• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Carlisle United vs Southend United 19th September 2020 13:00hrs ko FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I mean, they didn't really help the situation!

Goal 1 - Hutch nowhere near his man. Gard is not even in the picture
View attachment 12882

Goal 2 - So much space 25 yards out dead centre of goal
View attachment 12883

I'm not saying they are terrible players, but as a pairing they were dragged far to out of position with neither seemingly being alive to the danger...

Goal 1 - Richard Taylor is also only just in picture and if Elvis gets dragged inside Terrel should be closer and he’s nowhere to be seen either, especially as The guy who scored was their left midfielder! The oppositions two CMs are actually edge of box.

Goal 2 - Hutchinson had made the initial clearance, was he meant to get out and close the shot too?

Let’s leave last week where it is. My point was it was made to read like Gard and Hutchinson were to blame when let’s be honest there were many many...many reasons why we lost 4-0!

McCormack may be fit to start - he's been training with Northampton during pre-season.

Goal 1 - Richard Taylor is also only just in picture and if Elvis gets dragged inside Terrel should be closer and he’s nowhere to be seen either, especially as The guy who scored was their left midfielder! The oppositions two CMs are actually edge of box.

Goal 2 - Hutchinson had made the initial clearance, was he meant to get out and close the shot too?

Let’s leave last week where it is. My point was it was made to read like Gard and Hutchinson were to blame when let’s be honest there were many many...many reasons why we lost 4-0!
The point is that they are an awful CM partnership in a 4-4-2 and leave us completely exposed. That doesn’t mean they’re the only reason we lost last week, or were at fault for all 4 goals.

Oxley (probably) isn’t going to throw 2 goals away every week, Hobson won’t make that mistake again, and Elvis has proven he can play to a good standard at L1 level so is definitely capable of performing in L2. But Gard and Hutchinson will still, and always will be, a weak partnership in MM’s choice of formation due to their style of play and inexperience.

I would agree but then you said “will always be” and I don’t agree with that. I think potentially it’s a partnership that works if they both do what they’re good at. But on Saturday Gard was trying to get forward and Hutchinson was trying to hold and both struggled with it.

MM had little or no choice on a CM partnership other than that.

The problem was compounded when they were flanked by two wide players who aren’t at home unless hugging the touchline, offensively and defensively. Green also had his hands full with a full back who overlapped at every opportunity. No one in midfield was helped by the front two making no real effort to put any pressure on their back four or retaining possession even by winning the odd free kick or throw in further up the pitch.

Like I say maybe last weeks game should be left in the past? Especially on this weeks pre match thread ??

3 - 0 to the Shrimpers - Kelman hat trick .. from 3 Elvis assists ..bliss

our promotion charge starts tomorrow

MM tells the boys -

"this psycho Mac bloke is after my job - you have to win otherwise he'll be picking the team and Matt Harrold and Nicky Bailey will be playing"

I'll go for
Oxley
Elvis *White* Hobson Ralph
*Demi* Macca *Dieng* Green
Hutch
Kelman

This is best case scenario of course, with White, Demi and Dieng doubtful. Unless MM is playing mind games, Akinola isn't fit enough yet but could be very useful as a sub when the game becomes stretched.

Carlisle have similar injury worries to us. Their influential centre half Aaron Hayden and their first choice goalkeeper Dean Furman (hamstring) face fitness checks ahead of the game. Midfielders Brennan Dickenson and Josh Dixon are definitely out.

We can all relax, my mrs (who would struggle to identify a football from a basketball) dreamt last night that Southend won 1-4 this weekend, apparently with me praising "the young lad up front" for scoring a hat trick.

Now all that is left to do is sit back and watch that dream manifest itself on Ifollow
475/1 on Bet365... Got to be worth £1!

Are away games on ifollow?

It would appear they are, as it is showing as available to purchase under my account. I'm a bit undecided as to whether I'm going to bother, as I assume my £10 will got Carlisle?

It would appear they are, as it is showing as available to purchase under my account. I'm a bit undecided as to whether I'm going to bother, as I assume my £10 will got Carlisle?
I thought I read somewhere 50/50?

My guess is same team as last week, with Macca coming in for either Gard or Hutch in the middle. Probably Gard

My guess is same team as last week, with Macca coming in for either Gard or Hutch in the middle. Probably Gard
Would have to be Gard out, Macca in IMO. Gard didn't have a great game against Harrogate and looked out of the picture at times.

Absolutely gutted am I. (Heavy sigh).

I have just travelled south past Lockerbie and Gretna before passing Carlisle on a lovely (if breezy) September's day.

Any other year and I would be staying overnight and then seeing "the boys" at Brunton Park.

(Another heavy sigh).

F***ing Covid-19.

Stay alert. Stay safe.

Anyone know what their nickname is? Carlisle United that is.

Last time I was there we (the Southend fans) were kept behind whilst some rather childish and tiresome Carlisle fans (well, idiots really) waited around after the game for us to leave. They (Carlisle) were in relegation trouble and I think the fans were revolting.

That might have been the same match where no-one would pass to Laurent (playing as a winger) for some reason - or perhaps I am mixing things up.

Anyone know what their nickname is? Carlisle United that is.

Last time I was there we (the Southend fans) were kept behind whilst some rather childish and tiresome Carlisle fans (well, idiots really) waited around after the game for us to leave. They (Carlisle) were in relegation trouble and I think the fans were revolting.

That might have been the same match where no-one would pass to Laurent (playing as a winger) for some reason - or perhaps I am mixing things up.
I think it's either The Blues or The Cumbrians Rattus

Back