• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can we realistically survive in the championship

BriggBlue

Schoolboy
Following on from a transfer window that started with a winding up order over £40k and ended with another L1 club spending £4Milllion on a single player can we realistically expect southend to get promoted to L1 and, perhaps more importantly, if we were to somehow go up could we survive?

personally I can't see it happening without a rich new backer, something that we've struggled with for some time, even the new stadium won't make too much difference, we might have a few more bob to spend but unless we fill it week in week out I can't see it being anywhere near enough.

I wouldn’t worry about that for now. I’m more concerned about whether we would survive back in L2

When you look at who is in the Championship, and how much money goes to relegated clubs from the Prem, we would be in the same boat as last time - promoted in a blaze of glory only to crash out in spectacular fashion the following season! We just cannot compete, and a bottom half finish just avoiding relegation would be a "good" season. Do I want that - probably not!

Can you imagine the complaining about how much we lose, which is bad enough now where we have a decent, but mostly crocked squad? Championship level players don't come cheap, so as our budgets won't be much higher, but outgoings will be - would we survive, even with the new ground etc, I think the answer is no.

And... no I don't think we are going down to L2 either!

Any chance of long term survival in the Championship is many years away, but it can happen organically if we get the new stadium and boost our income considerably from all sources. Of course it could happen much quicker if some oligarch decided to move in - as with AFC Bournemouth for example.

It would end in disaster if we got promoted this season but it’s not entirely out of the question that with a couple of seasons of development in L1 (or even L2) we’d be able to survive in the Championship for several seasons and, if Fossets Farm goes well, maybe even establish ourselves.

We’ve had two experiences of the Championship. One long, one short. The difference between Webb and Tilly was that Tilly took us up with - Freddy aside - an experienced team in their prime that had limited room to grow. Webb’s Team though was young and still improving. Tilly tried to rebuild once in the Championship; Webb had already rebuilt in 4th division and his young team was still on the up.

The likes of Bishop, Bwomono, Yearwood, Lennon, Humphrys, Hutchinson and Kelman are all still developing. We don’t yet know how far they can go. If they can go as far as Royce, Austin, Butler, Prior, Angell, Ansah and (although it is a different position) Powell then mid table in the Championship could become realistic. It’s obviously unlikely and a long shot but unlike recent seasons, when the team was full of players on their way down, there is that chance when you have a young improving side.

Once up we’d need some luck and to hit it big in the transfer market like we did with Stan (who was purchased with the money from the sale of Austin). But if a youngster impressed at Championship level then they could earn a transfer fee of £15m which could be a game changer for a club like us. It would allow us to reinvest in a handful of better L1 players (the Stan money paid for Mooney, Lee and Otto - the first two went onto play top flight, the third we got eight times our money back).

That’s how a club like ours can progress. There are a lot of ifs along the way but with a young team there’s that chance, albeit remote, if all those things fall our way.

It would end in disaster if we got promoted this season but it’s not entirely out of the question that with a couple of seasons of development in L1 (or even L2) we’d be able to survive in the Championship for several seasons and, if Fossets Farm goes well, maybe even establish ourselves.

We’ve had two experiences of the Championship. One long, one short. The difference between Webb and Tilly was that Tilly took us up with - Freddy aside - an experienced team in their prime that had limited room to grow. Webb’s Team though was young and still improving. Tilly tried to rebuild once in the Championship; Webb had already rebuilt in 4th division and his young team was still on the up.

The likes of Bishop, Bwomono, Yearwood, Lennon, Humphrys, Hutchinson and Kelman are all still developing. We don’t yet know how far they can go. If they can go as far as Royce, Austin, Butler, Prior, Angell, Ansah and (although it is a different position) Powell then mid table in the Championship could become realistic. It’s obviously unlikely and a long shot but unlike recent seasons, when the team was full of players on their way down, there is that chance when you have a young improving side.

Once up we’d need some luck and to hit it big in the transfer market like we did with Stan (who was purchased with the money from the sale of Austin). But if a youngster impressed at Championship level then they could earn a transfer fee of £15m which could be a game changer for a club like us. It would allow us to reinvest in a handful of better L1 players (the Stan money paid for Mooney, Lee and Otto - the first two went onto play top flight, the third we got eight times our money back).

That’s how a club like ours can progress. There are a lot of ifs along the way but with a young team there’s that chance, albeit remote, if all those things fall our way.
Its not only transfer fees but wages that would be demanded by players playing in the champ. RM just aint got the cash.

Its not only transfer fees but wages that would be demanded by players playing in the champ. RM just aint got the cash.

That’s why you need to have already built the side. Have them already under contract.

can we realistically expect southend to get promoted to L1 and, perhaps more importantly, if we were to somehow go up could we survive?
Yes, we gained promotion to L1 in 2014–15 at Wembley by beating Wycombe Wanderers and are still in L1.

In case you missed it. :Smile:

**** me. Lets concentrate of staying up this season before we worry about the Championship shall we

I love the diversionary tactics of this...... well done, now back to reality and stop playing Champinship Manager or what ever its called now. W're in a mid table pit of quicksand and it could drag us down, so priority number one, survive in Division 3 until next season.

When you look at who is in the Championship, and how much money goes to relegated clubs from the Prem, we would be in the same boat as last time - promoted in a blaze of glory only to crash out in spectacular fashion the following season! We just cannot compete, and a bottom half finish just avoiding relegation would be a "good" season. Do I want that - probably not!

Can you imagine the complaining about how much we lose, which is bad enough now where we have a decent, but mostly crocked squad? Championship level players don't come cheap, so as our budgets won't be much higher, but outgoings will be - would we survive, even with the new ground etc, I think the answer is no.

And... no I don't think we are going down to L2 either!
Should be keeping our young players not letting the likes of Swindon takeing our young centre halve and we need a centre halve never understand this club

Should be keeping our young players not letting the likes of Swindon takeing our young centre halve and we need a centre halve never understand this club

How many times have you seen our "young centre halve (sic) "play ? Do you really think he was going to be the answer to our defensive shortcomings any time soon ?

Back