• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

Ok, so was chatting to a United fan about yesterday's match, and he was saying that while it was massively disappointing, he couldn't help but enjoy watching Balotelli, Silva et al... and also he called Balotelli a legend. I said that it was unusual to hear a fan say stuff like that about a rival team's player, especially when Balotelli had given Ferdinand and colleagues some banter in last years derby. However he reckons that United needed a result like that, and also that Balotelli is a real character compared to some of the current United players. He mentioned Cantona as being the last player that United had in the Balotelli mould (completely bonkers, but a quality player).

Anyway, it got me thinking about our rivals and I'm struggling to think of many players where I've thought 'I'm supposed to hate you, but I can't help but like you a bit!'. Have there been any examples? Any thoughts?:unsure:

Always found Josh Low a talented player and liked to see him play I guess at this level but for me it cuts a bit too close to the bone when they are doing it against us.

I always thought Trundle was a class player, and he had some excellent games against us. Not sure I could find it in my heart to admire him though.

Going back a few years I remember Dean Windass playing against us for Bradford. He was getting loads of stick off the crowd anyway and then their keeper got sent off (Possibly Donovan Ricketts?) and Windass went in goal. I think we went on to win the game but Windass pulled off a number of half decent stops which whilst frustrating at the time was quite good to see.

Presumably you mean could I ever like a Col Ewe player? No I'm afraid not they are all ***** by definition. Sorry if that makes me a bad person.

There are a number of players I admire who play for other clubs, I regularly comment at games that, I like the look of certain opposition players

On Saturday Lowe, whilst being a tad immobile , even before the injury, caught my eye with his touch and lay offs and the Schoolchild/mascot/hobbit who was playing on the wing (no 19) looked lively too

Also there are players who would be the reverse, you hate them when against you but you would love to have them in your team, I would class Trundle in that mould, along with the likes of Robbie Savage

There are a number of players I admire who play for other clubs, I regularly comment at games that, I like the look of certain opposition players

On Saturday Lowe, whilst being a tad immobile , even before the injury, caught my eye with his touch and lay offs and the Schoolchild/mascot/hobbit who was playing on the wing (no 19) looked lively too

Also there are players who would be the reverse, you hate them when against you but you would love to have them in your team, I would class Trundle in that mould, along with the likes of Robbie Savage

I'd stick Anthony Grant in that category too. If I saw an opposition player go down as easily as he does I'd be livid. But when Granty does it for us on the edge of the opposition box and you know he knew what he was going you have to smile.

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the "Granty goes down easily" theory? He shields the ball well by getting his legs and body in the way, and he has good close control which invites attempted tackles, sometimes the contact is fairly minimal but it's still a foul.

Is Lowe, Howe? Assume so?

If so we had him on trail at Eastbourne away in a friendly and he was ****. Decent on saturday as a target man but didnt realy offer any goal threat.

Is Lowe, Howe? Assume so?

If so we had him on trail at Eastbourne away in a friendly and he was ****. Decent on saturday as a target man but didnt realy offer any goal threat.

Yeah, Howe is the one .....

Can't see him being a prolific goalscorer but given the right support from particular the midfielders pushing on he could create a lot

Always enjoy watching Akinfenwa play, ever since he ripped us apart at the Hall one afternoon playing for Swansea. The only time I've ever applauded an opposition player leaving the field who wasn't being either sent off or carried off :smiles:

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the "Granty goes down easily" theory? He shields the ball well by getting his legs and body in the way, and he has good close control which invites attempted tackles, sometimes the contact is fairly minimal but it's still a foul.

He is being fouled. But they are very soft free kicks and he knows exactly what he doing. He is looking for the foul as opposed to diving. It's clever play and is IMO something he would have learned whilst at Chelsea, perhaps not directly from the coaches but perhaps from other players.

Like I say I love it when he wins us freekicks in decent positions but if he was on the opposition doing the same I'd be pretty p*ssed off with him. I also think its no surprise that Granty is often the centre of these brawls that our players sometimes get caught up in such as Accrington away this year.

As someone who considers Barcelona to be the only team to truly rival Southend united, I would confess to having a grudging admiration for Lionel Messi. Although he's no Barry Corr is he?

Back