• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Captain for this season

If MM made Lennon captain then I would trust his judgement. However as a player he is tall and is quite quick, which is useful, but he always looks as if he has a big mistake or blunder in his game. Maybe that's why he didn't make it at Charlton.

If MM made Lennon captain then I would trust his judgement. However as a player he is tall and is quite quick, which is useful, but he always looks as if he has a big mistake or blunder in his game. Maybe that's why he didn't make it at Charlton.

Not many players at our level, who are not prone to a big mistake, that's why we are at a lower level this year.

I do think its going to be Harry Lennon. As long as he is fit quite soon.
Would be my choice strong, big, and can organise from the back.
There is a very good player in there, and i think Captain could be the making of him.
Some players thrive on being made Captain, other's duck away. A good Manager can see that.
Too me after the bad press and some abuse from his own fans, after Fatling Gate.
This is just what Southend United and Harry need.
I hope it is Lennon just to see the reaction of the pitchfork brigade.

If we don’t sign anyone else imminently then I would go for Demetriou. He’s an international captain and is more than experienced enough. From what I’ve read so far in pre season it seems Molesley has been playing JD as a defensive midfielder which is exactly where we need him and ideally where you’d want the skipper given the inexperienced midfield.

I don’t think White will be enough of a regular starter and I’m not convinced he’s captain material. Got to be JD for me unless we sign a Grant or a McCormack type.

If we don’t sign anyone else imminently then I would go for Demetriou. He’s an international captain and is more than experienced enough. From what I’ve read so far in pre season it seems Molesley has been playing JD as a defensive midfielder which is exactly where we need him and ideally where you’d want the skipper given the inexperienced midfield.

I don’t think White will be enough of a regular starter and I’m not convinced he’s captain material. Got to be JD for me unless we sign a Grant or a McCormack type.

Plus he’s only contracted until the end of January. No point appointing a captain who could be gone before the end of the season.

I wouldnt be unhappy with Demmy as captain given his experience .I quite like to see him operate in midfield as well although unsure of the more defensive aspect as he does like getting forward. He also needs to be carefully managed leg wise these days and am I wrong in thinking he has lost a bit of pace. When I first saw him at fullback he seemed to be better in the tackle and quicker on the turn. Some years on , I felt he was getting a bit turned over too often at the back, So just have a little niggling question mark in my mind about the defensive midfielder or his role as a back end of a diamond ? But maybe the STATS could prove me wrong
John Whites a natural leader and well respected but how do you carry weight with the uncertainty of a 6 month contract? . Lennon also crossed my mind if he is fit and determines to put the past behind him, Dieng did quite well at times and the captaicy clearly inspired him a little but Im not sure he carries enough gravitas , effort and skill to continue to carry the role in league 2

Think we're so devoid of appropriate options, I'm not really fussed. If we're lacking leaders across the pitch (no fault of MM) then a sub-optimal captain isn't going to change much. As much as I'd love to see White get it again (he could be made club captain), we shouldn't get too hung up about it coming down to either Dieng or Demetriou (Dieng for me, if that was the option though). Molesley may well have indentified someone he thinks is best option and I hope we can all get behind that person, whomever it will be.

I’m not sure Lennon needs the extra pressure of captaincy while he builds up his game time and fitness. It’ll only give people another reason to have a dig at him (in my opinion).
Of course though..playing devils advocate for a sec..does the actual armband mean that much? Leaders tend to surface regardless and we’ve had a lack of them even going back to Barrett leaving. We arguably had none at all the last 2 seasons. It would be great if a couple emerged from the ashes, phoenix-like, and the captaincy may then take care of itself.

I’m not sure Lennon needs the extra pressure of captaincy while he builds up his game time and fitness. It’ll only give people another reason to have a dig at him (in my opinion).
Of course though..playing devils advocate for a sec..does the actual armband mean that much? Leaders tend to surface regardless and we’ve had a lack of them even going back to Barrett leaving. We arguably had none at all the last 2 seasons. It would be great if a couple emerged from the ashes, phoenix-like, and the captaincy may then take care of itself.

They do. I am not suggesting this is the right time for him now but Elvis was the player taking instructions from the management, passing them on and encouraging the team forward in matches when all looked lost last seaon. One for the near future and hopefully with us. JW or Demi now for me but natural leaders will emerge and I don't think Lennon is one of them (nothing to do with Dovergate) nor is Dieng.

They do. I am not suggesting this is the right time for him now but Elvis was the player taking instructions from the management, passing them on and encouraging the team forward in matches when all looked lost last seaon. One for the near future and hopefully with us. JW or Demi now for me but natural leaders will emerge and I don't think Lennon is one of them (nothing to do with Dovergate) nor is Dieng.
Elvis is an interesting shout.

Thing about White and the short contract, surely if he's captain they'd sort out an extension fairly quickly

The 6 month contract happened when we were manager-less and even the chairman realised that perhaps we shouldn't lose the player. MM will surely take a look at White now and call it either way.

The 6 month contract happened when we were manager-less and even the chairman realised that perhaps we shouldn't lose the player. MM will surely take a look at White now and call it either way.
JW has had some real bad breaks, pun intended, and he, and the club, are likely concerned about a 4th break which would be perhaps career ending. If JW plays, plays well then he, the club, will look to extend, or maybe options will be more available for 2021.
Captain? Very possible.

JW has had some real bad breaks, pun intended, and he, and the club, are likely concerned about a 4th break which would be perhaps career ending. If JW plays, plays well then he, the club, will look to extend, or maybe options will be more available for 2021.
Captain? Very possible.
If that were to happen then yes possible, but equally the chance is it won’t happen and therefore improbable.

like everyone I am a fan of JW but it is hard in my mind to give the captaincy to a man on a 6 month contract, if that were extended before the season starts then more chance of happening

MM has a issue to decide who to wear the armband,JW and Deni both experienced players but are they like to play every game whereas Oxley also experienced but a goalkeeper.Personally I believe it should be an outfield player but the manager may think differently

Also do new Managers tend to pick a new man, as "theirs ", to emphasise the change and have a new ear to the ground ?

Back