• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Campbell Vs. Hutchinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hutchinson is a luxury player. Maybe in a better side he might shine, but the lad can't head a ball and bottles tackles. Hell bent on trying to beat men rather than at times play the simple ball says all you need to know about why Sol doesn't play him. The likes of Egbri and Clifford who are both much smaller put in way more effort and never shy away from a tackle. Maybe one day he will prove many wrong but at the moment he isn't up for the fight

What is this great fascination with Hutchinson? He really ain’t that good , can’t defend to save his life , I’d say Egbri is better in the air and yes he can dribble the ball but it never comes to anything anyway usually just runs into a crowd and loses it .

This.

Hutchinson has some good qualities, for sure - but is slow, will not head a ball, pretends to challenge, gets caught in possession, can't pick a pass... he was absolutely awful when coming on last Saturday.

Of all the youngsters, he would be one I would move on first. His positive qualities might get him through somewhere, but that won't be here.

Gillingham’s main tactic was hoofball and it was working because they were winning everything in the air. So putting Shaughnessy on made sense to me. Sure, he could have put Hutchinson on as well but It’s not like Hutchinson has really shown he can change a game at any other point this season, so I’m not sure why tonight would have been any different.

Hutchinson is a luxury player. Maybe in a better side he might shine, but the lad can't head a ball and bottles tackles. Hell bent on trying to beat men rather than at times play the simple ball says all you need to know about why Sol doesn't play him. The likes of Egbri and Clifford who are both much smaller put in way more effort and never shy away from a tackle. Maybe one day he will prove many wrong but at the moment he isn't up for the fight
We need players who try to beat a man, for God sake. It's called skill and sometimes it may not come off. Give me that over effort alone. By the way I don't include Clifford in your comparison, as he shows exceptional ability and great promise. But Egbri clearly tired at half-time and was only making up the numbers in the last 30 mins. Given the fact that poor Charlie Kelman was constantly up against two defenders, the only likely opportunity of scoring would have been from a piece of skill or creativity, and other than Isaac, who exactly out there was going to provide that?

I heard an opinion on Saturday that Mr Campbell went off Isaac because Isaac took a dive in the game at Dover. I wasn’t at Dover so wouldn’t know if this was true or not.
You were very luck not to be!!

We need players who try to beat a man, for God sake. It's called skill and sometimes it may not come off. Give me that over effort alone. By the way I don't include Clifford in your comparison, as he shows exceptional ability and great promise. But Egbri clearly tired at half-time and was only making up the numbers in the last 30 mins. Given the fact that poor Charlie Kelman was constantly up against two defenders, the only likely opportunity of scoring would have been from a piece of skill or creativity, and other than Isaac, who exactly out there was going to provide that?

Sam Barrett?

Remember everyone, this isn’t a thread specifically about whether you rate Hutchinson or not, it’s whether his career at Southend, will outlive Sol’s or not

so tired of theanti sol thing a couple of posters are trying to get going ....

are you spurs fans really - ?

and unless you are really stupid you will have noticed the Shoughnessy long throw was doing a good job - and having height and strength in the middle of the park was vital ...

Hutchiinson is a good player - hes 19 - there is no rush for him -

in our current situation having to read negative and nasty posts about the manager of SUFC is dreary and dull - and obvioulsy the posters have some ridiculous agenda/grudge blah blah ...

Yep - and I would have put Hutch on at 70 mins but can absolutley see the sense in Rush and Shaughnessy - which v nearly worked..

You make some good points other than the fact that Hutchinson doesn't create anything. He dwells on the ball and gets caught. Egbri is quick and looks to pass and move. Yes he is raw but offers far more than Hutchinson has when given the chance.

I really like Hutchinson, think he's the one really bright creative spark we have. I can't believe that Sol would still be holding it against him for taking a dive back at the Dover game - no, there's something more to it than that.

I have heard that Sol wanted him out in January and Ron didn't so this may be, as I think I've mentioned before, just Sol showing Ron who is boss of the team. As I've also said, cutting your nose off to spite your face isn't helping us any.

This.

Hutchinson has some good qualities, for sure - but is slow, will not head a ball, pretends to challenge, gets caught in possession, can't pick a pass... he was absolutely awful when coming on last Saturday.

Of all the youngsters, he would be one I would move on first. His positive qualities might get him through somewhere, but that won't be here.
Unbelievable FBM, 15 minutes cameo and he was awlful, I agree first pass went into no man space but he has the vision to lay it off where he hoped Egbri would be, second and third touches you saw his frustration as it went nowhere, FFS he’s not yet 20,will you criticise Rush for the miss last night or Seadon for the goal
Give him and the youngsters a break, what is going behind the scenes is awlful and I believe only one winner, and when we get another youngster leave, score against us, then the same old comments will send SZ into meltdown, why did we let a good one go
I know you have the right to opinions but please these are kids starting off, it’s hard enough getting grief from away supporters but your own .....

At this point, let’s call it an educated guess.

The fact that we’re 1-0 down, at home, to a below par (and frankly mediocre) opposition, and bumbling defender, Joe Shagnessmonster ambles onto the pitch after a 3-month layoff, instead of Hutch, should tell you all you need to know.

Possibly. But it's also possible that Shaughnessy needs game time ahead of the weekend where we might actually be able to field two centre backs!

Possibly. But it's also possible that Shaughnessy needs game time ahead of the weekend where we might actually be able to field two centre backs!

I’d understand that point, and if this were a one off omission of Hutch, this thread wouldn’t have been made.

But this has been rumbling on for several weeks now.

Again, I’m not asking whether everyone thinks Hutch is good enough or not, I’m asking who will win, between him & Sol. Ron wants him here, Sol doesn’t.

It’s nothing to do with other players regaining fitness, or getting the team prepared to a certain level, which I think has been missed by a lot of posters in this thread

Campbell is well known for his monstrous ego. Isaac's continued omission looks like a petty, vengeful act of spite. As a result just about the only creative spark in the squad is frozen out and we lose game after game. Of course Hutchinson is far from the finished article and has his own limitations but Campbell should be putting the needs of the team first rather than indulging in what looks like a vendetta or at the very least, an attempt to show Martin who is boss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get Shaughnessy for Kyprianou, the latter was never going to last 90 mins. What I don’t get, at 1-0 down is lack of attacking change until 85th minute? Coventry made changes and got a result. Gills made changes and got a result. We, well we did more if the same and ended up with the same result. We did it have an embarrassment of riches on the bench, but we did have attacking options. If Rush had come on earlier, if Hutch or Barrett had come on..,Gillingham had two Centre Half’s on yellows, who knows what could have happened in the last 15/20 mins...

so tired of theanti sol thing a couple of posters are trying to get going ....

are you spurs fans really - ?

and unless you are really stupid you will have noticed the Shoughnessy long throw was doing a good job - and having height and strength in the middle of the park was vital ...

Hutchiinson is a good player - hes 19 - there is no rush for him -

in our current situation having to read negative and nasty posts about the manager of SUFC is dreary and dull - and obvioulsy the posters have some ridiculous agenda/grudge blah blah ...

Yep - and I would have put Hutch on at 70 mins but can absolutley see the sense in Rush and Shaughnessy - which v nearly worked..
I’m not “anti-Sol” and have no agenda nor am I a Spurs fan. Some of his decisions baffled me last night is all. I saw another game we could’ve won which frustrated me a bit.

I rate Hutchinson and he should’ve come on, Rush should’ve come on earlier (IMHO). I think Kelman was isolated (again). I think Clifford should’ve stayed at LB (yes he did Ok further forward) and I was puzzled why Kyp started as I think it was unnecessary tinkering (aware he needs game time but this isn’t pre season). I think bringing on a defensive player when we weren’t out the game was negative (again, Shaugnessy did alright I’m not “slagging him off”).
My overall view of Campbell is he’s got a near impossible job and on Sat, I’ll be behind both him and the players. These kids are doing fantastic, fighting for the shirt and that’s good to see.

Last edited:
I’d understand that point, and if this were a one off omission of Hutch, this thread wouldn’t have been made.

But this has been rumbling on for several weeks now.

Again, I’m not asking whether everyone thinks Hutch is good enough or not, I’m asking who will win, between him & Sol. Ron wants him here, Sol doesn’t.

It’s nothing to do with other players regaining fitness, or getting the team prepared to a certain level, which I think has been missed by a lot of posters in this thread

But I think it does. You used Shaughnessy coming on as proof of something. I'm offering an alternative view.

Moreover, you're asking the wrong question. You're asking if Hutch or Sol will win. Given you're saying Ron wants him here and Sol doesn't, surely the question is if Ron or Sol will win?

Has anyone thought that maybe Sol just doesn’t rate him. How many times have managers come into clubs and a player the fans rate the manager doesn’t and they don’t play him. We don’t see training and we don’t see what Sol sees.

I like Sol, I trust his judgement as performances have massively improved even though he has a very thin squad to select from. I like Hutchinson think there is a good player in there and I’m sure there is good reason why Sol has left him out. Maybe he doesn’t fit with the style of play he wants or he doesn’t think he fits into his squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back