• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Captain for this season

The fact that there isn’t one really good candidate speaks volumes about why last season was so difficult. Go sign some leaders Mark
Couldn’t agree more, this has been obvious to us all. I’m hoping that we do actually already have the “ right man” we just don’t know it ——yet.

White is the obvious choice in terms of his experience but you have to wonder how much he's going to play this season. I'm not sure about Dieng and I'm not a fan of this modern trend of goalkeepers being captains. Imagine Molesley might want to bring in his own man, like Phil Brown did with White.

JW won't be a regular this season, and looking at the team we have its either got to be Oxley or JD.

Maybe Timothy?

But in all honesty ... if we can ? I think they need to sign a leader.

I think it would be wise for Molseley to give the captaincy to one of the new players we hopefully sign (embargo permitting)
It would signal a new dawn and to be honest I don't see any of our current crop as natural leaders.

I'm hoping that one of the players who might join us is the current Weymouth captain and holding midfielder Jake Mccarthy. He's been described as outstandingly consistent over the past 3 years and is still only 24 years old.

It won't be McCarthy as he's just signed a new contract at Weymouth.

JW won't be a regular this season, and looking at the team we have its either got to be Oxley or JD.

Maybe Timothy?

But in all honesty ... if we can ? I think they need to sign a leader.
Believe ox will be gone before the end of the window - mostly due to personal circa i won't discuss but also I doubt Lee going will help as a prospective non league 25 yr old inexperienced keeper coach won't inspire him much rightly or wrongly. I know both MM and Fagan don't want him to go until a replacement can be found or registered!
From what I know JDs knee is likely to be managed far better by MM in respect of being ready for games than it was by SC. MM knows how career ending injuries are managed.
JD would be a good captain as he helps the youngsters loads already

For this season I would go with John White. I agree that he isn't very vocal but when he captained us to the play-off final just about every player rated him as skipper. The younger players look up to him and his leadership qualities are in the way he gives 100% for the full 90 and the quiet way he talks to players. Not everyone has to be a gobshite on the pitch to gain respect.

Criteria no 1 will be a player that plays almost every game he is fit for. Someone that the manager will rarely, if ever consider leaving out for tactical reasons.

After that it’s down to who he thinks it will improve or at least not affect his performance and how much help he is around the football club.

JD would fit the bill well but after that the only other realistic option of someone who will play most games and has the respect of the other players would be Elvis and that’s a big weight on a young players shoulders....

Believe ox will be gone before the end of the window - mostly due to personal circa i won't discuss but also I doubt Lee going will help as a prospective non league 25 yr old inexperienced keeper coach won't inspire him much rightly or wrongly. I know both MM and Fagan don't want him to go until a replacement can be found or registered!
From what I know JDs knee is likely to be managed far better by MM in respect of being ready for games than it was by SC. MM knows how career ending injuries are managed.
JD would be a good captain as he helps the youngsters loads already

Is Lee Harrison leaving?

Gues
Is Lee Harrison leaving?
think 2 and 2 has been put together as it is believed Weymouths GK coach is coming with MM, think it is the assistant managers brother.

However, I didnt think any back room staff had been confirmed yet other than the assistant manager

Last edited:
I think we have more chance of MM signing someone to be captain, which could be problematic if his targets are rising non-league players [if we can ever sign anybody]

Options limited, surely JW is the best option we have if he's fit. Unless Demi no longer has knee problem, can train more than 3 times a week and be able to play week in week out now then I'd say either of them. But assuming Demi isn't always going to be available, JW.

It's a question of who the manager sees as being a mainstay in his side and he might take a few weeks to figure that out. At that point he'll realise there's a case against all of them, sign someone new, and make them captain. Oxley is the only candidate from the current squad as he's the only one who, if fit, is guaranteed his place.

Back