• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can I have some help please!?!

sufc_girl

Canadian Mountie and part time Strumpet
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if you could help me with something. I'm doing media studies at A-Level and for one of my exams I have to do a case study and so I chose Sport and the Media.

My question is "How Southend United is presented in local news compared to national news."

So, as part of my research to get me a really good mark, I was wondering if you could just post your opinions on this question and stuff.

Thank you very much, really appreciate it.

Rachel

It's the same cos for a start we don't get on the back of our national paper the same as we don't even make it on the back of my local paper.

What do we get in return for you getting your good mark ... !?

wink.gif

Lads. Lads. Lads. this younf girl would appreciate our help. Now I think we should all be gentlemen here and help her.

P.S.

How you doin?

wink.gif

Hey! Not fair! You said it won't take long!

biggrin.gif

In short - SUFC is reported on at a local level because in the pond that is the Southend District it is a pretty big fish.

Nationally we don't get a mention unless we do something which is either a magnificent achievement (play off winners, ldv finalists) or something of interest not restricted to the locality (big name signing, new stadium, sack/hire manager, etc).

Good luck and all that but is this really A-level stuff these days?

We get mentioned in the local press everytime we play. There will be a preview and a review of the game.

In the national press all we get is a mention in the fixture list and (if we're lucky) a two paragraph review of the match.

The national news takes the line that Freddy Eastwood must be mentioned in any piece, however small, about Southend United. It also takes the view that our manager is Andy Tillson, and other evidence of poor research abounds.

The local news is accurate and more prominent, but unfortunately the opinion of anybody that believes London E13 is in South East Essex has to be disregarded immediately on the grounds of pure stupidity.

In the Sunday News of the World on Sundays we are normally covered quite well in the match report. Although I believe this is due to the area of which the News of the World is delievered to. Apart from that there is very limited focus on us as we are a small club, and unless there is major news with the club i.e. injury, transfer we are rarely mentioned.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Sep. 21 2005,15:17)]The national news takes the line that Freddy Eastwood must be mentioned in any piece, however small, about Southend United. It also takes the view that our manager is Andy Tillson, and other evidence of poor research abounds.

The local news is accurate and more prominent, but unfortunately the opinion of anybody that believes London E13 is in South East Essex has to be disregarded immediately on the grounds of pure stupidity.
What? Are West Ham not in Essex then...?

I don't think the coverage in the national press is as bad as it was two years ago. The two LDV Finals has raised our profile and we have got a lot more coverage in the national press recently. Obviously though, this will only continue if we continue to be successful.

Good luck with the case study!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufc_girl @ Sep. 21 2005,16:00)]My question is "How Southend United is presented in local news compared to national news."
Nothing in my local news.

Nothing in my national news either. Just reams and reams of paper about Barcelona and Real Madrid. It's a bloody disgrace, I tell you ...

WS

smile.gif

Go outside the Southend area and we're not really covered at all. The Brentwood Gazette (despite having an edition that covers Billericay and Wickford) doesn't have anything on SUFC at all (despite covering Orient - heck they hardly cover Billericay Town and it's only three miles away!!!!).

We often have quite a big section in the news of the world in this area, but sections in other papers are restricted to a couple of paragraphs. However, the more successful we become, the more this will change, no doubt.

However the level of coverage we have received has increased over the years. Which I believe is down to being the most succesful club in the past two seasons (two cup finals and promotion!!) and appearing on TV more times than any other team in the Football league

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Sep. 21 2005,15:28)]In the Sunday News of the World on Sundays
I didnt realise that the Sunday News of the World comes out on Sundays

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish Fingers @ Sep. 21 2005,15:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Sep. 21 2005,15:28)]In the Sunday News of the World on Sundays

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
what day does the sunday sport come out on then???
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper magic @ Sep. 21 2005,16:02)]
[b said:
[b said:

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
O you lot are so funny! I am going to the Pub!

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper magic @ Sep. 21 2005,16:02)]
[b said:
[b said:

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
P.S. the same day as the Sunday Mail

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Sep. 21 2005,15:49)]If you buy the Castle Point version of the Echo, then Canvey take priority, and Blues only make the inside back pages.
Canvey is in Castle Point, we aren't.

Back