• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Car Insurance - total rip off

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
Just got my insurance renewal on our people carrier...

Endsleigh have increased our premium by 43% !! Yes, 43 PERCENT - due to a claim made last year, when my wife was victim to a hit and run after another car rammed our car.

Subsequently we paid the £300 excess as the po-lice were unable to trace the other car, and now despite having protected NCB our premium has gone up by over 80 quid a year...

Anyone had a similar problem, or was able to get a good price - what insurance companies are you with or recommend? I heard not all penalise you if an accident was not your fault?

I raised an official complaint to Endslegh, they knocked a bit off the policy, but I have told them to stick it. Problem is after checking on Go Compare the alternatives are even more expensive :-(

What can I do? Also just tried Direct Line, even more expensive than GC :-(

I was with Direct Line many years ago when I wrote off my car. I claimed got a brand new replacement and then the next year my premium went down. Work that one out!

Tesco have been pretty good with my wife and didn't increase when she had a crash (not at fault).

So you have claimed on your insurance, kept your no claims bonus and the premium has gone up. Its a bit difficult to understand what the problem is to be honest.
if you honestly believe its a rip off , I would suggest that you get the statutory minimum third party insurance and "self insure " the rest, put the money saved to one side and see if you make a profit over the years...

I don't think no one stays with the same company for more than two years as they all price themselves out when loyalty should count for something, I've had to change mine each year for the last four years:'(

I was with Direct Line many years ago when I wrote off my car. I claimed got a brand new replacement and then the next year my premium went down. Work that one out!

Tesco have been pretty good with my wife and didn't increase when she had a crash (not at fault).

i bet DL couldn't answer that one?

thanks for the tip Ricey, I will give Tesco a shout.

So you have claimed on your insurance, kept your no claims bonus and the premium has gone up. Its a bit difficult to understand what the problem is to be honest.
if you honestly believe its a rip off , I would suggest that you get the statutory minimum third party insurance and "self insure " the rest, put the money saved to one side and see if you make a profit over the years...

I do that with our cat insurance, ie I don't insure them, even thought they cost us a heap of cash ( they're Orientals) but we end up spending the money we saved on the premium, would probably do the same on the car so too risky as the car is quite new

I don't think no one stays with the same company for more than two years as they all price themselves out when loyalty should count for something, I've had to change mine each year for the last four years:'(

I regulary change insurers, this was the first year with Endsleigh, and the claim was made within the 1st month, guess this is why they won't budge as they want some money back on the claim.

Tis is all a rip off anyway mate, as their policies are all underwritten...

my work car is insured with RAC, so may give them a go too - may even get a multi car discount?

If your insurance shoots up, the rule of thumb is to put your details into compare whatever, and get one of the cheapest 3 quotes. It really does save you time and effort. Excess amount can sometimes make you not take the cheapest quote.
It's a waste of time nowadays phoning or emailing a car insurance company that you heard was cheap, as it all depends on the person and car to be insured. Everyone kept telling me Tesco, but it was about the Eight cheapest in my case.

If your insurance shoots up, the rule of thumb is to put your details into compare whatever, and get one of the cheapest 3 quotes. It really does save you time and effort. Excess amount can sometimes make you not take the cheapest quote.
It's a waste of time nowadays phoning or emailing a car insurance company that you heard was cheap, as it all depends on the person and car to be insured. Everyone kept telling me Tesco, but it was about the Eight cheapest in my case.

yep, often use the comparison websites, and even have a family of Meerkats to prove it :smile:

Just read the small print with quotes from comparison sites. When I was doing recovery, we picked up a surprising number of uninsured vehicles with drivers absolutely convinced they were. On a lot of occasions it turned out that people were driving on group insurance but the very low quoted prices weren't actually covering multiple drivers like they thought. Even one of the police officers who nicked a driver phoned his Mrs to check and it turned out she wasn't insured on his policy. Cheapest isn't always the best.

Oh, and Liverpool Victoria are pretty good.

Just read the small print with quotes from comparison sites. When I was doing recovery, we picked up a surprising number of uninsured vehicles with drivers absolutely convinced they were. On a lot of occasions it turned out that people were driving on group insurance but the very low quoted prices weren't actually covering multiple drivers like they thought. Even one of the police officers who nicked a driver phoned his Mrs to check and it turned out she wasn't insured on his policy. Cheapest isn't always the best.

Oh, and Liverpool Victoria are pretty good.

That's who I ended up with. I normally let Swinton come up with my insurance, been with them since the early eighties, but they were very pricey this year with the companies they use, so I had to break away.
LV was the second cheapest in my case, but only a few quid, but they were much better on the excess, so went with them.

Just doing mine. No claims and premium about the same as last year... £650. However plugged details into Confused.com and got same cover, with same provider quoted for £450. A phone call in the morning to see what Tesco come up with. ALways rely on people not checking.

When I first passed, aged 17, I tried looking for insurance, a 1.2 litre Corsa, first quote I got was £12,000 a year minimum including a black box monitoring system and limits on passengers under 21 and times you could drive. Insurance for young people is crazy, while there are some idiots out there and young people are often the most likely to be involved in accidents, many are being priced out of driving because of insurance.

Back