• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Career changes - going self employed.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Has anyone started up on their own? I would be interested to hear about how it went and what problems you faced.

I cant offer any advice, but I would guess that Napper or DTS will be the best bets if its the service industry, Grouty for proper work.

PM or wait to see if they post

Knowing Cyril I imagine its along the lines of....

00839R.jpg

I write software for a bank.

I'm interested in writing software for other people without going down the contract programmer route.

I would recommend it to anyone MC, Outstanding Branding is nearly 3 years old and we now employ 7 members of staff. I have learnt a lot about business in that time. Cash flow / Credit control are key, knowing your market, preparing a business plan to work to and look at regularly, making sure that the areas you arent strong in that you get the best you can afford (For us it was Solicitors and Accountants) or spend some time learning those areas. Get your employment contract checked to see what your present employer contractually restrict you to do or what they think they restrict you doing. Get some mentors, people who you can bounce ideas off, use all the free resource available, i managed to get us to page 1 of google for 3 chosen keywords using free or nearly free tools, thankfully we now pay for someone to do it but its achievable. Plan, Plan, Plan which isnt my strongest point but it has paid handsomely.

Most of all believe in yourself and enjoy it

Any info you want let me know

I did it a year ago, and it's fantastic. I have clients in New York, UK and India. The main problem I have is converting leads to sales - I might have a few companies interested, but then nothing happens, or the terms have changed.

Social media is a must. Linkedin has brought me all of my work.

Another huge problem is credit control. Chasing up people for payment is hard work. Now I insist of being paid a proportion up front.

As a freelancer I didn't make any concrete plans; I got lucky with a few contracts then things dropped in when I least expected it. Now I have set up a separate events company, I have had to do a proper business plan with cash flow forecasts, etc.

It's great knowing you're doing what you can, and with the hours to suit.

I would recommend it to anyone MC, Outstanding Branding is nearly 3 years old and we now employ 7 members of staff. I have learnt a lot about business in that time. Cash flow / Credit control are key, knowing your market, preparing a business plan to work to and look at regularly, making sure that the areas you arent strong in that you get the best you can afford (For us it was Solicitors and Accountants) or spend some time learning those areas. Get your employment contract checked to see what your present employer contractually restrict you to do or what they think they restrict you doing. Get some mentors, people who you can bounce ideas off, use all the free resource available, i managed to get us to page 1 of google for 3 chosen keywords using free or nearly free tools, thankfully we now pay for someone to do it but its achievable. Plan, Plan, Plan which isnt my strongest point but it has paid handsomely.

Most of all believe in yourself and enjoy it

Any info you want let me know

And they are really fast at quoting.

you would be amazed how many companies big and small don't put the client/customer first. Treat the customer right, and get recommendations.

There are a lot of Rich ****wits out there Naps and it amazes me daily how most of them couldn't give a flying **** about clients!!! You are spot on there is nothing easier than selling to a recommendation. Customer Service in this day and age is also a few points on the GP which in competitive markets make a big difference

where do I start!

Firstly MC - you need to decide whether you want to be self-employed, or run a business. Both require very different skillsets, and you need to decide whether you just want to carry on doing the doing but under your own control, whether you want to run a business doing what you do, or own a business doing what you do.

The requirements and points to be aware of differ for each.

Happy to help where I can, but my experience is more in owning / running rather than being self employed.

Also you can never have too much education at this stage. I'd strongly suggest buying and reading the following from Amazon - might cost you £50 or so, but that is far less than you will lose by doing it unprepared:

The E-myth revisted by Michael gerber
Rich Dad Poor Dad - robert Kiyosaki
The Four Hour Workweek - tim ferriss
Poke the box - Seth Godin

After reading those I'm sure you'll know what direction you want your business to go in - they are all very different books, and will help you understand how you want your life to look and your business to look.

I did it a year ago, and it's fantastic. I have clients in New York, UK and India. The main problem I have is converting leads to sales - I might have a few companies interested, but then nothing happens, or the terms have changed.

Social media is a must. Linkedin has brought me all of my work.

Another huge problem is credit control. Chasing up people for payment is hard work. Now I insist of being paid a proportion up front.

As a freelancer I didn't make any concrete plans; I got lucky with a few contracts then things dropped in when I least expected it. Now I have set up a separate events company, I have had to do a proper business plan with cash flow forecasts, etc.

It's great knowing you're doing what you can, and with the hours to suit.

I would happily help you out on that front!!!! please see my C.V below

RBS Collections/ Debt recovery 00-08
Tessera PLC (Debt Collectors) 08-10
HMS Enforcement LTD (Bailiffs) 10-10
Collections manager for Loans company in Leigh on sea for the last 18months.

Am at the top of my game ask those who know me!

b&s do you work nationwide on commercial debts? Any minimum amount? and do you add your fees onto the debt?

Back