• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Captain for this season

Just need a few on field leaders ,then the captaincy will take care of itself.

Ha how are people suggesting John White? He's on a temporary deal! Not the sort of inspiration you need for a captain.

I suggested Jake McCarthy a week or so ago, would be an interesting signing.

Failing that, like a few others, I cant see anyone really stepping up. Harry Lennon is a possibility, but question marks over his ability to stay fit. Defo dont want Oxley (dont like keepers as captains) or Demi (again, fitness question marks).

I just hope we can sign someone (ANYONE! Lol) as a captain. Just remember back to Phil Brown when he said you want your first signing to be a statement when he signed White. Hopefully MM can do Something siimilar.

Ha how are people suggesting John White? He's on a temporary deal! Not the sort of inspiration you need for a captain.

I suggested Jake McCarthy a week or so ago, would be an interesting signing.

Failing that, like a few others, I cant see anyone really stepping up. Harry Lennon is a possibility, but question marks over his ability to stay fit. Defo dont want Oxley (dont like keepers as captains) or Demi (again, fitness question marks).

I just hope we can sign someone (ANYONE! Lol) as a captain. Just remember back to Phil Brown when he said you want your first signing to be a statement when he signed White. Hopefully MM can do Something siimilar.

Jake McCarthy signed a new deal with Weymouth yesterday.

Jake McCarthy signed a new deal with Weymouth yesterday.
When you say deal, its a one year deal for the coming season. Who would begrudge Weymouth a small transfer fee for one of their players, similar to when we grabbed Brandon Goodship.

Part time deal? I'm sure if MM wanted him, it would happen somehow.

Don’t know details but I’m sure if MM wanted him this season then the contract extension wouldn’t have happened somehow.

I think the emphasis will be on adding some experience and that’s certainly what Ron suggested before the appointment. The feeling is we’ve got some good young players who need some experience alongside them - and a 23 year old non-league player doesn’t fit that.

When you say deal, its a one year deal for the coming season. Who would begrudge Weymouth a small transfer fee for one of their players, similar to when we grabbed Brandon Goodship.

Ron.

And I think we took Goodship on a free as he was over 24 and out of contract. The only thing I would say about McCarthy is that if we signed him next summer we then wouldn’t owe Weymouth anything.

Don’t know details but I’m sure if MM wanted him this season then the contract extension wouldn’t have happened somehow.

I think the emphasis will be on adding some experience and that’s certainly what Ron suggested before the appointment. The feeling is we’ve got some good young players who need some experience alongside them - and a 23 year old non-league player doesn’t fit that.

Ron.

And I think we took Goodship on a free as he was over 24 and out of contract. The only thing I would say about McCarthy is that if we signed him next summer we then wouldn’t owe Weymouth anything.

Ah yes, forgot about the main man.

Agreed we got Goodship on a free, but I'm led to understand from one of the Weymouth directors who frequents a local pub to my father in law down there that the Goodship whilst no cash changed hands a gentleman's agreement was put in place for a couple of pre-season friendlies (one last season and one was arranged for this season but Covid-19 has postponed / cancelled that)

Another frequenter of the pub is one John Crabbe (played for Gillingham in the late 70s early 80s as well as other clubs) but thats completely off topic

Harry Lennon, is this some sort of sick joke? Plus he'd have to be able to play for than 1 game before getting injured to be captain.
Never said it was a joke. If he is fit he does have all the credentials to be a captain. What’s happened in the past is exactly that the past and as MM said everyone has a clean slate. I am looking at the current squad and there are not many standouts in ther eon contracts till the end of the season.

There seems to be too many question marks around most of the existing squad. Hopefully MM has someone lined up who will be our new Kevin Maher.

Never said it was a joke. If he is fit he does have all the credentials to be a captain. What’s happened in the past is exactly that the past and as MM said everyone has a clean slate. I am looking at the current squad and there are not many standouts in ther eon contracts till the end of the season.

Not being sarcastic, but just wondering what credentials he has to be captain? I genuinely haven’t seen anything that makes me think that.

He isn’t experienced, doesn’t strike me as someone who commands respect from the rest of the squad and I don’t think he’s a particularly good reader of the game. I never quite got the hype for him. Incredibly injury prone and looked like he had at least one howler per game in him.

I think we’re really scraping the barrel with captaincy choices here. I trust Molesley to recognise that and get a good experienced leader in. We’re desperate for it and it’s been a big contributor to the performances on the pitch the last few years.

Anybody know if Lennon and Kyprianou are training? Of all the squad pictures I've not seen them in there

Ron.

Nevertheless, strong rumour down that way and amongst their local sports reporters is that when/if he is able, MM will be looking to make a move for him. And I would trust his judgement on that.

There seems to be too many question marks around most of the existing squad. Hopefully MM has someone lined up who will be our new Kevin Maher.

Harry Phillips is our new Kevin Maher*.

He's also the only player under contract for next season.

*He plays the same position, has been here for ever and is comfortable on the ball and always open.

Back