – my MOM – tight on his opponent, sharp in the tackle and got forward too.
Ferguson – Good game, composed, disciplined and always looked like he had time on the ball (sign of a good player).
Dieng – Good first half, reacted to well to snuff out danger but by-passed bit too easily second period.
Taylor – Nearly back to his old self but thwarted a couple of by the sand pit in their box.
ANG – I’m a fan, as he ghosts past people with ease, but again needed to move the ball quicker to those in better positions.
Akinola – looked composed and confident on the ball, one great chance second half but his side-footer was blocked. Withdrawn with what could have been concussion.
Acquah – Thought he started well, showed great touch and held the ball up well but too often reacted slowly to the loose/oncoming ball (and needs more aggression).

Two things – who were all the dudes behind the goal to the right?
How many short keepers are there in League Two?

He was berating the lino, cos their forward was about a yard offside, and he didn't raise his flag,
needless booking though

Back