• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can you drink during work hours?

Beer here now.

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
From the hacking-off thread, just curious if some people are still allowed to drink during lunch times. If yes, what do you do that has such lax morals? :winking:

I don't often drink as I drive most of the way to work, but an occasional two pinter during a lunchtime game of darts (assuming I'm getting the train home!) is absolutely fine

From the hacking-off thread, just curious if some people are still allowed to drink during lunch times. If yes, what do you do that has such lax morals? :winking:[/QUOTE

This has really bothered you hasn't it MK? sorry pal!

and Insurance Broker and yes I would say I have a pint or 2, 3 out of 5 days a week at lunch.

As I said in the other thread, not a problem at all here. What is a problem is that the older I get the more I just want to sleep if I drink during the day. Last time I had a couple of pints at lunchtime it was all I could do to keep my eyes open for the rest of the afternoon!

From the hacking-off thread, just curious if some people are still allowed to drink during lunch times. If yes, what do you do that has such lax morals? :winking:[/QUOTE

This has really bothered you hasn't it MK? sorry pal!

and Insurance Broker and yes I would say I have a pint or 2, 3 out of 5 days a week at lunch.

Not really - I never did it whilst working as such, but thinking back I used to have a few whilst doing my college release.

These days, I'm just amazed that it's allowed outside of rock 'n roll. :smile:

I've just remembered going for a meeting at a hip digital music company in Shoreditch last year and they offered me a beer at 11 in the morning so I duly obliged!

Yeah I work in the city, have 1 or 2 on a Friday or Thursday lunch. The record for lunch is 6 pints - wasn't a productive afternoon.

I've just remembered going for a meeting at a hip digital music company in Shoreditch last year and they offered me a beer at 11 in the morning so I duly obliged!

Bet it was craft beer from a micro-brewery served by a man with a trilby and beard. :facepalm:

I work at a US investment bank and lunchtime drinking is verboten except for compensation (bonus) day when the entire department leaves at lunchtime and drinks for the rest of the day.

As a contractor I am effectively paid to drink beer.

Last edited:
From the hacking-off thread, just curious if some people are still allowed to drink during lunch times. If yes, what do you do that has such lax morals? :winking:

A cheeky couple of beers during lunch shouldn't even be a question if people deliver what they're supposed to in the long run. I had to interview a bunch of existing colleagues to join my team recently so pushed the point by kicking off the interviews with a beer each from the company fridge! It was totally tongue-in-cheek, but... best interviews ever!

Pretty sure it's a public sector versus private sector thing.

I work for a Lloyds syndicate so lunchtime drinking is pretty much the norm. I don't do it often, maybe once or twice a week but I don't see the harm in it.

In publishing it was a regular Friday noon till midnight thing. Now in training/distance learning no-one cares but there's no-one to drink with either.

Not when I am on shift because it's an armed duty, it is also an offence to handle a dog under the influence. Although if working days every now and then we finish early and have a few beers at the section whilst technically on duty, normally with a BBQ.

Other trades and very rarely us we have beer calls where you're made to drink during working hours. When I was based at Henlow they used to have one the 1st Thursday of the month where the boss would give us an update on what has been occurring and then we would drink.

It's a massive drinking culture in the military so it's the normal. The people who aren't allowed to drink when at work are those classed as on safety critical duties. So any armed duty, pilots etc, they are breathilsed and it's a very low number needed to fail so even one drink can tip you over. A lot of my day to day jobs tend to be drink drivers on camp and safety critical duty breathiliser failings.

Back