• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Campbell Vs. Hutchinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately he is starting to have the same apparent issues Jack Payne had (of course he is not as good as Jack currently but then the team is also weaker). Primarily what formation suits him and have we got the right resources currently to make that the best selection.

A 3412 or 4312 or something that has a number 10 behind the front two would be ideal.

I know we are going down anyway but that doesn't mean we don't want to pick the moist competitive team we have for each game based on who we have available.

I don't think (or hope) that those who see his areas for improvement don't also accept he has talent- as he does for sure.
Play 4-2-3-1 with Hutch in the number 10 role behind the main striker.

I don't like pretending I know more than the manager but last night I think bringing on Hutch, moving Macca to the left, bringing on Barratt to play on the right and moving Clifford to left-back (which I think was the right move as Kyps was understandably struggling a bit) would have had more of an impact as it would have given Gills something new to think about.

Kelman played well but had two marking him all game. With Hutch on and finding space between the Gills' midfield and their defence there would be a dilemma for them as to who would pick him up, meaning Kelman could potentially find more space to do damage.

Assuming you're talking about SM, he's never struck me as a troublemaker (although I appreciate that you do have a better insight than most on these issues), and maybe he just needed to be away from the others in that group. I don't think anyone can ever doubt his effort and work-rate, and that seems to be something that Sol values highly. Hopefully, he'll continue playing as he has, and Sol will be vindicated in his decision.

I’ve only met the man once, and he didn’t strike me as an arsehole tbh. He didn’t adhere himself to me either, by the way, but I didn’t come away from that meeting with any ill-feeling.

I can only go on what I’ve been told, and whilst that may be wrong, my source is reputable enough to believe.

Maybe Mr. McL has turned a corner, and maybe he wants to fight for his career at Southend United. He’s certainly looked better recently, although IMO that’s not saying much, as his performances & application under Brown & Powell weren’t great, to say the least.

Nevertheless, it doesn’t make sense why he gets the opportunity to make amends, whilst Hutchinson - who is seemingly not guilty of being an arsehole - gets shunned completely.

Theres more to it, than just simply not rating the young lad.

I’ve only met the man once, and he didn’t strike me as an arsehole tbh. He didn’t adhere himself to me either, by the way, but I didn’t come away from that meeting with any ill-feeling.

I can only go on what I’ve been told, and whilst that may be wrong, my source is reputable enough to believe.

Maybe Mr. McL has turned a corner, and maybe he wants to fight for his career at Southend United. He’s certainly looked better recently, although IMO that’s not saying much, as his performances & application under Brown & Powell weren’t great, to say the least.

Nevertheless, it doesn’t make sense why he gets the opportunity to make amends, whilst Hutchinson - who is seemingly not guilty of being an arsehole - gets shunned completely.

Macca's performances weren't great under Brown and Powell? Really? 17/18 (Brown/Powell crossover season) saw him get 7 goals and 16 assists. I'd say that's brilliant. Last season he wasn't good but there was rarely a player who was.

I don't know of his personality or attitude, but his performances under a lot of Brown and early Powell were excellent

Amazing when players switch it on coming to the end of their contracts.

Macca's performances weren't great under Brown and Powell? Really? 17/18 (Brown/Powell crossover season) saw him get 7 goals and 16 assists. I'd say that's brilliant. Last season he wasn't good but there was rarely a player who was.

I don't know of his personality or attitude, but his performances under a lot of Brown and early Powell were excellent

Yeah I know, I’ve heard the stats before. And as has been mentioned in this thread, stats can be misleading.

I just think the last thing we need right now is yet another manager and having appointed the manager a few months ago the chairman needs to back him and his judgement for a little longer or we look an even more hopeless case to any possible replacement. I don't know if Sol is the right man or not but it's too early to say he's not.

I agree that stability is the one thing this club needs right now.

But again, worth remembering that Campbell wasn’t Ron’s first or second choice appointment.

The saga dragged on far too long, and when Ron’s preferred options fell apart, he knew he had to appoint someone, anyone quickly enough to appease the fans & try and save the season. Enter Sol.

Only Ron knows what going through his own head (insert joke here), but I’ve heard the rumblings already, and they’re not good.

He's no leach then?

I'm waiting for Ron to sack Sol, Cole and Co and take it all on his own shoulders.

Jesus Christ, imagine if he turned out to be a managerial masterclass, and guided us to the upper echelons of world football.

Breaking News: Club Statement from the Manager/Chairman

“Now what, bunch of ****ing internet nerds, get it right up ya! ****ing question me & my methods will ya, FF will now be re-evaluated into a new 150,000 seater stadium, with its own little breakaway town built around it, simply called Warchester. And it won’t be Southend United Football Club anymore, we’ll now be known as Warchest United FC. Bunch of ingrates”.

Last edited:
Im so happy most offyou lot are not managers of this club , im sure we would have been extinct along timeago along with the dodo birds

Im so happy most offyou lot are not managers of this club , im sure we would have been extinct a long time ago along with the dodo birds

Nope, they're still about, the dodo birds. An Arthur Daley type, sold my mate one. He sent me this photo of it.
images

Sack Sol to keep a bit part 19 year old ? Good grief. And get who as manager ? The bit part players dad ?

I don't think GBJ and the rest of us are suggesting that. The question covers the wider aspect of Chairman over Manger and how it affects their.

Many of you think a managers has the right and should exercise that right to overrule his Chairman. Some of you think it should always be the way with Ron. Sorry to disappoint but thats not how it works.

Before we go any further, none of us know whats really going on behind the scenes and we have no prove that Ron and Sol have fallen out over Hutch or anyone else. There obviously has to be some give and take, like any of you have when you work for the owner of a business.

PB told me directly that he has worked for far worse chairman than Ron.

The modern manager has a very short life expectancy.....Every Chairman has a 5 year plan, in most cases the targets are not achievable and with never enough money. The fans now have social media, which means the people you avoid like the plague in the pub now get a voice. As we have witnessed in recent times lots of mangers are disliked before they set foot in the club. Some fans will be desperate to prove their point and have 'campaign' style threads every week.

The worse thing that has emerged from all this....Players can now down tools whenever they like and the manger gets the blame. There have been more than a dozen claims of the worst ever performance in the last months. Some are just drama queen stuff, like 0-1 up at Rochdale and some because of the score like 1-7 v Donny. The worse one for me was 3-0 rochdale at home because the fans wanted Bond out, so were happy to lose and those p*** takers were happy to oblige. It will be denied now but at the time they were still pulling the wool over far to many eyes.

Sol came here obviously expecting to be able to change things. Both with the squad he inherited and by signing a few in Jan. Some players were on a go slow and deliberately divisive in the changing room. He couldn't change them and neither could AB have done because they wanted to be elsewhere. Combine that with too higher wages and we find ourselves in a real sad state of affairs.

Nobody complained when Ron was overspending. Just like Bury fans its exactly what you demanded, in fact some of you still want it now and risk next season.

Anyway Ron will survive and so will the club. We will sign some more experienced players in the summer and hopefully retained enough of best academy lads to see some good football next season.

Whatever you think of Sol, he will join the long list of good men who find that SUFC ruins your managerial career. Even though it won't be his fault, the fans of the next club (if there is one) will just see a failure turning up.....So unlike us, he really is F*****.

Last edited:
I don't think GBJ and the rest of us are suggesting that. The question covers the wider aspect of Chairman over Manger and how it affects their.

Many of you think a managers has the right and should exercise that right to overrule his Chairman. Some of you think it should always be the way with Ron. Sorry to disappoint but thats not how it works.

Before we go any further, none of us know whats really going on behind the scenes and we have no prove that Ron and Sol have fallen out over Hutch or anyone else. There obviously has to be some give and take, like any of you have when you work for the owner of a business.

PB told me directly that he has worked for far worse chairman than Ron.

The modern manager has a very short life expectancy.....Every Chairman has a 5 year plan, in most cases the targets are not achievable and with never enough money. The fans now have social media, which means the people you avoid like the plague in the pub now get a voice. As we have witnessed in recent times lots of mangers are disliked before they set foot in the club. Some fans will be desperate to prove their point and have 'campaign' style threads every week.

The worse thing that has emerged from all this....Players can now down tools whenever they like and the manger gets the blame. There have been more than a dozen claims of the worst ever performance in the last months. Some are just drama queen stuff, like 0-1 up at Rochdale and some because of the score like 1-7 v Donny. The worse one for me was 3-0 rochdale at home because the fans wanted Bond out, so were happy to lose and those p*** takers were happy to oblige. It will be denied now but at the time they were still pulling the wool over far to many eyes.

Sol came here obviously expecting to be able to change things. Both with the squad he inherited and by signing a few in Jan. Some players were on a go slow and deliberately divisive in the changing room. He couldn't change them and neither could AB have done because they wanted to be elsewhere. Combine that with too higher wages and we find ourselves in a real sad state of affairs.

Nobody complained when Ron was overspending. Just like Bury fans its exactly what you demanded, in fact some of you still want it now and risk next season.

Anyway Ron will survive and so will the club. We will sign some more experienced players in the summer and hopefully retained enough of best academy lads to see some good football next season.

Whatever you think of Sol, he will join the long list of good men who find that SUFC ruins your managerial career. Even though it won't be his fault, the fans of the next club (if there is one) will just see a failure turning up.....So unlike us, he really is F*****.

Good points well made but........the 1-0 defeat at Rochdale was definitely up there amongst the worst ever performances.......

I was a bit baffled by Shaug coming on, but with Gills pumping up high balls, it probably made sense to have someone able to win headers in there. The frustrating thing for me was waiting until the 85th minute to bring another forward on.

In regards Hutchinson, I felt he was pretty poor when he came on, on Saturday and an example of that was an easy pass down the line, that he completely over hit. However overall I do like Hutchinson, but maybe Tuesday just wasn't the game for him. I actually thought the midfield 3 played ok.

Sol has gone, Hutch is looking happy and staying so, as per thread title, Hutch has won.

Hopefully this young man will show his potential, score a few from set pie es and set a fe goals up.

Lastly, what does his dad now have to say? Anyone Twitter or such follow him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back