• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Carling Cup 2004/05

Javea Shrimper

The draw for the First Round of the Carling Cup takes place on Thursday 8 July.

Who do we fancy?

Col Ewe might be a good little early round money-spinner ...

WS

Sods law,it will be a crowd puller,as Im off on my hols that week.

Cann't remember the last time we had a good run in this cup,perhaps this will be the year
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Would love a big draw Brighton,Col Utd at home,alternatively Plymouth,Exeter,Torquay away (Selfish git) as Im in Bude at that time,and the missus may let me go,if I give her the credit card for shopping in the morning
biggrin.gif

Here's the list, chaps.Potentially some very interesting ties.....

Seeded Teams              Un-Seeded Teams
1. Ipswich                    17. Brentford
2. West Ham                 18. Peterborough
3. Reading                    19. Rushden
4. Coventry                   20. Wycombe
5. Cardiff                      21. Torquay
6. Watford                    22. Northampton
7. Gillingham                  23. Yeovil
8. MK Dons                    24. Oxford
9. Plymouth                   25. Swansea
10. QPR                        26. Boston
11. Brighton                   27. Cambridge
12. Bristol City               28. Cheltenham
13. Swindon                   29. Bristol Rovers
14. Bournemouth             30. Kidderminster
15. Luton                       31. Southend
16. Colchester                32. Leyton Orient

Didn't realise there was a seeding format this year. I take it then that we must be drawn against a seeded side?

rock.gif

If so Ipswich or West Ham would be nice. Knowing our luck in this competition though, we'll probably get Cardiff away...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ July 07 2004,12:14)]Here's the list, chaps.Potentially some very interesting ties.....

QPR [at home] sounds good
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

The draw, involving 70 of the 72 clubs, is divided into northern and southern sections - with half the teams seeded.

As the highest-placed of the three teams relegated from the Premiership, Leicester have a bye until round two when most top-flight teams enter.

Meanwhile, Uefa Cup entrants Millwall will join in round three, together with the other teams competing in Europe.

Defending champions Middlesbrough, who gained a Uefa Cup place by winning last season's final, are among the third round entrants.

THE DRAW
Each seeded team will play an unseeded team from their regional section.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 07 2004,12:59)]The draw, involving 70 of the 72 clubs, is divided into northern and southern sections - with half the teams seeded.

As the highest-placed of the three teams relegated from the Premiership, Leicester have a bye until round two when most top-flight teams enter.

Meanwhile, Uefa Cup entrants Millwall will join in round three, together with the other teams competing in Europe.

Defending champions Middlesbrough, who gained a Uefa Cup place by winning last season's final, are among the third round entrants.

THE DRAW
Is this the LDV Vans Trophy in disguise?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ July 07 2004,13:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 07 2004,12:59)]The draw, involving 70 of the 72 clubs, is divided into northern and southern sections - with half the teams seeded.

THE DRAW
Is this the LDV Vans Trophy in disguise?  
rock.gif
it does seem that way, does'nt it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ July 03 2004,08:20)]Col Ewe might be a good little early round money-spinner ...

WS
I may be on my own in this view but i disagree, I don't think that playing Colchester will be as big crowd puller, it certainly won't be 9,000 down the Hall i could see it being more like 5,000 if we was too draw them at home, as this is the first round of a competition where as before it was a Semi-Final...

wow.gif
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ July 07 2004,15:07)]Swindon away again?!

Kev

sad.gif
But we were playing at home last season, Kev. We lost 2-3 ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ July 07 2004,12:14)]Here's the list, chaps.Potentially some very interesting ties.....

Which team from those seaded is the closest to our ground? (should be easy
rock.gif
)
wow.gif

Sorry, i cannot accept answers on a post-card guys!!!
biggrin.gif

is anyone else not seeing this new system as a little unfair to the smaller clubs?
i know its based on last season league postions, but a good cup run for a club like ours can give us great financial help.
With this new system it just seems like a way to get the bigger clubs through to the next round a little easier.

Although as we usually go out in the 1st round of the league cup i suppose for us it doesn't matter.

but i will stick a pin in and reckon we'll get Watford at home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kim Mitten @ July 07 2004,18:38)]is anyone else not seeing this new system as a little unfair to the smaller clubs?
i know its based on last season league postions, but a good cup run for a club like ours can give us great financial help.
With this new system it just seems like a way to get the bigger clubs through to the next round a little easier.

Although as we usually go out in the 1st round of the league cup i suppose for us it doesn't matter.

but i will stick a pin in and reckon we'll get Watford at home.
There is of course the usual pro's & con's here.

IMHO, many lower league teams play their best football against tougher opponents and SUFC are no exception. I guess you don't need any reminding of how we got to the LDV Vans National Final!?

However, I am sure that if we drew Luton, QPR or Colchester in the first round, they would be well aware of our thread and provide us with a lesson in football.

How do we defeat the League Cup hoo-doo... No Idea!!!
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 07 2004,12:59)]Meanwhile, Uefa Cup entrants Millwall
That'll take some getting used to...

Back