• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Groyne Strain

Manager
Today was once again the true essence of football. Kids just playing for the love of the game, no dissent whatsoever, shaking hands with opponents and a 'sorry' after a foul and more shaking of hands and 3 cheers to each other after the game.

If your lad or lass isn't in a team and wants to, take them. Or just go to a match down your local park. Every Sunday I never fail to be uplifted whether my lad's team wins, loses or draws. In these days of moneymen, drugs and agents corrupting the game at the top, it's so good to see the game in its true spirit thriving at grassroots.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Great to see, My uncle manages Hawkwell under 9s or something and what i dont like is the competiveness in the game, must get everything right etc. At that age they should play and just be happy. And those kids that arnt that good shouldnt be put on the bench everygame ! its not the winning but happyness that counts.

FM.

Bollox!

Winning is everything no matter how old you are. I find these kids games are worse than pro games what with the pushy mothers/fathers who like to think they know what they are going on about.

I've seen bigger punch ups between the parents at games than I have on the pitch in mens matches.

But hey well done Groyne and son.

Dave

Bollix my arse!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Honestly McS, every single game I've seen whether my lad plays or not there's been none of this overbearing parenting you hear about.

It does help that all parents have to sign a 'code of conduct' and any transgression means they're kicked out of the club. Something which I believe is becoming increasingly common at this level.

I know in our instance that everyone gets a game. If you're one of the subs but don't get on you're guaranteed a start the next game. It works really well and all the kids know that sometimes they might not get a game one week whatever their ability. Squad rotation indeed
biggrin.gif

Football at its best in my view. But I certainly stand to be corrected.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Oct. 26 2003,19:30)]I know in our instance that everyone gets a game.  If you're one of the subs but don't get on you're guaranteed a start the next game.  It works really well and all the kids know that sometimes they might not get a game one week whatever their ability.  Squad rotation indeed    
biggrin.gif
I may have to watch this club, Superb !!!!

That is my kind of team and setup. No bloody over bearing parents and unhappy fat kids sitting on the bench cause the manager hasnt got the nerve to tell the kids dad that his not good enough.

All that matters is the kid has a smile on his face and enjoys himself !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Oct. 26 2003,19:30)]It does help that all parents have to sign a 'code of conduct' and any transgression means they're kicked out of the club.  
Can we do something similar with the fans at RH?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Oct. 26 2003,19:30)]Football at its best in my view.  But I certainly stand to be corrected.  
smile.gif
If this is the case GS then great but when I was playing at that age it certainly wasn't the case.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Oct. 26 2003,20:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Oct. 26 2003,19:30)]Football at its best in my view.  But I certainly stand to be corrected.  
smile.gif
If this is the case GS then great but when I was playing at that age it certainly wasn't the case.
The problem is Dave, it hasnt changed for most clubs.

I strongly dis-agree about letting everyone play even if they are sh*t. Im a bad loser and if you have slackers on the pitch who are just plain sh*t then all your effort is worth nothing.

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 26 2003,22:15)]I strongly dis-agree about letting everyone play even if they are sh*t. Im a bad loser and if you have slackers on the pitch who are just plain sh*t then all your effort is worth nothing.

Kev
Co-incidentally, did I say the team are top of the league at the moment?

Sometimes the good guys DO win!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Oct. 26 2003,22:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 26 2003,22:15)]I strongly dis-agree about letting everyone play even if they are sh*t. Im a bad loser and if you have slackers on the pitch who are just plain sh*t then all your effort is worth nothing.

Kev

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Well if you have a good squad that is OK but when you dont it really did **** me off...

Kev

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 26 2003,22:55)]
[b said:
[b said:

Kev

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Well if you have a good squad that is OK but when you dont it really did **** me off...

Kev

tounge.gif
Kev,

Lets put u on the bench the whole season at SZFC and see how you feel ?

they are 7-8 yr old kids for f**ks sake, let them have some fun. learn about winning later in life. This is why this country is so screwed up (well one thing on a endless list)

Each kid has a chance playing for Signet. Top club !

FM

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Oct. 26 2003,23:00)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

Kev

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Kev

tounge.gif
Kev,

they are 7-8 yr old kids for f**ks sake, let them have some fun. learn about winning later in life. This is why this country is so screwed up (well one thing  on a endless list)

FM
I wouldnt know how it would feel as after playing football for 10 years i've rarely been a sub. I just find it annoying when the sh*tters come on, you have to work double as hard (and your tiring) to cover them. If your a few goals up fine but the number of times my team have lost games in the last 1/4 is staggering.

I can accept being put on the bench (if im not good enough) but if your on there and you shouldnt be then what is the point (although at that level i can comprimise with you there)

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 26 2003,23:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Oct. 26 2003,23:00)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

Kev

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Kev

tounge.gif
Kev,

they are 7-8 yr old kids for f**ks sake, let them have some fun. learn about winning later in life. This is why this country is so screwed up (well one thing  on a endless list)

FM
I wouldnt know how it would feel as after playing football for 10 years i've rarely been a sub. I just find it annoying when the sh*tters come on, you have to work double as hard (and your tiring) to cover them. If your a few goals up fine but the number of times my team have lost games in the last 1/4 is staggering.

I can accept being put on the bench (if im not good enough) but if your on there and you shouldnt be then what is the point (although at that level i can comprimise with you there)

Kev
Kev mate, i see what your saying but this is not sunday league or even school level.

This is 7-8 year olds for christ sake, its not about the football at this age, its about happyness.

10 + start teaching them competiveness not at 7 !

Afraid i have to agree with Kev here, it is so annoying when you think the game is won and the less talented players come on and it all goes wrong.

Selfish i know, and i understand the sh*tters want to play but sometimes it is very frustrating...

Awaiting a slating now...

Funnily enough 7 or 8 year olds don't suffer from egos, nor are they into scapegoating, so that problem never arises .....  
tounge.gif

Back