• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cambridge Utd 0-0 Southend Utd

No ones mentioned the delightful pass Elvis played over the top which led to Acquahs snapshot.

Glad you have now though! Thought it was class watching it live but looks even better watching it back on the replays. It was inch perfect. What a goal it would’ve been if Emile had laced it in.

I dont rate MM when he says he is happy with what he has got ?? but we dont have anybody who can score goals, just confirms my thoughts on the man

We can’t strengthen the squad any longer as the window is shut. He’s trying to build confidence in the players. He can hardly come out and say “most of these lads aren’t good enough and the strikers can’t finish a bag of crisps at the moment so I fear we’re ****ed” can he?

It will be interesting to see how well Emile does 5 years down the line. He is only 20 and men don’t reach full muscle maturity until somewhere between 20 years and 30. The brain continues to fully develop until the age of 25, so our Emile has a way to go but is no doubt learning fast

He's caught at a tricky time in his development. Physically, playing in the U23s is no good to him now, he's clearly a big number 9 and he needs to be playing men's football, being clattered by centre halves every week, learning the tricks of the trade and how to use his strength to occupy defenders and create space for his team mates. However, I'd argue he's not yet good enough to be playing in the Football League regularly.

In an ideal world he'd be on loan in the division below or possibly even below that, learning the game and playing against big strong centre halves, at a level he finds relatively challenging but can compete in.

But of course we've got ourselves into a situation where we need him here because of the lack of alternatives.

In many ways it's fortunate we got the chance to compare his performance directly with that of the senior Greg Halford a few days earlier. It was very clear, despite the difference in experience and age, which one was a striker and which was a defender being asked to do an uinfamiliar job. Acquah's performance vs Cambridge was noticeably superior to Halford's vs Newport.

I think MM sees long-term potential in Acquah, as do many fans. I think he wants him here, but ideally he'd have a better option for the short-term.

Yes he can add to the squad by out of contract players, so get your facts right

He's caught at a tricky time in his development. Physically, playing in the U23s is no good to him now, he's clearly a big number 9 and he needs to be playing men's football, being clattered by centre halves every week, learning the tricks of the trade and how to use his strength to occupy defenders and create space for his team mates. However, I'd argue he's not yet good enough to be playing in the Football League regularly.

In an ideal world he'd be on loan in the division below or possibly even below that, learning the game and playing against big strong centre halves, at a level he finds relatively challenging but can compete in.

But of course we've got ourselves into a situation where we need him here because of the lack of alternatives.

In many ways it's fortunate we got the chance to compare his performance directly with that of the senior Greg Halford a few days earlier. It was very clear, despite the difference in experience and age, which one was a striker and which was a defender being asked to do an uinfamiliar job. Acquah's performance vs Cambridge was noticeably superior to Halford's vs Newport.

I think MM sees long-term potential in Acquah, as do many fans. I think he wants him here, but ideally he'd have a better option for the short-term.

Totally agree

Emiles still got that young mans awkwardness, especially for a lad with such physical attributes. Its a a bit like watching a young duck walk on ice, trying to coordinate the brain with limbs that do their own thing a bit. We have already started to see him hold up the ball better and opponents ,but still struggles to control a football well although so did Theo.
He pings the ball about struggling to make a decent pass and doesnt get off the ground much, neither did Crouch, Certainly his pace is up a bit and I can see more sense to his positioning. So hopefully much to look forward too IF progress continues, Certainly thrown in the deep end without armbands a little too early, but so was my dad in the marines when he couldnt swim and he went on to gain quite a few medals

I dont rate MM when he says he is happy with what he has got ?? but we dont have anybody who can score goals, just confirms my thoughts on the man
It’s called PR my friend ,to keep the team spirits up

I ll be the 1st to admit ive never been an Acquah fan - i even rolled my eyes & yelled FFS when i saw his name in the starting line up.

But fair play to the lad , he really played his part on Saturday. He was much stronger , and actually his 1st touch was sensational - the ball stuck to his feet like velcro. I wonder if he is learning from Akinola as he has one of the best 1st touches ive seen in the lower leagues. Hopefully his quality if rubbing off on those around him.

Against Cambridge Emile looked so much sharper. We know hes not the nippiest , his bulk wont allow that , but often i thought in the past his brain was 2 seconds too slow aswell. But in this game he seemed far more alert , finally he was anticipating the ball , where the defender is , his team mates runs around him. I am absolutely delighted to see this , as i always love to see our Youth players come through , if they are good enough.
Somebody mentioned how the likes of Lee Barnard used to back in , pull and push slyly and cause proper chaos to any defence despite Barny's size. Ive been saying the same thing for ages & i see Barny quite a bit as he lives near me. If Emile can learn some of these tricks he will become a right handful . I think Emile is actually a nice guy , maybe too nice to be a fearsome targetman , but hopefully his confidence can soar + he can channel the right aggression into his game. He has got a decent shot on him , but if he can add extra sharpness + learn to time his headers or just put defenders off , he can really be an asset for us

Best performance by Southend all season - we won our battles all over the park. The system was perfect and worked a treat. Well done Molesley !!!! Thoroughly deserved a point , probably all 3 & was pretty close to doing so.

Keep it up Blues !!!!

All our players 8/10 , apart from, man of the match Nathaniel-George 9/10

He reminds me so much of one of my all time favourite players Mark Gower when he drops a shoulder & glides past a defender or two or 3 ! He just never loses the ball , is so strong to ride a challenge or shield the ball . If he could shoot properly i honestly think he would be a very decent premier player!!!!! UTB

Just seen that Ben Mee is out for six days after being checked for concussion in the Burnley game so hopefully if Sim is OK, he should be able to play on Saturday ??

I ll be the 1st to admit ive never been an Acquah fan - i even rolled my eyes & yelled FFS when i saw his name in the starting line up.

But fair play to the lad , he really played his part on Saturday. He was much stronger , and actually his 1st touch was sensational - the ball stuck to his feet like velcro. I wonder if he is learning from Akinola as he has one of the best 1st touches ive seen in the lower leagues. Hopefully his quality if rubbing off on those around him.

Against Cambridge Emile looked so much sharper. We know hes not the nippiest , his bulk wont allow that , but often i thought in the past his brain was 2 seconds too slow aswell. But in this game he seemed far more alert , finally he was anticipating the ball , where the defender is , his team mates runs around him. I am absolutely delighted to see this , as i always love to see our Youth players come through , if they are good enough.
Somebody mentioned how the likes of Lee Barnard used to back in , pull and push slyly and cause proper chaos to any defence despite Barny's size. Ive been saying the same thing for ages & i see Barny quite a bit as he lives near me. If Emile can learn some of these tricks he will become a right handful . I think Emile is actually a nice guy , maybe too nice to be a fearsome targetman , but hopefully his confidence can soar + he can channel the right aggression into his game. He has got a decent shot on him , but if he can add extra sharpness + learn to time his headers or just put defenders off , he can really be an asset for us

Best performance by Southend all season - we won our battles all over the park. The system was perfect and worked a treat. Well done Molesley !!!! Thoroughly deserved a point , probably all 3 & was pretty close to doing so.

Keep it up Blues !!!!

I agree with all of that except for the " sensational first touch and the ball sticking to Emiles feet like Velcro".. Funny the way we see things but I like you thought he did very well and Im sure we are both desperate for him to succeed. But sensational first touch and Velcro man, didnt come to my mind and I dont think thats Emile , just yet.
I saw balls bouncing of his legs, knees feet, chest, struggling to control the ball, falling over almost under pressure , in his brave efforts regularly as he battled well, and I admit I got frustrated at exactly the opposite to yourself. Velcro man I like it , Its a funny old game and it shows how differently we each see things

I look forward to our new Sensational Velcro Mans next performance though , no pressure and to be apologizing to you

I agree with all of that except for the " sensational first touch and the ball sticking to Emiles feet like Velcro".. Funny the way we see things but I like you thought he did very well and Im sure we are both desperate for him to succeed. But sensational first touch and Velcro man, didnt come to my mind and I dont think thats Emile , just yet.
I saw balls bouncing of his legs, knees feet, chest, struggling to control the ball, falling over almost under pressure , in his brave efforts regularly as he battled well, and I admit I got frustrated at exactly the opposite to yourself. Velcro man I like it , Its a funny old game and it shows how differently we each see things

I look forward to our new Sensational Velcro Mans next performance though , no pressure and to be apologizing to you
I though Emile's first touch was good on Saturday. He is good to feet.

Keep it up Blues !!!!

Barny was more poacher than target man. I would prefer to see Emile be far more Roy than Barny.

Yes he has had one sending off but that was for 2 girly yellows.....Simply not good enough, lets have a few straight reds. Even if its reckless, early on and costs us 3 points. At least he could become a Southend legend, with books written about him and perhaps a show at the Palace theatre.

As far as I'm aware he hasn't even had so much as a town centre drunken scuffle or a girlfriend reporting him to police. police.

We have a proud history at this club of our big number 9's letting us down but at least we can feel a connection and hero worship them......Someone needs to sit him down and explain whats expected when following in the footsteps of giants.

Last edited:
Back