• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Judging by the amount of hastily cobbled together puns on Fabio Capello's name in this morning's British tabloids, it now seems certain that the former Real Madrid boss will be named as the new England manager by the time you read this. Either that, or the Football Association's press officer, who spent last night briefing everyone to say that it's a done deal, is going to have to look for new employment himself in 2008.

I'm still disappointed that Brian Barwick failed to convince Jose Mourinho to take the job. We will probably never know what they said to each other earlier this week, but I sincerely hope that the FA supremo didn't just march in and start waving money about. They say that anyone can be convinced to do anything if you know what buttons to press, and it seemed apparent that the way to Mourinho was to massage his bulging ego, not his already bulging wallet. Whatever happened, it's a great shame that they couldn't agree.

Despite Mourinho's all too public refusal of the job, there's no way that this should be seen as a case of "Second Choice Fabio." After all, Capello, more than anyone, fits the stated profile of 'world class' manager. The Italian has won a league title at every club he has ever managed and is widely regarded as one of the finest in the business. So why am I not convinced that this appointment will herald a golden era for English football?

For some reason there are ludicrously high levels of expectation for this position. England are the Tottenham of international football; they've won nothing of any importance since the 1960s, but the fans seem convinced of their divine right to silverware. This means that anything less than astonishing success breeds resentment and it's something that the British newspapers are only too happy to take advantage of. When Graham Taylor was publicly and personally eviscerated in 1993 it was a watershed for journalistic standards. From the moment that Taylor's head was superimposed onto a turnip, nothing was sacred.

In 2006, it seemed so apparent that Phil Scolari was next in line for a sip at the poisoned chalice, that journalists were packed off to Portugal in their droves. Scolari found himself besieged by photographers before he'd even agreed terms. A big, unflattering picture of Mrs Scolari, who looks exactly as you would expect a 60-something Brazilian grandmother to look, appeared in a British newspaper next to a picture of Sven Goran Eriksson's pendulumic girlfriend, the glamorous Nancy Del'Olio. The talks ended soon afterwards.

Capello has had to deal with the slings and arrows of the Madrid press, but at least they only ever attacked him for his tactics. A quick glance at today's newspapers will reveal, "Secret Drugs Shock Of New England Boss" and "Heart Of Stone - Fabio Never Returns To See Old Pals". Like Scolari, he hasn't even said 'yes' yet.

Sven Goran Eriksson put it very nicely earlier this month when he said that the key to success as an England manager was, "win every game, do not do anything in your private life and don't earn too much money."

The problem is that Eriksson's time at the helm of the national team is, minus the dalliances with TV presenters, the perfect blueprint for what we can expect from Capello. He delivered consistent results in a no-frills fashion, qualifying for every tournament at the top of the group and guiding England to the last eight of every competition. When he arrived England were crying out for a 'continental' manager who could do the simple things well, but in the end it was his simplicity and his nationality that turned the public and the press against him. Whatever you read now about Capello's undoubted tactical genius and worldwide knowledge, I promise you that you will see it all used against him after his first defeat when the call goes up for, "an English boss, someone who understands what it is to be passionate."

I wish Capello the very best of luck as England manager. I don't care what country the manager is from, or what tactics he plays, I just want to see my nation playing with pride and, for once, looking like they care as much as the fans do. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely convinced that he'll be given the chance to succeed.

At least none of the tabloids have twigged yet that Capello is the Italian for turnip

I think you are partly right, I belive the press may treat Capello with a tad more respect because IMO he is 'the real deal' no messing about here, he has the trophies to back himself all the way and an attitude that will make it clear to the press that he does not give a **** what they say about him. Maclown had one league cup and some mid table mediocrity to point at and at time rose to the baiting of the press, as did Taylor. You are spot on about sven personnally i liked him.

I still think that Jose was playing the FA like a tierd old fiddle to get what he wanted in a domestic arena

Interesting reading - although, to read that would be to suggest that Jose is the only man out there capable of taking the England job.

I think the description of us as the Spurs of international football is enormously apt. Play in white; irritating, moaning fans; not won anything of note since black & white telly stopped being broadcast; consistently overrated; tactically naive; not been any good since Venables last managed us... need I go on?

Ultimately, we get the manager we deserve. Psychologically, something happened to us - in the 1970s, I think, where the whole nation went through a horrendous social, economic and cultural upheaval, largely for the worse - where suddenly, we became afraid of winning. Winning was bad form, winning smacked of Empire (which was bad), losing gracefully became terribly British.

Which makes you think... maybe the current Stevenage manager ought to be managing the national side. It's a match made in an English heaven. Plus he was good with our U21s...

Hey ho.

Matt

Sadly, I do think Jose was the only one capable. Lippi and Capello are better managers with more impressive track records, but Mourinho was the only who'd be able to stave off the attack-dogs. The fact that the press are already nailing Capello for 'drugs' and 'not going back to his home town often enough' is a sign of what's to come.

We get the England we deserve, I'm afraid and we've got short memories

Hoddle - We need someone more passionate!

Keegan - We don't need a cheerleader who can't defend. We need to be more like the Italians and just get the job done!

Eriksson - How can a foreigner understand what it is to manage England? We need an Englishman, someone passionate!

McClaren - Why did we pick an Englishman? We need to pick the best in the business, someone 'world class'

Capello - ? (I reckon that 2010 will see the first shouts for Pearce. After all, we do need someone passionate....

Sadly I agree... We'll never be happy until we have the Brian Clough or Alf Ramsey of our generation. As i've said in other threads, Mourinho is the Clough of our era and, although it's not exactly the FA's fault this time, once again we've failed to appoint him.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Capello though in all honesty, I think he's the "Big man" that we've been after. World renowned and respected ahead of previous appointments and will undoubtedly get the job done in terms of qualification for tournaments and progressing until the dreaded Quarter Final stage... It's how he fares tactically from then on in when the Public need to judge him.

I'm a little mythed as to why the FA haven't seemingly interviewed Lippi at least, perhaps the language barrier has scared them off...

I've just had a thought:

* Capello needs an English side-kick
* England can't take penalties

...so let me be the first to say: Matt Le Tissier for England Assistant Manager!

:D

Can Capello do it? Certainly he can. His track record says as much. Will he be allowed to? I think the fans will give him time, the press however... Well, pack of greyhounds to Capello's rabbit, frankly. And, unfortunately, you get the idiots who believe everything they're told and join the press pack as soon as they get on his back. Really, it all depends on how much Capello can ignore the press and get on with the job in hand - Getting England tickets to SA2010.

would have wanted jose as did many others but capello was my second choice and after learning a lot more about him on the talk sport and sky sports news etc he seem more than qualified. makes you wonder just how mcclaren even got the job a year a go. seems he can deal with ego's and we all know how many england has.

sadly even before the job's his the press have already started on his private life and taking the ****. their the first to complain when don't qualify yet it 90% their fault we are where we are.

i hope capello gets the job and really sorts things out and bring back the passion to england. good luck to him and i have a lot more faith in him than i ever did mcclaren. never liked him and never will.

Back