• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Here in the UK, the TV companies who fought bitterly for the rights to screen the European Championships are now desperately trying to find a way of making them appeal to a sulking nation. One station leads its advertising campaign with footage of people in the street being asked who they'll support, and then mysteriously backing Sweden. A chocolate bar advertises itself on another channel with the far more realistic images of depressed England fans hurling their TV sets out the window. That's how we feel right now and that's why most people are ignoring Fabio Capello's end of season friendly against the USA at Wembley.

Not that it seems to have bothered the new man in town. Capello has been notably bullish this week, carrying out his first press conference in English and using it to assure people that he wants to be the most successful coach of the Three Lions since Bobby Robson. The wonderful old Geordie led us to the semi-finals of the World Cup in 1990, but in the eight years prior to that he was spat on by England fans at Wembley and hounded mercilessly by the tabloids. I wonder which stage he'll reach first.

Capello is still refusing to name a permanent England captain until the start of the qualifying campaign and it's causing the players no end of concern. John Terry, or 'England's Brave John Terry', as one newspaper has mockingly nicknamed him, still hasn't managed to regain his armband and with controversy surrounding an alleged spit on Carlos Tevez last week, he may have to wait a while longer yet. Rio Ferdinand, defender and party-organiser-in-chief, could get the nod again after an impressive end of season run-in.

With a squad of tired players, many of who are still recovering from 120 minutes in the Moscow rain, the friendly will be a chance for Capello to try put a few new faces. Dean Ashton, having missed his intended debut by tripping over little Shaun-Wright Phillips and snapping his ankle, may finally get his chance to play for his country. Ashton was fairly atrocious for most of the season, but scored some spectacular goals in the final weeks and earned himself a place in the squad. Ashton is a rarity in the England frontline in that, with Peter Crouch, he is one of the few strikers taller than a garden gnome. Entertainingly, Capello is now so certain that Ashton's team-mate, Rob Green, is unsuitable for the international team, that he has over-looked him in favour of Joe Lewis, who won promotion from League Two with Peterborough. Yep, that's League Two. One division below Southend United.

For the Americans, it will be a night of celebration as Landon Donavan makes his 100th appearance for the national side. This is the first of three high-profile friendlies for Bob Bradley's team as they prepare for World Cup qualification. Spain and Argentina follow in the next fortnight, but this is the big one for the USA. A chance to beat the old empire at their own game is not to be sniffed at and if England's pampered, perpetual disappointments are dreaming about their summer holidays when they trot out at Wembley, they could find themselves on the receiving end of yet another humiliation. England fans, however, with diaries that are upsettingly clear throughout June, have had plenty of experience of that.

Excellent stuff again, Slipper. And masterly introduction of the word "Southend" into an article about the National team.

But who would you pick for captain?

Thanks ACU! I try and get as many mentions of Southend into the Singaporean papers as I can. That way, if we did a Reading and sneaked into the EPL, we wouldn't have to worry about 'cracking Asia' as I'll have taken care of it already.

I think the ideal captain is sitting there already. Smarter than people think, proud to wear the shirt, knows exactly what pressures the younger players can be put under, understands what it's like to be vicitimised by his own fans and his own press. Never stops trying, decent right peg, likes a set-piece.

David Beckham. Trouble is that we treated him so appallingly in 2006 that he'd never go near it again.

Beyond that, I have no idea. None of them particularly appealing choices, are they?

I can only think that Capello has made JT captain for tomorrow night's game so that nobody can point the finger saying "Well, you never gave him a chance"... His despicable behaviour in the Champions League final proved to me what a vile footballer he really is.

I'd actually be happy for Rio to be captain. Has led United admirably this season, has cut the crap of his bad boy image and seems to be a more settled person these days. For the record, he had nothing to do with the Man United Christmas party either. There was a great interview in The Times I think it was last tuesday and he came across as an ideal captain for both Club and Country.

Thanks ACU! I try and get as many mentions of Southend into the Singaporean papers as I can. That way, if we did a Reading and sneaked into the EPL, we wouldn't have to worry about 'cracking Asia' as I'll have taken care of it already.

I think the ideal captain is sitting there already. Smarter than people think, proud to wear the shirt, knows exactly what pressures the younger players can be put under, understands what it's like to be vicitimised by his own fans and his own press. Never stops trying, decent right peg, likes a set-piece.

David Beckham. Trouble is that we treated him so appallingly in 2006 that he'd never go near it again.

Beyond that, I have no idea. None of them particularly appealing choices, are they?

Slightly off topic, but agree completely. The media seem to love to portray him as a dullard, but when interviewed he seems to be pretty sharp, just has a quiet manner.

How about Stevie G for captain?

*grabs tin hat and retires behind firewall*

Remembered my tip there this time Slip?!

There is no-one in the team at the moment that carries the fire and passion in their heart and the hunger in their belly playing not only as a representative but also as the captain of their country in the way that Beckham does. Put him in an England shirt and he'll give his all, can't say that about the likes of Terry, Ferdinand and Cole.

Back