• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Can we create our away atmosphere at home?

Can we create a home atmosphere v Chelsea as good as our away atmosphere?

• Of course we can, like Ron says we're the best fans in the country

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • No, we're too spread out at Roots Hall to create an 'away' atmosphere

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters

bishmania

First XI
When Chelsea come to town next week we are going to want to make it as uncomfortable for them as possible.

They're going to hate the tiny dressing rooms, the cramped tunnel, everything, but we need to make them wish they were back in there when they come out and face a Roots Hall cauldron.

However, as amazing as our away support has always been, questions have been asked on here and other messageboards (yes, there are some others - but this is by far the best!) about our home support.

I wasn't at the Manure game so don't know what the atmosphere was like that night, but I was away at Donny and Saints and despite the scores they remain two of the best football experiences of my life.

Can we transfer that support back to the Hall? I think we can but we all need to make an extra effort to get evryone around us singing, clapping and chanting their hearts out.

UTB!

Of course we can.

It's been a cauldron on a few occasions over the last few seasons. Man Ure, Norwich, QPR, Leeds to name a few.

Our fans just need to be "up for it" which they will be for this one.

When they are, the noise is awesome.

Let's be as "up for it" for Crewe as well please.

Good point Smiffy, hopefully fans' Chelsea adrenalin will carry on over for the Crewe game as that is far more pivotal to our season.

Can I also add mate what a sterling job you and the rest of TBV have done since springing into action at the beginning of last season (I think)

Good point Smiffy, hopefully fans' Chelsea adrenalin will carry on over for the Crewe game as that is far more pivotal to our season.

Can I also add mate what a sterling job you and the rest of TBV have done since springing into action at the beginning of last season (I think)

Thanks mate. Been going about a year now. But most of that has been spent laying the foundations, building relationships with the club and fans etc. The real noticable stuff comes when the new ground is ready. We will do our best at RH, but as we all know its bloody hard work trying to improve the noise here. Its a long term plan, with the aim to make the new stadium the best it can be atmosphere wise. Whilst in the interim spreading the word of TBV, what were about and trying to raise the colour and decibel level a touch at RH.
As i said above, it is possible at RH, the fans just need to be up for it a bit more. So lets start on Saturday and really be the 12th man and help the boys back into the play off frame. We can make a difference as confirmed by the players at the weekend. We helped them pull the result off, make no mistake. Lets repeat it on Saturday, Wednesday and for every other game. Who knows, we may taste more success because of it...

we need air horns

When Chelsea come to town next week we are going to want to make it as uncomfortable for them as possible.

They're going to hate the tiny dressing rooms, the cramped tunnel, everything, but we need to make them wish they were back in there when they come out and face a Roots Hall cauldron.

However, as amazing as our away support has always been, questions have been asked on here and other messageboards (yes, there are some others - but this is by far the best!) about our home support.

I wasn't at the Manure game so don't know what the atmosphere was like that night, but I was away at Donny and Saints and despite the scores they remain two of the best football experiences of my life.

Can we transfer that support back to the Hall? I think we can but we all need to make an extra effort to get evryone around us singing, clapping and chanting their hearts out.

UTB!

they should let us take air horns into the ground again

i think the atmosphere always needs a bit of a spark from the pitch to get it going. obviously the problem is that the players often need the fans to get going for that spark to occur. There have been times when RH has been absolutely rocking... but there have also been massive games when the atmosphere was very subdued.

i think the atmosphere always needs a bit of a spark from the pitch to get it going. obviously the problem is that the players often need the fans to get going for that spark to occur. There have been times when RH has been absolutely rocking... but there have also been massive games when the atmosphere was very subdued.

Spot on ...I think we all love an away game and the bigger the opposition/event the better...Chelsea away was not just about the game it was also about 6000 fans meeting up in London for a day out as was Doncaster last year Southampton the year before..RH is a very hard place to create that sort of atmosphere in an old ground where the away fans get the best of what little acoustics we can offer. We have a huge fan base now with so many younger people joining the ranks of SUFC supporters and not just the glory hunters I have seen in the past...We will never capture our away support at home when is is not so "Special" just a run of the mill home game..We have not had the best of the league season so far..but days like last Saturday are magical....We do need to get behind the boys in every league game though.

Magic is a two way street..we need to believe for them to perform.

we are no way the best fans in the country no one even stands up at away games i though at chelsea it would of been different and everyone would of stood up for the whole game but i was wrong i had to sit down because even the people on the back row sat down but hopefully the fans will be up for this home game

Smiffy & Co

This may have already been posted and I missed it , but anyway------- Just wanted to say that the flags and ballons on Saturday were EXCELLENT and IMO really helped to get the atmosphere going. I arrived too late to get a flag, but had one of the old ones from the Donny match anyway. I think everyone would agree that the photos/vids look so much better with the ballons and flags. And of course on Wednesday we have our other weapon--- the drums !!!!!!

Well done - I thought it was great , same again please for Wednesday-

Cheslea will be rocking, if not I will be very surprised!

As you said in the away version of this type of thread, if the fans arent up for a game like this then all hope is lost.

(oooooh "Smiffy and Co"......am I in the Co bit?)

Last edited:
we are no way the best fans in the country no one even stands up at away games i though at chelsea it would of been different and everyone would of stood up for the whole game but i was wrong i had to sit down because even the people on the back row sat down but hopefully the fans will be up for this home game

should have sat with us v chelsea fella, two rows of ten stood & sung for the whole game. i fail to see how just "standing" can make us any better fans. surely generating an atmosphere would be better than just standing ??

anyway, lets have another atmosphere like we created v norwich & qpr for chelsea, staring against crewe, saturday.

anyone fancy a "shirts off if you love southend" chant v crewe ??

should have sat with us v chelsea fella, two rows of ten stood & sung for the whole game. i fail to see how just "standing" can make us any better fans. surely generating an atmosphere would be better than just standing ??

anyway, lets have another atmosphere like we created v norwich & qpr for chelsea, staring against crewe, saturday.

anyone fancy a "shirts off if you love southend" chant v crewe ??

it does not make us better fans for not standing but standing up at games just looks better and the fans are more likely to sing if you look at the away end against some of the teams we have played over the years ipswich,leeds etc they will stand the whole game i think chelsea will all stand as well and will be very loud well dont no about that because i was expecting more from the chelsea fans at the bridge.

im going to ask for back row against orient hopefully people will stand for that game

Last edited:
Definitely we just need people to contribute. People say its much better at an away game than at home. Maybe because at home games you sit down and watch the game but away u sweat your b*llocks off jumping around and singing songs. Why cant we take every team as a cup final and make sure EVERYONE gives a sing song rather than just big games. Id love to see the whole ground singing the great escape song for half an hour! We notice ourselves being great fans, and the staff of other clubs agree, but their fans dont.

it does not make us better fans for not standing but standing up at games just looks better and the fans are more likely to sing if you look at the away end against some of the teams we have played over the years ipswich,leeds etc they will stand the whole game i think chelsea will all stand as well and will be very loud well dont no about that because i was expecting more from the chelsea fans at the bridge.

perhaps we should invest in some stilts too then !!

i think it would work better if all away fans could sit / stand where they wanted in the away stand. so you end up with kids, families, people who want a good view at the front. and those who want to create an atmosphere & enjoy the match towards the back & not in anyones way.
just like the terraces used to be.

(oooooh "Smiffy and Co"......am I in the Co bit?)

You and the terrible twosome are so much more than just a "Co" bit ...you have all done so much to help TBV and the club with our promotions this and last year..you deserve as much credit if not more, as we get mate.

:clap::clap:

i feel that it is possible, but i don't think it will happen, i've heard of these seemingly 'one-off' matches where we have an incredible home support, but I can't say that i've witnessed it for myself.

we know we have the ability to with recent showings at chelsea and doncaster, but doing it at home may be a different factor

all that said, i'm hopeful that the occasion on wednesday (especially under the floodlights) can create a memorable night

perhaps we should invest in some stilts too then !!

i think it would work better if all away fans could sit / stand where they wanted in the away stand. so you end up with kids, families, people who want a good view at the front. and those who want to create an atmosphere & enjoy the match towards the back & not in anyones way.
just like the terraces used to be.

yeah it would be better if fans could sit or stand if they wanted to thats why im looking forward to peterboro because everyone will have to stand
icon10.gif

Back