• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Carl Reader Publicly Pulls Out Of Buying SUFC

If your name is Ronald Martin and in your mind, you’re a £5 million loan away from hundreds of millions in profit, setting up your family for generations and satisfying your ego.

You would not be listening to random people saying ‘come on, sit at the table, here’s £20mil now **** off’.

At the same time, you wouldn’t be negotiating with a random consortium to buy you out when you may (or may not) already have a new potential investor around the table already… Who knows what is going on behind closed doors.

Let's stick to fact not fiction. He's not corresponding. No figures quoted

Ron isn’t going to sell up, there is far too much investment in and 20 odd years of work gone into the project for him to suddenly walk away, or even re-coup losses by selling the club cut price.

The end game for me (if we get past the next fortnight) is that once the stadium is built and the additional retail outlets and housing is complete that the club will go on the market once it can challenge in the EFL again, but not the stadium.

He retains ground rent of the stadium and various outlets built on land he owns as a finance stream and tries to recoup the millions invested into the club over the years on its sale.

I do think he cares about the club, but is too far in now to just write it off and things have gone wrong trying to get the stadium up and been a massive drain on finances.

Hopefully I’m right, but I do think come March a payment will be made to HMRC.

The silence is what’s deafening, and the way everything is being handled is just awful, from a PR perspective and current financial perspective for all the staff.

Whether Ron would allow an investor to have a slice of a pie now to bail out the club is anybody’s guess…

…I keep watching Dragons Den in the hope he would pop up one week with his model stadium

Last edited:
Why can’t we have an prospective owner who just wants a club and stadium. Sorry but if you want to build property off the back of owning a football club you are no better than the current owner. Thank goodness enough young fans have their eyes wide open to sharks.

Why can’t we have an prospective owner who just wants a club and stadium. Sorry but if you want to build property off the back of owning a football club you are no better than the current owner. Thank goodness enough young fans have their eyes wide open to sharks.
I'm not sure there would be any businessmen out there that would relish the chance to buy a football club and stadium that is millions of pounds in debt with no opportunity to recover the costs of the investment. Obviously, I may be wrong, and there is a benefactor that would do just that, but I really doubt it. As for the young fans, they are doing their absolute best to get Ron to move on, but I'm also not aware of what they see the other side. Do you have any further info on that front?

I'm not sure there would be any businessmen out there that would relish the chance to buy a football club and stadium that is millions of pounds in debt with no opportunity to recover the costs of the investment. Obviously, I may be wrong, and there is a benefactor that would do just that, but I really doubt it. As for the young fans, they are doing their absolute best to get Ron to move on, but I'm also not aware of what they see the other side. Do you have any further info on that front?
Huh? Whoever buys the club after and if rons finishes his property expedition wIll be just that. There’s a debt free club on offer with the revenue opportunities we’ve all been promised.

Or are you hoping for somebody who wants to create another empire on the back of the Club?

The young fans are right to be angry and if Ron moves on before the completion of the property dream whoever seeks to complete it will be under rightful similar scrutiny.

Huh? Whoever buys the club after and if rons finishes his property expedition wIll be just that. There’s a debt free club on offer with the revenue opportunities we’ve all been promised.

Or are you hoping for somebody who wants to create another empire on the back of the Club?

The young fans are right to be angry and if Ron moves on before the completion of the property dream whoever seeks to complete it will be under rightful similar scrutiny.
Your original post did not make it clear you meant after the new stadium was built, so I posed my question based on it being before.

As for your second sentence, no need for the sarcasm as my post asked questions looking for clarity.

All fans have a right to be angry, not just the young ones and the scrutiny will come from all, not just youngsters.

Why can’t we have a prospective owner who just wants a club and stadium. Sorry but if you want to build property off the back of owning a football club you are no better than the current owner. Thank goodness enough young fans have their eyes wide open to sharks.
Your original post did not make it clear you meant after the new stadium was built, so I posed my question based on it being before.

As for your second sentence, no need for the sarcasm as my post asked questions looking for clarity.

All fans have a right to be angry, not just the young ones and the scrutiny will come from all, not just youngsters.
Kids today eh?

I don't think there's a debt free club on offer right now - and therein lies the issue

The 2nd sentence is " Whoever buys the club after and if rons finishes his property expedition wIll be just that."

(The first sentence is "Huh?")

(I know, I have OCD!)

Back