• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Carling Cup draw

Mick

Life President
The Carling Cup draw will be held at 9.30am on Wednesday with Southend, unsurprisingly, amongst the unseeded clubs in the southern section.

Burnley and Hull City, as the clubs involved in round one highest placed in last year’s league tables, have been handed a bye to round two.

Carling Cup – Round One

South - Seeded
1. Portsmouth
2. Cardiff City
3. Swansea City
4. Reading
5. Bristol City
6. Queens Park Rangers
7. Ipswich Town
8. Watford
9. Crystal Palace
10. Norwich City
11. Millwall
12. Plymouth Argyle
13. Charlton Athletic
14. Swindon Town
15. Southampton
16. Colchester United
17. Brentford
18. Bristol Rovers
19. Milton Keynes Dons
20. Brighton & Hove Albion

South - Unseeded
1. Yeovil Town
2. Leyton Orient
3. Exeter City
4. Notts County
5. AFC Bournemouth
6. Dagenham & Redbridge
7. Gillingham
8. Wycombe Wanderers
9. Southend United
10. Aldershot Town
11. Port Vale
12. Northampton Town
13. Shrewsbury Town
14. Burton Albion
15. Hereford United
16. Torquay United
17. Barnet
18. Cheltenham Town
19. Stevenage
20. Oxford United

This makes Plymouth and Swansea the furthest possible journeys and Colchester, Charlton and Millwall the nearest away.

Don't bother with the draw, just match the numbers up and we can have a bankrupts' convention with Palace.

Sorry, I care more about actually having a team to compete next season.

Why? By and large it means you won't play a team from the same division and makes it, for me, more interesting.

Would you like it if they seeded the FA Cup?

Also don't they seed the round that the Premiership teams enter so that they don't play each other?

Also don't they seed the round that the Premiership teams enter so that they don't play each other?

No, the FA Cup has been going well over 130 years and is the oldest football competition in the World and over 750 teams enter. Its format is just fine and I see no need to introduce seedings; indeed, that has been part of the appeal of that competition.

That does not mean to say every other knockout competition has to follow that format.

The League Cup is nothing like the FA Cup in history or status and to not seed it because the FA Cup isn't seeded is an irrelevance. There are replays in the FA Cup but not the League Cup; are you happy with that being different?

In answer to your question (even though you didn't answer mine;)), the second round was seeded last year so I expect it will be again.

No I wouldnt like the FA Cup to be seeded BUT until quite recently i believe that the first two rounds were regionalised into North and South...

Back