• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Help please for any useful hints.

No. 1 Junior Suffolk Shrimper and me are going to travel up to the Lake District the day before and camp there, returning back to Suffolk on Sunday. On the 'permission slip' for getting the prodigal off school for a day I sold it on the idea of it being an educational trip.

Thought we'd make a 'father and son' weekend of it, what with it being mid April so its bound to be good weather. Not really used to this camping lark, but got a tent and a camp stove from Argos today so sorted in part.

Anyway, ideal spot to camp would be:

- not too far from Carlisle but still in Lake District
- on a site with excellent 'tourist Lake District-type' views
- the camp site to have some decent washroom facilities but no hi di hi club necessary
- and be close to an excellent country pub with a wide selection of real ale (Junior Suffolk Shrimper can watch me drink), maybe with a spot of live music
- somewhere to pitch our SUFC flag
-maybe some fellow Shrimpers on site too to celebrate our success with in the eves over a few jars

Also on the list of requirements are:

- excellent weather
- no traffic queues on way up or back
- a 5-0 win for us

So, anyone got any ideas of a suitable camp site, tips forstaying up in that area, or anything else you think we might find helpful?

Cheers,

Suffolk Shrimper

Why not check out the National Trust place in the Langdale valley? I stayed there with some friends last September and we had a great time. There are a few pubs dotted along the valley and one that's about 10 minutes' walk from the campsite itself. I'm not too sure exactly how far away it is from Carlisle (it's not too far from Lake Windermere so you could probably find somewhere a bit closer) but in terms of campsites, it's one of the best that you'll find in the Lake District with superb views and decent facilities.

Hope you enjoy yourself whatever you decide to do!

Oh yes, I forgot. Expect the unexpected from the Lake District weather. My mate's heavy duty tent was half blown down one day when we were up in the mountains walking and on the last day, we were on the verge of having to swim to the car because there had been so much rain and the rivers surrounding the site were bursting their banks!

For your perusal i've submitted a map of the lake district:-

lakesmap.jpg

Personally the 2 times I've stayed in the lake district I've used Ambleside as a base (in a hotel and NOT under canvas) and spent the time between Windermere and Kendal.

Its rather southerly to Carlisle itself but I think its worth the journey (about an hour away). i have however heard that the Keswick area is rather spectacular aswell and thats not so far from Carlisle.

By the way I've got my fingers crossed for good weather for you as it can be beastly up there, here's hoping for no more snow.

Here's a link to some good hotels in the area:-
http://www.hotelsofthelakes.com/ambleside.htm

Last edited:
Help please for any useful hints.

No. 1 Junior Suffolk Shrimper and me are going to travel up to the Lake District the day before and camp there, returning back to Suffolk on Sunday. On the 'permission slip' for getting the prodigal off school for a day I sold it on the idea of it being an educational trip.

Thought we'd make a 'father and son' weekend of it, what with it being mid April so its bound to be good weather. Not really used to this camping lark, but got a tent and a camp stove from Argos today so sorted in part.

Anyway, ideal spot to camp would be:

- not too far from Carlisle but still in Lake District
- on a site with excellent 'tourist Lake District-type' views
- the camp site to have some decent washroom facilities but no hi di hi club necessary
- and be close to an excellent country pub with a wide selection of real ale (Junior Suffolk Shrimper can watch me drink), maybe with a spot of live music
- somewhere to pitch our SUFC flag
-maybe some fellow Shrimpers on site too to celebrate our success with in the eves over a few jars

Also on the list of requirements are:

- excellent weather
- no traffic queues on way up or back
- a 5-0 win for us

So, anyone got any ideas of a suitable camp site, tips forstaying up in that area, or anything else you think we might find helpful?

Cheers,

Suffolk Shrimper

not really asking for a lot are you. :stunned:

Andy

I understand the delightful little town of Barrow-in-Furness might meet all of your criteria; it'll probably exceed the percentage per capita of ASBOs that you might have expected from such a quiet area too.

Glad to have been of help
Andy
:)

You can always pop across the border into Scotland and stay in Gretna, plenty of camp sites there. Its a strange place wherethe locals don't seem to know if they are English or Scottish.

Have you considered the YHA ? At least that way you can be assured of a nice(ish) warm(ish) bed and a roof over your head, looking at the weather it can still be rather chilly and its expected to go as low as freezing on monday tuesday and wednesday nights

Barbour jacket. It's literally saved many peoples lives in extreme conditions of weather and of course your wellies [in case of lightening strikes] + a wind up torch.

Who could say SUFC supporters are not intrepid ?

See you there [at ground that is]

Maybe camping is the future, I hadnt considered it.

I think I may well be up for slinging a tent, some super noodles, an old camping stove and 12 bottles of Speckled hen into the boot of the car.

Sounds like a party waiting to happen. I may have to think about this more............

THanks folks for all the suggestions etc............think I will steer clear of your ASBO relatives in Barrow Andy.

Genial, your suggestion does look good, may well see you there? What info have you got on the pub?

Defiler, you thinking of it too?

Cheers,

Suffolk Shrimper

Sleep in the car in Southwaite Service area, use the truckers shower facilities, and breakfast in th4e Little Thief, invest the money saved in camping gear and site fees in new shirts next season for the pair of you.

Back