• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Carling Cup - Big teams rest star players?

I'm really looking forward to the draw on saturday but I was just thinking, if we got Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool would they play a strong team or would they rest alot of players and play youth teamers?

If this is the case then id rather we got a team like Aston Villa who at least take he competition seriously and dont rest key players.

Chelsea reserves would still be big names

Man U and Arsenal would field reserves/youth teamers and players coming back from injury as they have done in the past

The Emirates is a great stadium though, would be amazing

I think the Carling Cup has had a bit of a resurrection in the last couple of years. Even Man Utd take it more seriously now that they know that the chances are that Chelsea will win everything else.

What ever else you can say about Chelsea, they send out a top line-up in every game no matter who they are playing.

i think you will still see stars and decent players. quite right that teams do seem to be giving it more respect. even if the starting 11 is weaker, no doubt they will have a bench full of first team players ready to try and get them out of trouble!

Arsenal would indeed send out the reserves so if we get them its got to be away as playing arsenal reserves at home wouldnt be that attractive.

Id love to see Southend at the emirates though, and Arsenal do have some decent youngsters.

Arsenal should still sell out Emirates even if its their 2nd team against us, and I assume we get a nice slice of 60,000 tickets.

Hey! We will only start taking this competition seriously once we get to the quarter finals! Tilly will just 'experiment ' till then, when a place in europe is at stake!!

the Arsenal point of view is that it gives them a chance to give younger players competitive football. So rather than view it as reserves, it should be seen as team of the future.
Playing Southend for example in a competitive Cup Tie is far better experience for them than playing reserve matches.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Sep. 21 2006,23:05)]Arsenal should still sell out Emirates even if its their 2nd team against us, and I assume we get a nice slice of 60,000 tickets.
About 25% I believe, or around 15,000 tickets!!..

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Sep. 22 2006,08:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Sep. 21 2006,23:05)]Arsenal should still sell out Emirates even if its their 2nd team against us, and I assume we get a nice slice of 60,000 tickets.

smile.gif
Surely it is closer to 50%? Is it not 50/50 in the FA Cup these days?

At only 15,000 tickets we would not actually be that much better off in my opinion. Arsenal would quite possibly reduce their ticket prices drastically and I would be quite surprised if they got a full house against us as well. I'll be sticking with the the opinion that it is best for us to keep home advantage as far more chance of progressing to the 4th round...!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Sep. 22 2006,09:09)]
[b said:
[b said:

smile.gif
Surely it is closer to 50%?  Is it not 50/50 in the FA Cup these days?

At only 15,000 tickets we would not actually be that much better off in my opinion.  Arsenal would quite possibly reduce their ticket prices drastically and I would be quite surprised if they got a full house against us as well.  I'll be sticking with the the opinion that it is best for us to keep home advantage as far more chance of progressing to the 4th round...!!
I partly agree with Einstein. I would prefer:-

a) A home game against a lesser team, or
B) A lower level Prem club that would show us a bit of respect

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Sep. 22 2006,10:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Sep. 22 2006,09:09)]
[b said:
[b said:

smile.gif
Surely it is closer to 50%?  Is it not 50/50 in the FA Cup these days?

At only 15,000 tickets we would not actually be that much better off in my opinion.  Arsenal would quite possibly reduce their ticket prices drastically and I would be quite surprised if they got a full house against us as well.  I'll be sticking with the the opinion that it is best for us to keep home advantage as far more chance of progressing to the 4th round...!!
I partly agree with Einstein. I would prefer:-

a) A home game against a lesser team, or
B) A lower level Prem club that would show us a bit of respect
I'd prefer a place in the next round to "respect" !

The team I want to see play in the next round is Southend.

You lot seem far too interested in the opposition.

I think people are talking at crossed purposes here.

I think the away side are entitled to...

12.5% of tickets
50% of gate receipts

Happy to be proved wrong if someone can say for definate

I seem to recall that the rules for ticket allocation for FA Cup ties are different to the rules for ticket allocations for league games.

I think the League Cup is administered by the Football League, whilst the FA Cup is administered by the FA, so there could well be different rules.

As I obviously haven't got anything better to do with my lunchtime....

For 2005/06 the League Cup worked like this:

The visiting club is entitled to 15% of tickets.

Gate receipts after expenses (incl travelling expenses) are split 45:45 between the clubs. The remaining 10% is put into a further pot which is split 50:50 between the Football League clubs and the Premier$hite clubs

For the FA Cup, the rules are more complicated. The away allocation is again 15%, but the way the money gets split depends on what stage of the competition and whether it is a non-league club or not. For a third round game we'd get 45% of the net gate receipts, for a 3rd replay we'd get 42.5% with money going into various pools. For a 1st round game we'd have got 47.5%.

Well played HKB.

So IF and a big IF we draw Arsenal at The Emirates...

We will get around an 9,000 allocation and would pocket a good 500k I reckon (based on there being at least 40,000 paying customer's)

Bring em on!

smile.gif

Back