• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Captain for 2021/22 is John White

Captain for 2021/22

• Total voters

palexander

Life President
Dont think Brown has named a captain yet and interesting he went with Ralph over White last night (considering he brought White to the club originally and gave him the strap). Maybe he has Coulson in mind, but who do you want as captain this season?

Brown has bigged up Ralph as "loving football as much as he (Brown) does" which was interesting. Get a smart player onside to be your onfield general - but if Ralph is expecting to be captain and play every game, where does that leave Clifford?

Personally going Dunne as I think CM is a good position to be a captain and he's been around a decent career.

I think it will be White (hence the vote) but would like Dunne to be skipper. Based on last night, I think he will be first choice in the midfield.

I think it will be White (hence the vote) but would like Dunne to be skipper. Based on last night, I think he will be first choice in the midfield.
First choice when not suspended. A few of his tackles will earn a fair few yellows and a sprinkling of reds if not timed well. Nice to see someone going in for a tackle though after the Deings and Mantoms we have had recently

I’d be disappointed if it wasn’t Dunne.

Was quite surprised seeing Ralph wearing the armband yesterday.

Dont think Brown has named a captain yet and interesting he went with Ralph over White last night (considering he brought White to the club originally and gave him the strap). Maybe he has Coulson in mind, but who do you want as captain this season?

Brown has bigged up Ralph as "loving football as much as he (Brown) does" which was interesting. Get a smart player onside to be your onfield general - but if Ralph is expecting to be captain and play every game, where does that leave Clifford?

Personally going Dunne as I think CM is a good position to be a captain and he's been around a decent career.
Clifford isn't a Brown type of player. He's not only a young player who requires coaching up but he's also pulled out of a number of games (including last night) with back spasms. Clifford isn't going anywhere for now as he's cheap and Ricky Duncan gets a say particularly over the youngsters but Ralph is absolutely going to be first choice. Clifford will get some time when Ralph is injured or when PB wants to play 2 left-backs - with either Ralph as left-sided CB or with one playing LM.

Clifford isn't a Brown type of player. He's not only a young player who requires coaching up but he's also pulled out of a number of games (including last night) with back spasms. Clifford isn't going anywhere for now as he's cheap and Ricky Duncan gets a say particularly over the youngsters but Ralph is absolutely going to be first choice. Clifford will get some time when Ralph is injured or when PB wants to play 2 left-backs - with either Ralph as left-sided CB or with one playing LM.
Yea can see that too. Not got a problem with Ralph really, apart from the number of relegations he's suffered!

For me you cant take it away from Mr Southend. Knows the club inside out, our most consistent performer, year after year, knows all the youngsters very well, significantly helped Hobson move up in standard, Got to be surely

I think giving it to Ralph was a token gesture for how hard he has worked to get back and his attitude to Brown since he has come in. Also a little thank you for signing the contract. As Brown stated, he signed as a league one player!

I think it could go to Coulson. People go on about White, Mr reliable, Mr Southend etc. But things have to change sometimes. White has been an ever present part of our downfall, thus a change is probably needed.

Dunne, Coulson, White and Demi are all the most likely.

Want a player with a cool head and someone the players respect? JW is your man. Although it is irrelevant at this stage of the season, he wore the armband against the baby Spammers and unless he has an injury recurrence then there is only one choice for me.

I want a leader and regular starter as Captain. None of this club captain nonsense who isn't going to play. For my money, that rules out White.

I want a leader and regular starter as Captain. None of this club captain nonsense who isn't going to play. For my money, that rules out White.
I agree with you to a degree. I think it has happened it the past, you can have a "club" captain i.e. one of the most experienced players who overseas the squad throughout the season, in training etc., yet you have a regular you is the captain for the match.

So how about White as club captain and Dunne as match day (on the pitch) captain?

PB likes Clifford but Ralph is clearly a better player right now.

Clifford will get his chance all young players do under PB, unlike some recent mangers he makes sure they are fully involved in the training games. They are part of it long before most on here ever get to see them.

Reactions: RHB
PB likes Clifford but Ralph is clearly a better player right now.

Clifford will get his chance all young players do under PB, unlike some recent mangers he makes sure they are fully involved in the training games. They are part of it long before most on here ever get to see them.

Knowing how Phil puts attitude ahead of ability I reckon Tom Clifford has already blotted his copy book in Phil’s eyes.
He certainly wasn’t impressed yesterday reading this from the Echo -

Tom pulled out with a bad back," said Brown.

"I don’t know if it’s the travelling he’s been doing in his car but we’ve also been at Five Lakes for the past few days so maybe it’s the swimming we’ve been doing there.

But he was complaining about a bad back so he couldn’t play when he was due to play the second 45 minutes.

Want a player with a cool head and someone the players respect? JW is your man. Although it is irrelevant at this stage of the season, he wore the armband against the baby Spammers and unless the has an injury recurrence then there is only one choice for me.
Really? I’ve seen him get booked on numerous occasions for gobbing off at the ref!

If JW was the last bloke on earth you still wouldn't have a good word to say about him @Ricey
No, I rate him over Gary Deegan but that doesn’t say a lot. And I will praise him if he has a good game. I just don’t see all the fuss around him. Just because he’s been with the club a long time doesn’t make him a legend. He was captain of back to back relegations! I’d like a change!

Back