• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agreed I cannot see Bilel going across the County to you know where. But still no mention of a new deal for him considering he's out of contract in the summer. Having said that I believe the Club can exercise a year's option on him.

In actual fact I think we may just capture the signature of Timlin.

I suspect Ferdinand will sign a pre-contract elsewhere but be loaned back till May.

I suspect Hall will stay on but wouldn't bet on this 100%.depends on the size of the fee and any player exchange in addition. Fee wise we'll get slightly more now for him than next summer in my opinion.During the closed season his value will begin to slide with only a year left on his contract. But most part of me feels he'll stay.

The one I can see going out the door permanently in Jan is Grant I'm afraid.

Still no mention of Barker being offered new terms. he is out of contract for definite at the end of this season.

I suspect Ferdinand will sign a pre-contract elsewhere but be loaned back till May..

I often hear of this magic option of selling a player then getting them back on loan for 'free' for the rest of the season.

But I can't think of a player that we have ever sold & then had back on loan straight away, anyone remember one?

It does not seem to happen very often, as the players new club wants to see them training & play matches etc, even if it's only reserve matches.

Overweight with no form....no thanks

What striker on form do Southend have a realistic chance of signing in the transfer window then? Bet you can't name one.

It would be a lot easier to get Freddy fit than to put the ability in another player.

I often hear of this magic option of selling a player then getting them back on loan for 'free' for the rest of the season.

But I can't think of a player that we have ever sold & then had back on loan straight away, anyone remember one?

It does not seem to happen very often, as the players new club wants to see them training & play matches etc, even if it's only reserve matches.

Craig Dawson is the only one I can think of that was loaned back straight after leaving.

Do we need to strengthen? Absolutely yes.

We may be top now (and only just) but given the competition in the league, I don't see that lasting until May.:unsure:

And the main priority for the Board has to be promotion .......... they will do nothing (including selling players) that will jeopordise the chances of getting promotion. Of course, it's not as simple as that ....... selling a midfield player to finance a striker for instance could make very good sense given the right players and sums of money involved.

And a FA Cup game against Liverpool will change all the current calculations.

I too think the "sell and loan" back options do not make sense.

My highest priority is a striker.

Can't see Jesus leaving - and I see him more of a striker and wide man now than a defender (although he is very useful to come back for set pieces).
Can't see Hall leaving.
Barker will get an extended contract.

All of the above is my opinion - I haven't spoken to Ron or Tara about it ................... :winking:

Of course we need to strengthen.

Number one priority is a striker, preferably with pace, who knows where the net is. Someone like Jo Kuffour would be ideal in my eyes. Although of course we would face stiff competition from Gillingham and others for his services. Or perhaps another target man like Benson. Or a good mix of the two would be someone like Scott Rendell at Wycombe. Again, it would be tough to get players of that calibre in, mainly on the wages front. But those are players that would give us that edge, as we head into the 2nd half of the season IMO.

Other than a striker, I feel as well as trying to get Timlin, we need another creative wide man. Hall is now starting to be marked out of games and doubled up on a lot of the time. At the moment he is our main and perhaps only real creator. Take away that supply line that he provides, on top of his goals and we look very blunt indeed. Of course JJ was meant to be the other wide man, but his career at Southend looks to be over unfortunately. So who fits that bill?....perhaps someone like Jake Robinson, Ishmel Demontagnac, or a gamble on one of my favourite non-league players, Mike Gosney at AFC Totton. It all comes down to money at the end of the day...

Perhaps another centre half wouldn't go a miss either. Again perhaps blessed with a bit of pace. As we do look very slow at the back and we know how injury prone Phillips is.

They would be my preferences. But, we really need to win that Oldham tie and hope a few of the fringe players are wanted elsewhere, or we can agree a suitable "pay-off". Otherwise not a lot can really happen. Fingers crossed.

I suspect Ferdinand will sign a pre-contract elsewhere but be loaned back till May.

As far as I am aware (where are you Smiffy?) Ferdinand signed a 2 year deal towards the end of last season, therefore the earliest he can sign a pre contract anywhere is January 2013. On top of this as he has come through the ranks at Southend he will be subject to a fee albeit via a tribunal.

I'd say it's a bit early to start looking at new or extended contracts for players as we do not know which division we will be in next saeson.

Of course we need to strengthen.

Other than a striker, I feel as well as trying to get Timlin, we need another creative wide man.

Perhaps another centre half wouldn't go a miss either.

I see it just as you say. Spot on. :thumbsup: Are you listening Paul Sturrock! (And Tara/Ron ..........)

Im hopeing Harris comes good in the 2nd half of the season, but iv got my doubts. If not then another striker for me is a must, as well as getting Timlin on board. Whatever happens it now looks like bad business to have given an somewhat injury prone 35 year old forward a three year contract, especially as it looks like we will have to unload players to get anybody in .

Im hopeing Harris comes good in the 2nd half of the season, but iv got my doubts. If not then another striker for me is a must, as well as getting Timlin on board. Whatever happens it now looks like bad business to have given an somewhat injury prone 35 year old forward a three year contract, especially as it looks like we will have to unload players to get anybody in .

I was delighted to get harris but said at the time the deal could turn into another freedman, and unfortunately looks like thats the case.

I feel we just need to get Timlin signed and a striker to replace Corr whilst he is still injured. Finances allowing I would wish for either Paul Benson or the return of King Freddie but feel we may have to settle for someone lesser.

As far as I am aware (where are you Smiffy?) Ferdinand signed a 2 year deal towards the end of last season, therefore the earliest he can sign a pre contract anywhere is January 2013. On top of this as he has come through the ranks at Southend he will be subject to a fee albeit via a tribunal.

I'd say it's a bit early to start looking at new or extended contracts for players as we do not know which division we will be in next saeson.

Correct. Kane is contracted until June 2013.

I was delighted to get harris but said at the time the deal could turn into another freedman, and unfortunately looks like thats the case.

At the beginning of the season, I would have said that the front two would be Corr and Dickinson ........ with Harris coming on as a supersub ....... having Sturrock, Asante and Crawford as well meant a good mixture of age, experience and style. Sadly this has not come to pass due to Corr's injury etcetera.

Given the above, it is arguable that Harris has done a good job ........ and there have been plenty of chances that he has missed .... for whatever reason, this could easily change and suddenly the goals are coming thick and fast.

At the beginning of the season, I would have said that the front two would be Corr and Dickinson ........ with Harris coming on as a supersub ....... having Sturrock, Asante and Crawford as well meant a good mixture of age, experience and style. Sadly this has not come to pass due to Corr's injury etcetera.

Given the above, it is arguable that Harris has done a good job ........ and there have been plenty of chances that he has missed .... for whatever reason, this could easily change and suddenly the goals are coming thick and fast.
Amen to that, nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Harris come good.

I feel we just need to get Timlin signed and a striker to replace Corr whilst he is still injured. Finances allowing I would wish for either Paul Benson or the return of King Freddie but feel we may have to settle for someone lesser.
much as i loved every minute freddie was with us we're now 5-6 years on, there's quite a bit more of him than when he was last here according to reports. main worry would be has his experience at coventry killed his desire for football?? just a few thoughts

The need for a out and out striker is clear, but do we already have one in Ryan Hall? when ever he has played up top he has done well and scored (all be it v Dagenham and Barnet) plus this would take away a lot of creativity in the midfield.

Sawyer needs a run of 5 or so games to show us if he can do a job on the wing, this could save us from signing anyone, the same could be said for Johnson but he is probably on his way out as said by most on here.

The need for a out and out striker is clear, but do we already have one in Ryan Hall? when ever he has played up top he has done well and scored (all be it v Dagenham and Barnet) plus this would take away a lot of creativity in the midfield.

Sawyer needs a run of 5 or so games to show us if he can do a job on the wing, this could save us from signing anyone, the same could be said for Johnson but he is probably on his way out as said by most on here.

Good point about Hall - as I think he is similar to Andy Ansah in being able to play wide and upfront .......... but moving him to be a striker just leaves another hole in midfield and whilst we have many good players, we have little choice in the wing department - the solution might be JJ except he is currently suspended. :'( That justs leaves Jesus and possibly Leonard who adds a little something different at times.

Would love to see Sawyer find a place in the team but it is his surging runs down the middle of the pitch that I remember .... having said that Moussa managed to adapt .......

Back