• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can Ronnie Whelan be banned from Roots Hall?!

Alex

Members
i went to the game and have just seen the tape of the match i recorded. the pre match, halftime and full time comments from whelan was terrible. he said that our chairman needs to pull his finger out and make funds available for tilson to get more players in. is this the same chairman that in just over a season has paid transfer fees (of which is uncommon for lower league clubs theese days) for bentley, dudfield, eastwood, guttridge and cole. he has given the go ahead for a 6 figure bid (170k for luke beckett). he bends himself backwards for the club but whelan (worse manager ever) slates ron martin. tilly will bring in more players but only ones theat want to play for the club and not pickup a big wage packett.

everyone, including redknapp and le tissier that the score flattered southampton and redknapp said we played well put oh no whelan has to disagree and basically say we were awful. let me see whos the most successfull manager, redknapp or whelan

Glad I didn't bother to record it then. Whelan's a plank - and a crap manager. Glad Harry and Le Tiss could see the scoreline was harsh - we deserved to lose but 3-0 was flattering to them.

I won't grumble about Martin's handling of the club at all as far as transfers are concerned. I'm confident that if Tilly wants someone, Martin will attempt to accomodate him.

Just got back home to find my Sky box has done it's usual trick of switching itself off - don't know whether that would have happened before, during or after the match, so having been concerned I might not have it on tape, it looks like I needn't be so worried! Still, I'd like to see Redknapp's and Le Tiss' comments on our performance.

I can understand why Sky always have Whelan on when we play, as he is our highest-profile ex-manager, but it is patently clear every single time he opens his mouth that he has made not the slightest effort to follow our fortunes ever since he left and just blabbers on with huge generalisations and inaccuracies. He doesn't even seem to do any research to prepare himself before coming on the TV! Hence the comments about the chairman, it must have been the first thing to come into his head - we didn't win, therefore our players can't be good enough, therefore we must buy some better ones. I think he's also quite bitter about his time here, including the fact that he wasn't able simply to buy his way out of trouble.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 23 2005,00:58)]Just got back home to find my Sky box has done it's usual trick of switching itself off - don't know whether that would have happened before, during or after the match, so having been concerned I might not have it on tape, it looks like I needn't be so worried! Still, I'd like to see Redknapp's and Le Tiss' comments on our performance.

I can understand why Sky always have Whelan on when we play, as he is our highest-profile ex-manager, but it is patently clear every single time he opens his mouth that he has made not the slightest effort to follow our fortunes ever since he left and just blabbers on with huge generalisations and inaccuracies. He doesn't even seem to do any research to prepare himself before coming on the TV! Hence the comments about the chairman, it must have been the first thing to come into his head - we didn't win, therefore our players can't be good enough, therefore we must buy some better ones. I think he's also quite bitter about his time here, including the fact that he wasn't able simply to buy his way out of trouble.
I knew from the off that Whelan would have a dig at us some how but apart from the bit about the chairman ( although he was just trying to say that we need at least 3 new players to strengthen the side)
I think he talked some sense saying that although we had some decent possesion and played some good stuff, we never really played at any pace going forward and didn't do much in the final third.

Le tiss was mainly talking about Saints which is fair enough, and Harry said that he was pleased with the performance and the youngsters that played and that maybe 3-0 was a tad harsh on us.
Tilly was a little disapointed in with the time and the manner of the first two goals saying that we switched off and we must keep our concentration.

He was also asked about where he's aiming to finish this season and he basiclly said that staying up is number one priority and anything after that is a bonus.

P.s What the F&ck is Whelan doing with his mullet like barnet................SHOCKING!!!!!!

Luckily Vic and Ron are 2 different people. Maybe if Ron was chairman when Mr Whelan was manager, we'd never have got in to such a sorry mess. I happen to think Whelan DID buy his way out of trouble. Only it didn't work as he got found out as a crap manager.
However good Mike Marsh was (and he was great on his day) we must remember that he cost £500,000 and then we nearly went under because of an inland revenue bill of £400,000 not long after. And God knows what wages Vic signed off under Whelan.
Byrne, McNally, Belsvik, Boere...
Whelan is a tool. End of story.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (keefmoon @ Aug. 23 2005,09:39)]Whelan is a tool. End of story.
Sorry, but I really have to disagree.

Tools are useful.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 23 2005,00:58)]Just got back home to find my Sky box has done it's usual trick of switching itself off - don't know whether that would have happened before, during or after the match, so having been concerned I might not have it on tape, it looks like I needn't be so worried! Still, I'd like to see Redknapp's and Le Tiss' comments on our performance.

Whelan highest profile ex manager - I think not.

What about Peter Taylor & David Webb and dare I say it Fry.
What has Whelan ever done as a manager?

When Southend are on Sky they either roll out Fry or Whelan.

I remember a game against Huddersfield, our last in Division 1 under Whelan, where a team of kids stuffed us out of sight, and for the first time in my life i was embarrasssed watching a Southend team who did not try through the whole.

Ronnie Whelan Manager - Bolleaux

My television is lucky not to have my shoe embedded in the screen after seeing Ronnie Whelan talk about us. He may have had a point about us not being incisive enough but he did not have one good word to say about us all night. Whelan just came across as bitter and I'm sick of him always being used as pundit when we're on sky. I'd rather have Barry Fry - least he is positive about us when he is acting as a pundit. Le Tissier was very fair about the game and saw some positive in our performance and he is usually really biased. Harry was a legend after the game. Although I thought they deserved their win on the night, he went on about how lucky they were and how we passed the ball much better than them and they need to learn from that. Much respect to Mr Redknapp for being so gracious in victory.

I have to echo every comment on here so far.
Whelan is a prize stroker. He's been bad when he's covered our games before but last night took the absolute biscuit.
Surely there must be somebody that Sky can utilise who's not going to take a negative stance whenever we're on. Chris Powell perhaps?
Perhaps if we all undertook a concerted campaign to email Sky Sports & say "Please, no Whelan (or Fry) for the Forest game."

I can think of about 10 Southend related people who are more media friendly than Whelan.

Can someone get the address for the editor and we can start a campaign.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Aug. 23 2005,09:57)]I can think of about 10 Southend related people who are more media friendly than Whelan.

Can someone get the address for the editor and we can start a campaign.

DtS
This is about the best I can find.

Sky Sports Feedback Form

Who knows, if enough of us complain, they might do something about it?

To be fair to Whelan, he was saying the same as most of us have been for weeks and months. That we'll be relegated with the squad that we have and that the club need to help Tilly out by alowing him to get in a couple more players.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Aug. 23 2005,11:14)]To be fair to Whelan, he was saying the same as most of us have been for weeks and months. That we'll be relegated with the squad that we have and that the club need to help Tilly out by alowing him to get in a couple more players.
Have we? I'd agree if you said that most of us feel that we need a bigger squad and that we could find it hard going if we don't... unless we're lucky with injuries and suspensions etc... but not that we will get relegated.

I don't think it's just down to the 'club' to help Tilson. We have restrictions imposed on us from outside the 'club' and Tilly is trying to work around them.

Did Uncle Ron not sanction a hefty (by our standards) bid for Beckett?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Aug. 23 2005,10:14)]To be fair to Whelan, he was saying the same as most of us have been for weeks and months. That we'll be relegated with the squad that we have and that the club need to help Tilly out by alowing him to get in a couple more players.
As has been mentioned elsewhere Whelan was shocking in his lack of preparation for last night and face it knows nothing about what's been going on at the Hall for years.

We as supporters know we need a bigger squad & more importantly so do Tilly & Brush as well as Ron Martin. Having said that, they are all IMHO trying to get in bodies who will fit the successful work-ethic of the team over the past 18 months & not come in & cause waves of unrest.

Any news on the Stev Angus issue? I see the reserve game today has been called off because of last night so presumably him & Darren Campbell are still training with the 1st team?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 23 2005,10:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Aug. 23 2005,11:14)]To be fair to Whelan, he was saying the same as most of us have been for weeks and months. That we'll be relegated with the squad that we have and that the club need to help Tilly out by alowing him to get in a couple more players.
Have we? I'd agree if you said that most of us feel that we need a bigger squad and that we could find it hard going if we don't... unless we're lucky with injuries and suspensions etc... but not that we will get relegated.

I don't think it's just down to the 'club' to help Tilson. We have restrictions imposed on us from outside the 'club' and Tilly is trying to work around them.

Did Uncle Ron not sanction a hefty (by our standards) bid for Beckett?

rock.gif
I'm not having a go at Ron Martin or at the club. I'm just saying that we need to bring bodies in or we will struggle. We've already seen that out first 15 or 16 players can compete with anyone in this league, but over 46 games thats not going to be enough.

Tilly has said that its not about just signing players, its about signing the right players. But why would the right players come to Southend anyway, if they aren't gonig to be in the team? We know how much (or rather how little) squad players at Southend earn, maybe if we relaxed the purse strings slightly there we might find it a bit easier to bring one or two people in.

No one wants to see us go back down the road that Whelan & Jobson went down in the 90s. But none of us want to get relegated either. And if we can avoid that be bringing in a couple of guys at £500 a week instead of £250 a week then I think thats good business if it means we stay up at the end of the season.

We lost Dudfield & Nicolau in the summer for this exact reason. Now I'm not saying that either of them were the second-coming, but they're the sort of squad players that a club our size needs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Aug. 23 2005,10:14)]To be fair to Whelan, he was saying the same as most of us have been for weeks and months. That we'll be relegated with the squad that we have and that the club need to help Tilly out by alowing him to get in a couple more players.
Our squad is still too small, but buying in players in a panic is not the answer. If Tilly/Brush can't find the sort of players we need to add to the squad, then I have no doubt that they will bring in eager players on loan, as they did last season to great effect. I would rather have another McCormack for a couple of months than a clapped out old donkey brought in permanently just because he is available.

[b said:
To be fair, from the second the bloke started talking he did not want to say a good word about the club and did not want us to be successful. Sky usually find two pundits, one that represents either side and has a good knowledge of the club. Le Tissier provided this for the Saints, Whelan did not for us.

Sent the following to Sky Sports Editor:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I enjoyed your coverage of the Southend/Southamptom match last night, though not the result!

However I must protest at your constant use of Ronnie Whelan as the "Southend linked" pundit. As a manager at Southend he was a total disaster, and is still heartily disliked by almost all who remember his reign, and the slide from Division Two to Division Four (in old money!) that he precipitated.

Last night he once again came across as bitter and dismissive of Southend. His comment that the chairman should let Tilson buy in more players was frankly ignorant. Ron Martin has paid our for several players in the last couple of years, and made funds available for a 6-figure bid for Luke Becket this season. Anyone who has kept up with affairs at Southend would know that, but clearly Mr. Whelan has once again not bothered to do his homework.

Matt LeTisier and Harry Redknap were kinder to, and more balanced in their comments about, Southend that Mr. Whelan. For future games, could you not ask Peter Taylor or Dave Webb to be the "pundit"? Both of them are well respected managers and would prove more interesting and informed than Mr. Whelan.

Yours Sincerely

Tom Lister

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OlvisIII @ Aug. 23 2005,10:45)]Sky usually find two pundits, one that represents either side and has a good knowledge of the club.  Le Tissier provided this for the Saints, Whelan did not for us.
So get complaining!
wink.gif

Back