• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cambridge Utd 0-0 Southend Utd

A good solid performance just shows if we had a sprinkle of stardust we wouldn't be sweating about relegation. Goals win games and we still need something up top.

Acquah gets stick because he isnt good enough. He isnt, its plainly obvious. pretty much all strikers who dont score goals get stick.

I feel for him though as he shouldnt be in this position and its far worse for him as he is sadly a constant reminder that the club,mm,rm whoever havent bought in a striker who can score goals.

I dont agree with the name calling, but people are allowed to express their opinions.

I'm not getting the Acquah love, he looked to be poor in his decision making, an ineffective target man and weak in his challenges. Found him very frustrating to watch.

I thought we missed Kyle Taylor when he was subbed - I assume that was precautionary. Ferguson was playing too deep, two players we really didn't get the best out of today. On the contrary though, Ash Nathaniel-George had an immense game, my MOTM. Hope Akinola is ok, he's an important player.

Defensively, Ox had a good game, Elvis and John were back to their battling best, and young Tom Clifford showed his versatility. Elvis was also getting forward well and played a sublime pass that beat their defence late on - if only it had been Akinola, Reeco or ANG who got on the end of it.

Ox - 7
Bwomono - 7.5
White - 7.5
Hobson - 6.5
Clifford - 7
Ferguson - 6.5
Dieng - 6.5
Taylor - 7.5
Nathaniel-George - 8.5
Akinola - 8
Acquah - 6.5

Subs:
Reeco for Taylor -7, odd sub, did ok when he came on
Goodship for Akinola - n/a, good to see him back, a good run through where he was fouled

Officials were ok, expected a lot worse than we got!

Last edited:
I almost feel with kyle taylor his game has been bought down to league 2 level... hopefully he can ascend to the level he was at when he first arrived i thought he was our best player for quite a time.

Acquah gets stick because he isnt good enough. He isnt, its plainly obvious. pretty much all strikers who dont score goals get stick.

I feel for him though as he shouldnt be in this position and its far worse for him as he is sadly a constant reminder that the club,mm,rm whoever havent bought in a striker who can score goals.

I dont agree with the name calling, but people are allowed to express their opinions.
It just puzzles me when certain players (now gone) swan around stealing a wage and get off scot free.. Acquah isn’t not trying, he’s not taking the ****, he’s not said he hates it here or laughed at us. He’s a decent kid and the stick he gets every time he plays is a bit much. That’s my opinion that I’m also allowed to express.

I have just a few points to make.
Strikers generally need a run of games in a side, with a regular partner and midfield so that the " wave lengths" and understanding becomes 2nd nature, that hasn't happened here this season AND maybe that is a big factor in not getting goals?
Defence has benefited from some stability in selection.
Midfield is constantly changing, hit and miss, from game to game.
I suspect Kyle Taylor is still suffering from a sort of covid fatigue, his going off was not hard to predict.

It just puzzles me when certain players (now gone) swan around stealing a wage and get off scot free.. Acquah isn’t not trying, he’s not taking the ****, he’s not said he hates it here or laughed at us. He’s a decent kid and the stick he gets every time he plays is a bit much. That’s my opinion that I’m also allowed to express.

Agree totally, still Goodship is fit now so he will probably become the next target for those who think we can somehow magic up the prolific striker every team is looking for.

I’ll trust MM’s judgement on Acquah as a footballer, but him not signing the contract we offered him until he realised he wasn’t getting anything anywhere else has hardly helped us warm to him. How he thought he was too good for us I’ll never know.

I agree with you. And i dont slate him. He just isnt good enough particularly in our current plight.

I have been critical of Acquah but credit to him today he battled up top on his own and played like the target man we’ve missed all season. One thing that seemed to help is that we didn’t seem to boot it to his head but more to his body and feet which he was far more comfortable controlling and winning.

4/6 points away to top and 5th with two clean sheets?
The project is well and truly back on!

A really excellant performance today. Go as far as to say possibly our best all round performance, just missing the goal. Tuesday we went toe to toe with a promotion chasing outfit and again against top of the table. Cambridge however looked poor and summed up this league. Lacking quality but the teams at the top have goalscorers something that we are still lacking. No arguement with our set up today, no arguement with our effort and no arguement with our overall play, we just lacked in the final third. Our set pieces and crossing in general was awful. But we defended excellantly and gave them very little which is huge improvement on past weeks. In a back 4 White and Hobson were assured and composed, which highlights the question again, why did we change to a back 3 or 5 during that horrendous run a few weeks back. ANG gets better every game but again needs to learn to release the ball at the right times, Taylor still lacks match fitness but showed some nice touches and both Dieng and the impressive Ferguson were solid in the middle. Akinola was excellant and caused them trouble throughout but without ever threatening the goal, something that needs to be worked on. Acquah, struggled early on but improved as the game wore on and probably had his best game, the one clear shot he had he hit the side netting when going across the goal was the better option. So a point it is and out of the bottom two although Barrow have games in hand. If we can bring in maybe Simpson or A Another, Ranger and Homles we may get that goal threat that we need. Credit to MM to get 4 points from these two very difficult games but with a hint of disappointment with what went on during that awful run of defeats. Clearly 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 suits this team and players. We now have a strong bench but we must with Bolton, FGR and Salford our next three find a way to put the ball in the net and for that 1 or 2 urgent additions are needed

Back