• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stourport Shrimper

Schoolboy
Or for that matter can any human being learn to control anger?

Well the simple answer is yes we can learn to control anger. But in general anger cannot be managed simply by someone trying harder next time to avoid getting angry (as some seem to think).

I have never heard of footballers attending Anger Management Courses but these do exist and they have a good success rate. (Moreover if one type of approach does not appear to work then a different approach can be tried because not all Anger Management approaches are the same)

So here begins a short reminder about the human 'fight-flight' response (and briefly how that response can be modulated)

Simply getting to know how the human brain 'works' can in itself help.

Firstly very strong emotional response to a "stimulus' or 'trigger' locks the brain's attention upon that thing perceived to be the cause of the response. When there is such high arousal, we talk about the brain 'downshifting' to the lower primitive part of the brain responsible for amongst other things 'flight and fight' (Under such conditions we can't be rationale because rationality resides in the upper part of the brain)

When someone cannot seem to control their anger they need to be aware that the emotional response happens BEFORE a conscious response. 'Feelings' are distinct brain 'states' that appear to originate in the Brain's Limbic System and it is here that patterns of information coming from the body's senses are co-ordinated. This system is continually on the lookout for physical danger and it responds to a 'danger' pattern prior to conscious thought.

In a part of the brain called the amygdala, incoming sensory patterns are sorted AUTOMATICALLY into low emotional and high emotional content. If the signals are of low emotional content, the signals divert to the upper (rationale and creative) part of the brain and we can show a considered or creative response. However signals that have the pattern previously associated with high emotional arousal are diverted to the lower fight/flight part of the brain. Such response allows the 'emotional' brain to respond instantly to threat by triggering the 'fight or flight' reflex, and happens before the conscious brain knows anything about it. Emotion is an essential part of the mammalian design. Unfortunately, while our underlying emotional mechanisms have not changed over millions of years, our environment has, out of all recognition. The basic emotions evolved to ensure our survival, so they had to have particularly powerful effects, ensuring rapid and perhaps drastic action in times of danger.

When we feel we are in danger, the body immediately changes its priorities. Activity in the sympathetic nervous system instantly increases, stimulating the release of adrenaline and noradrenaline, two hormones that raise the body's arousal. The heart rate increases and blood is diverted to the muscles. Then the endocrine system gets to work producing cortisol, a stress hormone that increases vigilance in the brain and counteracts the effects of insulin, making blood sugar levels rise. Blood fibrinogen rises in case of injury that would require a clotting response. Anything that is not vital to counteract an immediate threat is put on hold, such as rationale thinking, growth, tissue repair, digestion, reproductive processes and maintaining the full immune response.

So in summary because the fight/fight response kicks in before conscious awareness we have to LEARN how to modulate the 'triggers' and 'patterns' that excite our amygdala. Also we can learn strategies that as soon as we feel the emotional arousal happening we can put into action before our brain gets locked into a full fight/flight response. These are the sort of things that will be tackled on any good Anger Management Approach. Being able to be in control of our responses to Anger is part of Emotional Intelligence which unfortunately is not taught in schools.

So it is possible to learn to control how we respond to our emotional 'buttons' but not by the person simply trying harder

It strikes me that at the moment there is more than one player at our club that should be sent on an Anger Management Course.

The next issue is if this is the case should they pay for it themselves (as it is part of their professional personal development and will also enhance their career if successful) or should the club pay for it (it will enhance their future transfer fee)? Perhaps a 50/50 arrangement?

Oh, and would fasting increase the Anger response? I don't have the answer to this, but one of the hormones released by the body to maintain blood sugar level is adrenaline so potentially this could add fuel to the fight/flight response

Oh, and would fasting increase the Anger response? I don't have the answer to this, but one of the hormones released by the body to maintain blood sugar level is adrenaline so potentially this could add fuel to the fight/flight response

Without wanting to nit-pick on this bit from the rest of your excellent post, show me a man who doesn't get grumpy when he's hungry and I'll show you a man who's never been hungry.

I think we really need to look at sending Bilel on an Anger Management course.

One such example I've come across is Carlos Zambrano, pitcher for my baesball team the Chicago Cubs, a good pitcher but his career became increasingly blighted by meltdowns, usually out of frustration when things weren't going his way. During the 2010 season he was sent to on an anger management course after getting in a fight with teammates and after that he got won 7 games in a row and had a superb end to the season.

Of course this weekend he had 5 home runs hit off him and quit baseball :whistling:

Is it possible that taking away a players anger can also affect their aggression? I completely agree that Moshni needs some kind of help as it seems he has no control but some players thrive off their anger and aggression. It makes them the player they are. Just a thought

Without wanting to nit-pick on this bit from the rest of your excellent post, show me a man who doesn't get grumpy when he's hungry and I'll show you a man who's never been hungry.
We have a number of hockey clubs who are majority muslim which I umpire in the East region. It's a well-known practice for the umpire appointment panel to appoint stronger umpires to their games during Ramadan precisely because things can kick off that bit more easily. And I can tell you they are right from personal experience.

It's not a discriminatory thing, it's a practical thing - hunger shortens the anger management fuse.

I agree that it's no more difficult for footballers to manage their anger than anyone else in theory. But footballers do a job which encourages (requires) aggression, enhanced physical development/hormones, in a culture which has in recent years fast developed into a blame culture. Chuck into the mix the additional specific challenges for Bil, namely Ramadan and the massive adjustment from the (relatively) niaive amateur scene to the cynical, sometimes racist, always physical professional scene in a foreign country at a club that's not the most settled of places in recent months , and it's small wonder he's got some issues.

Back