• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Well, as we near the end of another season, it is yet again time for reflection on what has been, what might have been, looking forward to what will be and - for a large majority of people - putting on their hindsight googles and viewing how it should have been.

In my view we have had yet another memorable season under the T&B regime. There have been highs - the great run of results since Dervites arrival, the games against Chelsea, still being in with an outside and very unlikely sniffof the play offs... and there have been lows as well, such as the awful form of November, December and early January, plus the sad evening against Orient in the JPT with the team (and in particular Mildenhall) being booed. That night I was thoroughly ashamed to be a Southend fan.

Now, there are those who will view any SUFC event through tinted specs and the club can do absolutely no wrong whatsoever; similarly there are those who seem to be gunning for the club and/or it's personnel (playing or otherwise) at every opportunity. I was considering this when it actually struck me that the club actually is in a total no win position.

We have probably one of the most pro-active football club chairmen that exists. Whether you actually agree with his motives or actions doesn't matter; The simple facts are that under his reign we are mainly profitable (the reasons why are irrelevant), we have received planning permission for the new stadium, the building of which is now underway and he has attempted to keep the fans informed by a weekly blog which I have personally found very interesting reading indeed.

Having worked at the club in 1991 I can advise that there are things that go on behind the scenes that supporters have absolutely no knowledge of whatsoever. It is a mammoth operation and simply impossible to keep all people happy.

It doesn't matter what event transpires, someone is up there on hand to moan about it. Let's look at a few things, for instance.

The Man Utd game.

Southend had less than 2 weeks to deal with the biggest home game in the clubs history. How do you satisfy demand for that? They decided to adopt a "come to the club and queue" policy.

FOUL! This upset all that couldn't get to the club and sparked arguments as to who was the "better" and more worthy supporter - someone who lived in Westcliff and attended every game or someone who lived further away and travelled huge distances to watch what games they could. What about the people who couldn't come to the club during the day?

No problem, as for big games like this demand could be more easily satisfied when we get our bigger stadium.

FOUL! Why do we need a bigger stadium? We can't regularly fill this one! It will look crap with empty seats! (No-one seemed to moan about the old Roots Hall with a 31000 plus capacity and that has 2000 or less rattling around in it during the 1980's...)

Then there's those who say "We should invest the money in the team - break the bank to get better players in - we need to get in the CCC to compete!"

FOUL! Do the words Leeds, Luton, Rotherham, Bournemouth and Southampton mean anything? As a club RM is making sure we live within our means and hopefully don't fall into the same trap as those other clubs. We need bigger crowds and we are only going to get that with a bigger stadium. Chicken... egg... be patient - Rome wasn't built in a day.

And now the Leicester debacle. Geoff King spoke out, was wrong and has apologised. But it's still not enough. People want blood, they want the downfall, they want to say "I told you so..."

Or do they?

I despair sometimes. Our fans are no worse than any other clubs as footie fans everywhere are notoriously fickle. But we do seem to have a cancerous element that seem intent on bringing the club down from within by any means they can.

So, to those who want the end to the current regime in some way, shape or form, then dig deep as you will need a lot of money to take it over yourselves.

And if you want an example of how successful a club can be when it is run by a fan, then, Ladies and Gentleman, I give you... Newcastle United. The current laughing stock of football and like watching a train crash.

My advice to those who care is to be thankful that we have who we have. If you don't like it, take active steps to buy them out.

As for me, I'll stick to SUPPORTING my team as long as it stays in existence.

BLUE ARMY!

I rarely agree with your ratings but agree with every word of this. One of the best posts ever. Well said.

Well, as we near the end of another season, it is yet again time for reflection on what has been, what might have been, looking forward to what will be and - for a large majority of people - putting on their hindsight googles and viewing how it should have been.

In my view we have had yet another memorable season under the T&B regime. There have been highs - the great run of results since Dervites arrival, the games against Chelsea, still being in with an outside and very unlikely sniffof the play offs... and there have been lows as well, such as the awful form of November, December and early January, plus the sad evening against Orient in the JPT with the team (and in particular Mildenhall) being booed. That night I was thoroughly ashamed to be a Southend fan.

Now, there are those who will view any SUFC event through tinted specs and the club can do absolutely no wrong whatsoever; similarly there are those who seem to be gunning for the club and/or it's personnel (playing or otherwise) at every opportunity. I was considering this when it actually struck me that the club actually is in a total no win position.

We have probably one of the most pro-active football club chairmen that exists. Whether you actually agree with his motives or actions doesn't matter; The simple facts are that under his reign we are mainly profitable (the reasons why are irrelevant), we have received planning permission for the new stadium, the building of which is now underway and he has attempted to keep the fans informed by a weekly blog which I have personally found very interesting reading indeed.

Having worked at the club in 1991 I can advise that there are things that go on behind the scenes that supporters have absolutely no knowledge of whatsoever. It is a mammoth operation and simply impossible to keep all people happy.

It doesn't matter what event transpires, someone is up there on hand to moan about it. Let's look at a few things, for instance.

The Man Utd game.

Southend had less than 2 weeks to deal with the biggest home game in the clubs history. How do you satisfy demand for that? They decided to adopt a "come to the club and queue" policy.

FOUL! This upset all that couldn't get to the club and sparked arguments as to who was the "better" and more worthy supporter - someone who lived in Westcliff and attended every game or someone who lived further away and travelled huge distances to watch what games they could. What about the people who couldn't come to the club during the day?

No problem, as for big games like this demand could be more easily satisfied when we get our bigger stadium.

FOUL! Why do we need a bigger stadium? We can't regularly fill this one! It will look crap with empty seats! (No-one seemed to moan about the old Roots Hall with a 31000 plus capacity and that has 2000 or less rattling around in it during the 1980's...)

Then there's those who say "We should invest the money in the team - break the bank to get better players in - we need to get in the CCC to compete!"

FOUL! Do the words Leeds, Luton, Rotherham, Bournemouth and Southampton mean anything? As a club RM is making sure we live within our means and hopefully don't fall into the same trap as those other clubs. We need bigger crowds and we are only going to get that with a bigger stadium. Chicken... egg... be patient - Rome wasn't built in a day.

And now the Leicester debacle. Geoff King spoke out, was wrong and has apologised. But it's still not enough. People want blood, they want the downfall, they want to say "I told you so..."

Or do they?

I despair sometimes. Our fans are no worse than any other clubs as footie fans everywhere are notoriously fickle. But we do seem to have a cancerous element that seem intent on bringing the club down from within by any means they can.

So, to those who want the end to the current regime in some way, shape or form, then dig deep as you will need a lot of money to take it over yourselves.

And if you want an example of how successful a club can be when it is run by a fan, then, Ladies and Gentleman, I give you... Newcastle United. The current laughing stock of football and like watching a train crash.

My advice to those who care is to be thankful that we have who we have. If you don't like it, take active steps to buy them out.

BLUE ARMY!

Thanks for bringing it ALL up AGAIN thought we had moved on!!! lol!

Seriously though I would never wish to do harm to the club but I guess my big head gets in the ****ing way!

The Man Utd game.

Or do they?

BLUE ARMY!

We'll said that man. FBM for Prime Minister :clap:

I've been following Southend for close on 40 years and I would say I am enjoying it now more than at any time. I think there is a more positive feel and a stability about many aspects of the club than at any other time during that period. In terms of league positions the early 90s were better but it always felt to me as though it was a balloon about to burst at any moment as it eventually did.
There does seem to be more 'moaners' than ever amongst the fans and I think there are several reasons for this:
Firstly, its the old story of the club being a victim of their own recent success.
Secondly, the culture of football (and society) has changed and there is much more of a demand for instant success.
Thirdly, the internet now gives a platform for anyone with a grudge or a chip on their shoulder or a generally negative outlook to sound off to other fans in a way they couldn't in the past.
I think it was Dad of Dave the Shrimper who made an excellent point a few weeks back about enjoying our good run without getting too hung up about whether we eventually made the play-offs or not. For me that was very good advice for supporters of a club like Southend - if you get angry about lack of success then you're going to spend a lot of your time feeling hacked off.

First and foremost the Clubs needs to be especially prudent financially.If you are out of business there is no team for anyone to support.

People cry out for us to spend money on players but Ron isnt minted so that cant happen. Tilly has done remarkably well considering resources, if he gets the right loan players the team can do well next season.

I think the Club are basically treading water at the moment, which is exactly the same as thousands of other business'. Cant complain given the fan base and resources we have really.

The 'King Says Sorry' thread has now reached 125 posts, most of them are baying for his blood. Yes the guy is a bit of an arse however since the original misguided statement about the trouble caused by Southend fans both Ron Martin and Geoff King have both publicly apologised for it. It was a mistake, they know it, they said sorry, what else are they supposed to do?

For those of you who don't remember Vic Jobson's era as chairman, here's some reminders as to what he did.

1. A group of middle-aged Southend fans were banned from Roots Hall for life for critising Jobson. He labelled them hooligans for daring to critise his tenure as Southend's chairman - at the time the image of a football hooligan was a young, shaven-head lout with violence in mind. The story made the national press. They had a field day with it.

2. Howard Southwood who worked for the Echo was also banned for criticising Jobson. Southwood was a true-blue and a terrific reporter, read the 'Southend United Chronicles', his reports were articulate, passionate and factually correct. I believe he was one of the people labelled a hooligan as per the point above. At the time the Echo was the main source of Southend United related information, when he was banned nobody had a clue what was happening at the club. The Echo now habitually sensationise stories about the club, but they've never been banned from the club for it.

3. Vic Jobson once famously said 'If you don't want to support this club there's 91 other clubs you can support'. It was quite possibly the worst bit of PR a chairman has ever done. It alienated a huge number of supporters who stopped going to Southend matches, the attendance figures prove it.

I'm sure many of you who either weren't old enough to remember or who have started supported the club after Jobson left are sick and tired of hearing this stuff, but from what I can see the current stewardship are looking after the long-term interests of the club and at least trying to engage the fans. I'm too cynical to to take the rose-tinted glasses view of Martin and co. but fbm is right, there does seem to be an element of our support who will never be satifsied no matter what, so to these people I ask, what exactly do you want?

I agree with what fbm and others on this thread have said. Good post.

But I also believe we should question strongly the current chairman's motives without necessarily doubting them or baying for his blood.

My take on things: Ron Martin saved the club. He has kept a tight hand on finances (a good thing). He initially appointed Tilly & Brush by accident, but he has backed them when they have had poor runs. I hope he continues to do so and have faith and doesn't bow to loud minority pressure of wanting immediate success and sack T&B in the next bad run in order to be popular and appease what he perceives as what the fans want. T&B have proved they're the right people for our club. Most rational fans with long memories see that. The last 5 years with T&B's teams have been excellent (except with a few blips that any team will get). T&B have worked miracles with tight budgets and delivered success and exciting football. T&B care for Southend - something we wouldn't get with other management teams. We should enjoy what we have now. Despite this, there has been some appalling treatment of some of our players, such as Harrold, Mildenhall, Hunt, Gower, etc by some of our so-called fans. Each year we have had a club to support has been a bonus given the financial state the club was in and what's happened to some other clubs.

However, I believe we should question Ron Martin's motives and keep the pressure on for the good of the long-term future of the club. I'd hate us to turn into a Brighton, Darlington or some other similar club. Ron Martin is a property man, and my understanding was that he wasn't a football man when he came in (but he may have become one since if he has "fallen in love" with the Blues). His property company may well benefit from the new stadium complex. I'd be quite happy for his property company to make a fortune out of it if that's what transpires. I have no doubt that that's why he came in for the club in the first place - to make money for his property business eventually. I just hope those motives coincide with Southend United's best interests. I have no reason to believe that the property company would want Southend United to fail, but I have still not yet seen any case put forward by Ron, other than sweeping statements that make no sense to me (such as the club will benefit from non-footballing revenue and can sustain a Championship side), as to the financial model for Southend United going forward at the new stadium. When Ron has his new stadium and also after he has eventually sold up, does Southend United have a sustainable future? These questions have not been answered and I believe we should continue to put pressure on finding answers before we move and before it's too late. I don't want us to look back in a few years and say "Why didn't we try to do something to secure the long-term financial stability of the club?"

There's a difference between holding the board to account and baying for blood. (Incidentally, I didn't vote "King out" on the poll because I believe getting Ron and Mr King out would not be in the club's best interests. However, Mr King's statement was appalling and a throw-back to the PR of the previous regime. And his apology was not much of one either. But it is time to put this behind us and Ron and Mr King to learn from it.)

Last edited:
My problem with this whole is issue is that the uproar has been against Geoff King for making a stupid, irresponsible, ill-informed comment and not at the handful of thugs in the West who couldn't cope with the idea that there were four people near them who happened to support a different football club. King shouldn't have said what he did, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was our fans who were throwing punches.

The Leicester fans shouldn't have been there, obviously. And once identified by the Stewards they should have been removed. But plenty of our fans have gone into home ends plenty of times in the past and this idea that they were sitting in our end so they're fair game seems 20 years out of date.

My problem with this whole is issue is that the uproar has been against Geoff King for making a stupid, irresponsible, ill-informed comment and not at the handful of thugs in the West who couldn't cope with the idea that there were four people near them who happened to support a different football club. King shouldn't have said what he did, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was our fans who were throwing punches.

The Leicester fans shouldn't have been there, obviously. And once identified by the Stewards they should have been removed. But plenty of our fans have gone into home ends plenty of times in the past and this idea that they were sitting in our end so they're fair game seems 20 years out of date.

Oh so they never threw any punches?

AH! I get it. The Leicester fans, entirely unprovoked and without warning, launched a dastardly attack on the innocent Southend fans when they least expected it? Cobblers Scott. Of course they threw punches if they were being attacked.

I'm with Beefy on this one. Regardless of Geoff King's ill-advised statement, and regardless of the the fact that they shouldn't have been allowed to stay in the West as long as they were, it is completely disgusting that so-called "Fans" of our club chose to vent their frustration by assaulting opposition fans, and in a family area too. I hope the police actually did do something useful - I hope they caught those carrying out the attack on their twee little cameras, and I hope those responsible get life bans.

I don't know mate, I was in the South Upper. I've asked that question several times on here this week and had no answer so I'm presuming they didn't. Obviously if they started it then that's a whole different issue.

"FOUL! Why do we need a bigger stadium? We can't regularly fill this one! It will look crap with empty seats! (No-one seemed to moan about the old Roots Hall with a 31000 plus capacity and that has 2000 or less rattling around in it during the 1980's...)"

I disagree with the above in that Roots Hall was already built in the 80's. What were the club to do? Knock half of it down? (OK I know the flats appeared soom after!) Crowds in the late 60's were regularly 10,000+ of which I was one. We're not averaging that yet but we're not far off. Maybe 22,000 is too big; I think 16,000 designed with the possibility of adding to it if needed (rather than rebuilding).

"FOUL! Why do we need a bigger stadium? We can't regularly fill this one! It will look crap with empty seats! (No-one seemed to moan about the old Roots Hall with a 31000 plus capacity and that has 2000 or less rattling around in it during the 1980's...)"

I disagree with the above in that Roots Hall was already built in the 80's. What were the club to do? Knock half of it down? (OK I know the flats appeared soom after!) Crowds in the late 60's were regularly 10,000+ of which I was one. We're not averaging that yet but we're not far off. Maybe 22,000 is too big; I think 16,000 designed with the possibility of adding to it if needed (rather than rebuilding).

The point here is that the club have to show some sort of ambition. The economies of scale will mean that a 22000 stadium will be much cheaper to build than a 16000 and then adding to it.

If we get back into the CCC we need to compete.

At some point in our future we may well have dark days again... we may again just a few thousand people attend matches... but when RH was built in the 1950's I don't suppose anyone said it was too big.

The alternative is the rather defeatist and unambitious stances taken by Col U, Northampton, Orient and some other clubs who have built stadiums that CANNOT house more than 10,000, which effectively states that they are never going anywhere.

I maybe have not made my point.

I think 16,000 is enough for now. Nobody can predict the future, we all know that. But I'd rather see 10,000 full than 22,000 not. Did you watch Match Of The Day yesterday? Empty seats galore!
I hate that.

The Man Utd game.

Or do they?

BLUE ARMY!

why dont you have a nice cup of tea

The Man Utd game.

Greeny (Damn done it again!) :p Sorry. fbm, you know I don't agree with much of what you say & this matter is so old, but I'll give you my view on this one for what it's worth.

The issue many had about the Manure game wasn't who's the greatest fan, but we'll all obviously bow to you on that, but that your mate the lovely Mr King had, to my mind, his most abusive moments to many true SUFC fans.

The original ticketing arrangements issued by GK stated that each supporter had to attend the ground with their own ticket. Now like hundreds of people I've met over the last 40 years I don't live in Southend &/or don't work in Southend so yes I like them would have been at a disadvantage & I don't go to every game home or away (tut tut). My better half doesn't live in Southend, doesn't work in Southend so yes she'd have been at a disadvantage as well & doesn't go to every game home or away (horror) so to you we'd both have been fair game for GK, especially given the fact that we were away on holiday for the entire ticket allocation period.

Utterly unacceptable behaviour I realise but, my question is how did he come up with such a half baked idea in the 1st place? What tiny little brain cell thought "that's a cunning plan!"? He obviously didn't discuss it with anyone & used his pea sized football knowledge to work it out. Ron, who I have a lot of time for, then had to do a major damage limitation back-tracking exercise (not for the 1st or last time) an announce that it would be come & queue with 5 tickets & that I had no problem with. But why did it need Ron to bale him out????

My take on this was that GK couldn't give a **** who came to the Manure game. He knew it would sell out & if several hundred Shrimpers seaso's couldn't get there for a naff reason like work (not everyone has flexible patterns) etc etc, then the true Manure fans from Surrey would do nicely. The simple fact that he didn't care whether either you or I could get a ticket in a reasonable way for the biggest game in many years was a complete insult & shows the true nature of the man.

For many years I drank with some friends at the club on a Friday night & we were often joined by John Adams & even Vic occasionally, so you're not the only one with "insight" into the club. I'd hate to repeat most of the cr@p I heard but there were some gems aside.

We're not all idiots who think running any business is easy, give the majority some credit.

Last edited:
Back