• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Car advice

Pubey

Looking to upgrade the pocket rocket Clio. Done us well, but it's too small and not really suited to the miles we are tending to do.

Got my eye on getting a nearly new Golf, don't really want a car that's particularly old or gone particularly far, because want it to last us a while and be a decent 'young family' car in the future.

Noticed when driving today that Golfs are everywhere, so is it boring, or is it just because they're a good car? I'm not really into cars, but got my eye on something like a 2.0 diesel, maybe the GT.

Any thoughts, views, other cars to take a look at?

Also, cash buyers, with an old Clio to part exchange, can we look to get a significant improvement on the prices advertised on auto-trader?

Looking to upgrade the pocket rocket Clio. Done us well, but it's too small and not really suited to the miles we are tending to do.

Got my eye on getting a nearly new Golf, don't really want a car that's particularly old or gone particularly far, because want it to last us a while and be a decent 'young family' car in the future.

Noticed when driving today that Golfs are everywhere, so is it boring, or is it just because they're a good car? I'm not really into cars, but got my eye on something like a 2.0 diesel, maybe the GT.

Any thoughts, views, other cars to take a look at?

Also, cash buyers, with an old Clio to part exchange, can we look to get a significant improvement on the prices advertised on auto-trader?
The reason you noticed them everywhere is because you are looking out for them... choose a different car and you'll see that everywhere. I doubt everyone would buy them because they are boring!

The reason you noticed them everywhere is because you are looking out for them... choose a different car and you'll see that everywhere. I doubt everyone would buy them because they are boring!

Maybe, but I did see about 4 in one row of about 10 in a carpark. They are definitely popular, and get solid reviews, but general consensus is that you pay a bit of a premium for them and are there other similar cars that I should look at ("like a golf, but not a golf"). Sat in a mates Seat Leon the other day which was nice, but probably a bit too low slung for me.

The Audi A4 is worth a look.

My dad has an A6 estate, so always had a soft spot for Audi's. Think the A4 is probably too big for us though, we have street parking on our road, and I'm often shifting a set of drums around so need a hatchback rather than a saloon.

Had a bit of a look at an A3, but they look a bit dated because they 8 years old or something. The other car that looks tempting is a Giulietta.

The new Focus is very nice and there are good choices of different models. I think you pay quite a premium on insurance for Golfs don't you? Seen as expensive boy racer cars so I was led to believe.

The other car that looks tempting is a Giulietta.
Be a bit careful if you are hoping to do a lot of miles.

A Diesel Golf would be an excellent choice. Be prepared to pay quite a bit as they hold thier money quite well.
Might also be worth looking at new cars, there are some good deals out there and once you get used to the pay monthly system, you will also enjoy the benefits of warranty and peace of mind motoring.
It might mean having car of a lower standard initially but as you get older and get used to making the payments you will find it easier to upgrade.

If you get the right deal its pretty good. Example, I got a great deal on wifes Fiesta over a 3 year period - Ford were doing an interest free paymen option. After about 2 years, the car was worth more second hand than I owed on the payments, so I sold it, squared up the payments and had about 1500 quid left over to use as a deposit on the next one which was nice.

I always find http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/ a good source of information. Personally I'd out the Clio privately (popular car for the youngsters) and then hit the dealers.

Remember, most dealers will be looking to hit sales figures for year end come mid-march and you should get more bargaining power that way (especially if you have no part-ex). Also the new Registration is due out on 1st March so there should be plenty of stock floating around the 2nd hand market to choose from.

Oh, don't accept their GAP insurance offer as it's generally over priced. Cheap enough to buy it yourself on the open market - should you wish.

Forgot to add, if you buy from the 'Used Car supermarkets' (plenty in the midlands) beware of their 'admin fees'. I purchased my Mondeo from Evans Halshaw in Manchester and they also charge an admin fee - but did a price match against a car I was buying from Motorpoint. :winking:

How much do you want to spend? What kind of mileage do you do a year and is this likely to change a great deal in future?

Unless you're going to be doing over 15K miles a year you'll be better off with a petrol as they're cheaper to buy and service than a diesel (also cheaper to fix if they go wrong as they're less complex), this takes into account the cheap VED you get with a diesel as well.

I've seen a few Golfs and they do look a little bland inside, not really keen on them myself and as you say Audi A3s haven't been replaced for nearly a decade now so I wouldn't bother with those either. I've got a brand new Focus Titanium as a company car and it's pretty nice but a little cramped in the back if you're passengers are more than average height.

If you're looking for a hatchback that isn't too big, but can fit a lot of toot in, i manage to get all my DJ stuff in my i30. Can probably get some good deals on them just now, and they are bringing out the new editions in April. That said, the new styling on the new ones looks much better than the current models, and the 1.6 Diesel will be free on the tax.

while we are on the cars theme. Does anyone own a Fiat 500? if so, what are the +'s and -'s?

Cheers for the help guys. Probably spend between 10-15. I do about 15k a year, might increase a little. I like the way diesels cruise on motorways, which is why I've been leaning towards one.

i30 looks really interesting, will give it a look.

while we are on the cars theme. Does anyone own a Fiat 500? if so, what are the +'s and -'s?

They are very underpowered but on the plus side fit easily into most overhead storage bins

They are very underpowered but on the plus side fit easily into most overhead storage bins

The new Ka is basically the same car isn't it? If so, the 1.2 petrol is quite possibly the worst engine to ever be put in a car.

The mrs got the 1.3 diesel instead, now all I can say is that 1) £20 per year tax is good, 2) 60mpg is super and 3) for a tiny car they do have quite a bit of power, the torque on it is brilliant, I've done nearly a ton in it and it still wanted to go faster. The only downside is there's that problem where you need to put a continuous 3000 revs or something through it for 20 minutes a day or one of the sensors goes mental. Fine for her travelling from Canvey to Lakeside 5 times a week but definitely NOT as a town car.

I bought myself a mk 6 golf gti six months ago (dsg model) and have to say I love it too bits. could not fault it . plenty of power, plenty of space and got all the mod cons in it. I would reccomend to anyone :)

Back