• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dloman

Manager
With the changes being implemented in October i believe as you will no longer have a physical disc to display, my question is : Isn't about time this was abolished perhaps in favour of adding a couple of pence per litre to fuel to cover the shortfall in revenue?

My reasonings behind this are:

Firstly it is simply a pain in the arse but more importantly by increasing the tax on fuel it would force the foreign drivers, of which there are many especially HGV's to contribute to the overall pot. Also obviously the more you drive the more you will pay, which again seems a fair solution. It could also be argued that if you do drive a lot you would be encouraged then to buy more economical cars to save a bit of cash.

I cannot see too many downsides though i am sure our learned friends on here will put me right.

Getting a refund is a big hassle! As for paying for it, doesn't it take just 10 minutes online?

I bet some will disagree as they pay very little car tax, I know the car I learnt to in was either very little or nothing to tax while my car is a couple of hundred.

I like the idea of not having a physical one as it is a pain in the arse to put the new one in.

With the changes being implemented in October i believe as you will no longer have a physical disc to display, my question is : Isn't about time this was abolished perhaps in favour of adding a couple of pence per litre to fuel to cover the shortfall in revenue?

Firstly it is simply a pain in the arse but more importantly by increasing the tax on fuel it would force the foreign drivers, of which there are many especially HGV's to contribute to the overall pot. Also obviously the more you drive the more you will pay, which again seems a fair solution. It could also be argued that if you do drive a lot you would be encouraged then to buy more economical cars to save a bit of cash.

I cannot see too many downsides though i am sure our learned friends on here will put me right.

No it's not. In rural areas, driving is a necessity not a want. We have to drive our kids to school for example. Why should we burdened?

No it's not. In rural areas, driving is a necessity not a want. We have to drive our kids to school for example. Why should we burdened?

Because you choose to live in the country:winking:

The price of fuel is already way too expensive. More tax on petrol will squeeze the cost of living even further.

Well just as an example and obviously dependent on the car you drive etc, a full tank each week would cost approx an extra 2.40 so that would roughly equate to 140 pounds a year. Now a 60 litre tank would give you around 400 miles driving a week.

To put in context my road tax is 225 a year. Now i don't know the amount of foreign HGV's or other vehicles that use the UK roads everyyear but i am sure it is in the millions.

Well just as an example and obviously dependent on the car you drive etc, a full tank each week would cost approx an extra 2.40 so that would roughly equate to 140 pounds a year. Now a 60 litre tank would give you around 400 miles driving a week.

To put in context my road tax is 225 a year. Now i don't know the amount of foreign HGV's or other vehicles that use the UK roads everyyear but i am sure it is in the millions.

OK, say we increase the price of tax on fuel. You're looking at it from a public perspective. Now from a business perspective.

Say I want to buy some raw materials - the first thing to look at is the cost. This is basic business sense. But how much will it cost to deliver them here? If it's cheaper to import using airfreight from Johnny Foreigner rather than a UK company because of the fuel costs, then quite frankly I'll go for the cheaper option every time.

UK delivery companies will have to factor in the tax increase into their prices. This will get factored into the price of UK goods. Inflation will have to increase to keep up. Meanwhile the average earnings are decreasing.

Moving one tax to another isn't quite as simple as you may think.

No thanks. I don't have to pay road tax for my car.

Uncle Leo cruising down the seafront. Looking goooood ladies.....

child-driving-toy-car-15304821.jpg

Uncle Leo cruising down the seafront. Looking goooood ladies.....

child-driving-toy-car-15304821.jpg

Arf! The Eco Boost engine on the new Ford Focus means the car is almost as efficient as that little lad's motor, which means the government like it. Paid £20 last year, but got a new one in April and that was totally tax free. Hooray for me!

My road tax is £30 a year. Why would I want an increase of £140 a year instead?

I pay £20 a year car tax so I am dead against it going on fuel. Would cost me a whole lot more over a year

I don't have a problem with road tax, but I do fail to see why there is not a standard rate . If you have something that eats fuel (which I do) then you pay more tax than anyone else as you use more fuel***. I don't see why I should pay twice.
Also , as a generalization cars are getting more and more fuel efficient and newer cars pay lower car tax. In other words if you have the money for a new car then you also win on the low car tax,so people who cant afford a new car end up paying even more.

My 5.7 actually runs on LPG which is 1/2 price of diesel so at least I win somewhere

"Road Tax" was abolished in the 1930s. I think you people are referring to Vehicle Excise Duty :winking:

I drive 5000 miles per year and pay 220 quid in my MX5!,Yet another person with the same car may drive 50,000 per year and still pay the same as me,That cannot be right.

Put a small levy on fuel is the only fair way unless you are Napster who lives in his country pile and is far too mean to pay extra:winking:

I drive 5000 miles per year and pay 220 quid in my MX5!,Yet another person with the same car may drive 50,000 per year and still pay the same as me,That cannot be right.

Put a small levy on fuel is the only fair way unless you are Napster who lives in his country pile and is far too mean to pay extra:winking:

That is your punishment for driving a hairdressers car

Hang on a cotton pickin minute. Why is that the only fair way?. Please explain.

Their fuel cost will probably be 10 times higher and insurance could be more too.

Back