• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Carl Reader (Seventy7 Ventures) - Want to acquire the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m envious. You must be very successful to see that accomplishment as something to sneer at.
Hmm, resorting to sarcasm, eh? Well, I know enough of NLS/N clubs (and below) to know how they operate and the type of folk who run them / in key roles…..does that count?

As he has found selling the club now is not even a discussion. Once the stadium is finished the attraction of the club will be maximised to potential purchasers. If Carl has the required funding he will be one of a few potential buyers I’m sure.

Right now it’s a non starter, and discussions about a sale earlier with a single party expressing an interest, simply won’t happen.

1) Can this bloke really realistically afford to buy us and, more importantly, run us month to month with our massive losses (which most clubs have)?

2)If he was buying the club would he be doing it as part of a consortium or on his own?

If the answer to 1 is a resounding yes then it would be an interesting thing to watch develop.

From the comments no one seems to be answering the above questions and I fear the usual Ron out fans would take anything that come their way just to see Ron gone rather than what is right for the club. Like it or not Ron has kept the club going albeit very close to the edge at times but I wouldn’t want the next person to come in to be someone who would run the club similarly because they don’t have instant access to the funds needed on a monthly basis and over the quieter summer period.

I still believe that Ron won’t sell until this whole project is completed and I think most people in his shoes would do exactly the same thing.

1) Can this bloke really realistically afford to buy us and, more importantly, run us month to month with our massive losses (which most clubs have)?

2)If he was buying the club would he be doing it as part of a consortium or on his own?

If the answer to 1 is a resounding yes then it would be an interesting thing to watch develop.

From the comments no one seems to be answering the above questions and I fear the usual Ron out fans would take anything that come their way just to see Ron gone rather than what is right for the club. Like it or not Ron has kept the club going albeit very close to the edge at times but I wouldn’t want the next person to come in to be someone who would run the club similarly because they don’t have instant access to the funds needed on a monthly basis and over the quieter summer period.

I still believe that Ron won’t sell until this whole project is completed and I think most people in his shoes would do exactly the same thing.

Q & A Thread (right below this one)

Further to this Seventy7 Ventures seems like a fairly new company looking at Companies House with little information. What else has he been involved in?

For years most fans on here and other forums across social media have been sick to death of Ron Martin and the absolute mess he has made of running our club.

3 transfer embargo’s in one year
Staff and players not paid
Winding up orders
A tax fraud case against the owner
Back to back relegations
Our worst position since the football club was started.
Worst reputation in English football with many clubs refusing to deal with us.

And yet now a lifelong genuine fan like Carl and his backers want to buy the club and yet some of you just want to mock the guy, what a disgrace!!

Do you really think he would have gone public if he hadn’t done his research and genuinely had the funding and backing in place? As a fan himself he would look pretty stupid if not wouldn’t he.

He tried to do the decent thing and approach Ron in private but had no response, so how else is he going to get heard and supported?

If some of you fans are happy to let Ron continue to send the club under then don’t come crying when things get even worse.
Well done Carl, every genuine fan is behind you, ignore the minority idiots on here who haven’t got a clue!

I'm sure he'll appreciate there'll be some fans that'll support him from the go, some fans that will be against him whatever he says and, probably the majority, who will sit on the fence until they find out more about his proposal.

Some of my questions could be interpreted as 'hostile' but I'm very open minded on this - im sure Ron will sell the whole development for the 'right' price or just the club once the stadium is built. But he shouldn't just sell to anyone - and at that moment, that's all Carl is to me

Let's put this into a bit of perspective shall we. Someone that is undoubtedly a fan is disgruntled with the downfall of the club and the shocking treatment of players and staff alike for far too many years. They have an outline plan for which we have few details.

On the other side of that we have RM. Whether he has and continues to run close to the wire and whether he has trodden a very fine line between disrepute, points deductions or much worse doesn't need debating.

After all these years of financial juggling a return on his investment is now within sniffing distance. The Club now has a management structure and CEO etc, the likes of which we have never seen before and is more than comparable to clubs two divisions higher than we are now.

Short of a mind-blowing offer RM is going nowhere. Russian oligarchs are out of the picture so unless an oil magnate or US franchise steps in nothing will change as far as I'm concerned.

There's one big caveat to the above. Bringing the undisclosed offer into the public domain MAY engineer interest from other investors. With building work starting and planning approvals complete and with the proposed income flows there may just be enough to attract something decent.

Getting rid of RM is attractive for many reasons. Getting over excited at anything else at this stage is highly speculative

For years most fans on here and other forums across social media have been sick to death of Ron Martin and the absolute mess he has made of running our club.

Winding up orders
Back to back relegations

And yet now a lifelong genuine fan like Carl and his backers want to buy the club and yet some of you just want to mock the guy, what a disgrace!!

Do you really think he would have gone public if he hadn’t done his research and genuinely had the funding and backing in place? As a fan himself he would look pretty stupid if not wouldn’t he.

He tried to do the decent thing and approach Ron in private but had no response, so how else is he going to get heard and supported?

If some of you fans are happy to let Ron continue to send the club under then don’t come crying when things get even worse.
Well done Carl, every genuine fan is behind you, ignore the minority idiots on here who haven’t got a clue!
I think you’re reading peoples concerns wrong! People would love nothing more than to see someone take over from Ron especially a fan. The fact is though there has been one social media post but nothing else to back it up. And as Carl answers the Q&A thread questions I’m sure it will put those ‘mocking’ him at ease.

Obviously a lot of people on here know Carl from his time on the Zone and personally and they will be biased towards him. The same questions and scepticism would be afforded to any backer that comes out from nowhere with one single social media post saying they want to buy the club.

Just because some aren’t getting all kiddy over it and questioning Carl doesn’t mean they’re team Ron and want Ron to stay. Lots of other clubs have wanted their chairman out, got a new lot in and it’s put them in a worse position. Look at Orient when the Italian took over. And before you say it I am not comparing Carl and the Italian lot.

Once the Q&A thread gets going and lots of questions get answered I’m sure more people will be onboard. At the moment those who don’t know Carl or anything about him are going to be sceptical and just because you like him you have to accept that.

Winding up orders
Back to back relegations

I personally don't blame people for being sceptical. We've been burned before. When RM took over from Vic, for example.

Just because someone is a fan, and has the backing, doesn't make them fit for purpose. As much as I'd like Ron gone, I don't want to be having the same arguments in a few year's time.

On the face of it this is exciting, but there are 100s of questions that will need answering.

Winding up orders
Back to back relegations

ShrimperZone is a broad church which welcomes views and opinions from all sides. The fact that some are questioning where Carl is coming from does not mean they are not genuine supporters, it means they care enough about the club to ask. Keep making the case for new ownership, yes please, but let's see where this is going before prodding those you don't agree with.

There's plenty on this thread. Carl is a successful entrepreneur and author as well as being a passionate Southend United fan. I wouldn't say he is a close friend but he is a friend and a good honest bloke.
Just out of interest he obviously had success with ventures, but how many have failed ?

Be superman effort, if its none, in today topsy- turvey world of financial/businesses
I had the( dis) pleasure of working close with Robert Maxwell in the day and you knew, not all he held was the golden goose egg

Not saying this guy is Maxwell, but sometimes if it looks good then it not all what it seems.

Two books and a motivation speaker, doesn't inspire me, but hope I'm wrong and he gets a chance, but with RM so close it will come at a huge price

Carl is a top man. I've known him for about 20 years and he has enjoyed tremendous personal success through accounting/franchising.. He was involved at board level at Hungerford for a while as well. He's very well connected and if he says he has funding secured, I for one have no doubt that to be accurate.

Unfortunately this will likely end up going nowhere, still good to see that people remain interested in the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back