• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can we sustain it?

Lots of threads mentioning the fact that we should keep our heads and be realistic, but can we honestly say we have the resources to beat the 'bigger' and 'better' teams in this league?
rock.gif

Resources, yes. Quality? Questionable. It's all very well scraping one goal victories against teams like Kidderminster who will not go down the other end and punish you. But look what Wycombe did to us when we failed to finish them off.

Teams like Yeovil, Mansfield and Swansea will do the same unless we put away our chances.

Looking at the efforts of Kidderminster I think many clubs will try to get us with the quick goal from an all out attack in the first quarter of an hour, if we can sustain that, and if Spinner wears his proper boots I don't see why not

Until we can start putting away a better percentage of our chances, we will always be prone to the odd smash-and-grab raid. Wycombe the obvious case in point.

But, keep up this form, and we will see more teams than not who will prefer to hit us on the counter-attack. If we aren't getting the cushion of a 2nd goal very often, we will forever be nail-biting in the stands.

SoC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SoC @ Sep. 27 2004,17:21)]But, keep up this form, and we will see more teams than not who will prefer to hit us on the counter-attack.
Sounds pretty positive and refreshing to think that other teams will have to be a bit more tactical when coming to the Hall and take their chances when they can.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ Sep. 27 2004,17:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (AllAtSea @ Sep. 27 2004,17:10)]Resources, yes. Quality? Questionable.
Why don't we use these resources to improve quality?
We did. We spent a five figure fee on Lawrie Dudfield about six months ago. It's too early to be shelling out another outlay without giving him a proper crack of the whip.

Personally I think that our front two at the moment is worth persevering with. I believe they will put the ball away if given the chance. However, you may have noticed that most of our chances on Saturday were shots from outside the box. Gower's goal visibly gave his confidence a boost, and if he can start reproducing last season's form, more goals will follow IMO.

Looked a very clean strike from my vantage point and on watching it again.

Fear not, folks... we've won 4 out of 5 when, frankly, our strikers have been playing far below the level to which they ought to have been performing.

Once Tes & Dudders hit top gear - watch out League Two!

cool.gif

I could not agree more, we are doing well without our strikers getting the luck they deserve, if the two of them can stick with it, we will be flying before you know it. Now we have gower scoring, and Bents will grab a few, and i think Petts has got the ability aswell. I would like to see him getting in the box a little more, and playing the "right time at the right place" role, because often when Gower is bombing down the left, Petts often seems to have got away from his man, if we can use this to our advantage, we could end up with threats all over.

Also i would like to see Tes go for it more often, he has bin so good at holding it up recently, i mean on saturday, he kept turning his man, i would like to see him just crack one once in a while, dont remember him doing that at all against Kiddie.

Keep the faith

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 27 2004,18:02)]Once Tes & Dudders hit top gear - watch out League Two!
Problem is, when will this happen ?

Every club is looking for a 20 goals per season man, but lets be honest, only a 10% of clubs will get one. We were lucky to have Connie's goals last year but we can't expect it to happen every year, just because he's done it. We had a 10 year wait for it too happen, and we still had a sh*t finish in the league. The important thing is that everyone needs to chip in. This includes goals from Maher, Prior and Pettefer who should get more goals than they currently are. Gower and Bentley are only on one and i'd expect/hope they will get between 15-20 per season. Dudfield and Bramble will both be aiming for at least 25 between them and you expect the fring players to get 10 or so. Barrett's contribution is going to be key and if we keep defending steadily then we should do OK. But if we want the play-offs then we'll need that little bit more from every player, not just 3 or 4 ...

Kev

I personally have done this subject to death since Saturday night so here's a brief reminder...

4 wins in the last 6 = 12 points.
11 goals for and 7 goals against in that period.
14 shots on target from 25 total in our last game.
Plenty of industry, passion, desire, confidence and team spirit.
Goals from strikers, midfield & 6 goals from Adam [GOD] Barratt
The legend that is Steve Tilson and his side-kick Paul Brush.

Less of the pessimism lads! Please!!!
wink.gif

Back