• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Carlisle United vs Southend United 19th September 2020 13:00hrs ko FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
1599982883171.png

I know it's only Sunday but after yesterday's performance and the outpourings on here I had two choices, depress myself even more reading the comments or post up the next pre-match thread, the pre-match won the day!

So we're away to Carlisle who got dicked 0-3 at Cambridge yesterday so their fans will be just as miserable as us this morning. They say tomorrow is another day, but in our case next Saturday is another day, and another chance to do something positive this time round. Hopefully our senior players will be available to provide that sorely missed experience of yesterday. And you never know a new player may join the squad this week. I live in hope.

If any Carlisle fans are looking in on this thread, why not join in the debate, you're all welcome.

I'm not yet sure, but it looks as if iFollow won't be available to UK supporters, or if it is, you've got to pay for it. Failing that, it's good old BBC Essex or down the pub I guess.

So, normal stuff for a pre-match thread and off you go, and happy moaning!

As I mentioned in the post-match thread I think MM needs to scrap the rigid 4-4-2 next week.

As bad as Ox was I'd keep him in for now. If, in a best case scenario our injured/more experienced players return, I'd go for:

Ox

Elvis White Hobson Ralph​

Gard Dieng​
Demi Hutch Green

Kelman​

A bit more flexible and solid with the ability to counter-attack.

I’d agree with the sentiment of not playing 442.

It’s a recipe for disaster at this level and it gives us zero chance of getting our best players on the pitch at any one time.

CMs are outnumbered and chasing their tails as both wide players are out and out wingers. The forward pairing is dire and both players have no idea on whether they’re a 10 or a 9 and neither have the desire or pace to run in behind and be a constant threat.

Id go with :-

Oxley

Elvis. White. Hobson. Ralph.

Demetriou. Dieng.

Goodship. Hutchinson. Green.

Kelman.

Kelman needs to pull his finger out. He looks like someone who believes his own publicity.

I can see why Bond felt Goodship was more productive off the wings and he’d start over Egbri for me on physicality alone.

Demetriou and Dieng should offer us a bit more protection to allow Hutchinson to play further up the pitch

I’d agree with the sentiment of not playing 442.

It’s a recipe for disaster at this level and it gives us zero chance of getting our best players on the pitch at any one time.

CMs are outnumbered and chasing their tails as both wide players are out and out wingers. The forward pairing is dire and both players have no idea on whether they’re a 10 or a 9 and neither have the desire or pace to run in behind and be a constant threat.

Id go with :-

Oxley

Elvis. White. Hobson. Ralph.

Demetriou. Dieng.

Goodship. Hutchinson. Green.

Kelman.

Kelman needs to pull his finger out. He looks like someone who believes his own publicity.

I can see why Bond felt Goodship was more productive off the wings and he’d start over Egbri for me on physicality alone.

Demetriou and Dieng should offer us a bit more protection to allow Hutchinson to play further up the pitch

More charitably I'd suggest Kelman looks short of match sharpness and like he needs a couple more games of pre-season.

I agree on not playing Goodship down the middle but I'd actually pick Egbri over him as I believe the 4 foot 2 teenager is actually more physical than Goodship, whose attributes still elude me. The best thing about yesterday is that we won't have to put up with the nonsense about 'he hasn't been given a chance in his natural position' any more.

Can’t play 2 in midfield of Hutchinson and Gard. It needs either Demi or Deing sat behind offering some kind of shield

Oxley
Elvis. White Hobson Ralph
Egbri Hutchinson Dieng Demetriou Green
Kelman

Assuming no incoming with prep involving watching the Bristol Rovers game end of last season

I'm just hoping for some positive new on Wednesday and hopefully a couple of new faces to freshen up the squad.

I know MM has been dealt a tough hand, but a couple of things surprised me about his selection against Harrogate. I was surprised he did not use Miles Mitchell-Nelson as a defensive midfielder in front of the back fours. He has height, a reasonable amount of skill, and played quite well in that role on a couple of occasions last season. In addition, Emile Acquah is a promising tall striker whose physical presence can creates problems for defences and openings for the likes of Kelman. Maybe Acquah has not signed up yet?

After possibly the most difficult opening day fixture we could have been faced with we now have the longest journey of the year up to the Scottish border. However, Carlisle's start to the season has been as bad as ours - they have even conceded more goals in their opening three fixtures. So we could hardly have a better chance of achieving a positive result. We better had because we face Morecambe next and they have beaten us 9 times out of the 10 times we have played them in the league...

Hoping the injured lads are back as we desperately need some experience. Assuming they are and we don’t sign anyone between now and Saturday, I would also go with a 451/4231.

Oxley
Elvis, White, Hobson, Ralph
Demetriou, Dieng
Green, Hutchinson, Goodship
Kelman​

I think that would bolster the midfield and allow Isaac to get forward without him needing to worry about tracking back. He really can’t defend, so makes sense to have him pushing up alongside Kelman as a second striker with Goodship cutting in on his stronger foot.

I would happily take a 0-0 away from home to get some points on the board and steady the ship after Harrogate.

sticking with 442 as that appears to be the preferred formation, if everyone is fit I suggest this:

Oxley
Elvis, White, Lennon, Ralph
Demetriou, Dieng, Hutchinson, Green
Goodship, Kelman​

That's an experienced back four, with two experienced midfielders...

Back