• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Carlisle United vs Southend United 19th September 2020 13:00hrs ko FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know that it is NOT going to happen but Southend could make history today......

Southend have the opportunity to do a thing that no other football team have done in the 148 years history of football......

If Southend were to win 8-0 or even 9-1 today at Carlisle, they would be the only team ever to go from BOTTOM in the league to TOP in the league with ONE football match.

Mathematically, it is impossible for a team to go from bottom to top in a league with just ONE match, but the unique circumstances that Southend find themselves in, it is possible today, if Southend win 8-0/9-1.

So let's make history?

I know realistically that we are more likely to make history by being the first team to lose 20-0 in a League 2 football match, but we can always hope?

Thanks for this information mate? just chucked a score on us to win 8-0

I know that it is NOT going to happen but Southend could make history today......

Southend have the opportunity to do a thing that no other football team have done in the 148 years history of football......

If Southend were to win 8-0 or even 9-1 today at Carlisle, they would be the only team ever to go from BOTTOM in the league to TOP in the league with ONE football match.

Mathematically, it is impossible for a team to go from bottom to top in a league with just ONE match, but the unique circumstances that Southend find themselves in, it is possible today, if Southend win 8-0/9-1.

So let's make history?

I know realistically that we are more likely to make history by being the first team to lose 20-0 in a League 2 football match, but we can always hope?

Good stats and of course you’re absolutely right. It would take a brave person in the bookies to commit money to it though :Smile:

I was critical of MMs 4-4-2 system but since the return of Macca in the middle I'm willing to give it a try again. At least for the first half anyway.

Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Egbri McCormack Hutch Green
Kelman Goodship

Really hoping we see the return of Clifford today, I rate him way above Ralph.

Also I genuinely thought about dropping Oxley, but I doubt MM is going to do that. But Oxley must at least look like he wants to try today.

A good line-up I although I think Eren Kinali should come ahead of Terrell Egbri on the right-hand of midfield on recent form.

Reactions: ESG
Last time I was there we (the Southend fans) were kept behind whilst some rather childish and tiresome Carlisle fans (well, idiots really) waited around after the game for us to leave. They (Carlisle) were in relegation trouble and I think the fans were revolting.

That might have been the same match where no-one would pass to Laurent (playing as a winger) for some reason - or perhaps I am mixing things up.
That was my one and only visit to Carlisle, was the game in 2004 where we won 2-1 and effectively relegated them. I was with some friends from university who don’t normally attend football matches, I had to assure them it was not normally like this!

We are going to get spanked, they will be looking to push on after losing 3-0 away to Cambridge.

Not feeling it today, even with McCormack. We will lose and it’ll be an improvement on last Saturday, which isn’t hard.

Really not sure if I can bring myself to pay another tenner to watch this on iFollow :Think: Will wait to see the starting line up

Not paying a tenner to watch. I would probably spend most of the time hiding behind a pillow! Will listen to the commentary. I think (ok hope) we will slowly improve during the season as we add more of MM's picks. I am not expecting overnight success just a gradual improvement until we can start turning losses/draws into wins. My optimism suggests we will survivie on and off the pitch this year. Next season will be the season to look out for.

The commentary is so poor it’s embarrassing.

whilst Paul Clarke does make some valid observations the actual accuracy of what they say compared with what actually happened is a joke.

Wrong names for players who have just done something, really bad judgement on who was at fault ie “that’s a poor touch” for a player trying desperately to make a bad ball good! They spend minutes at a time waffling about nothing while players have actually made a good contribution.

It’s needs must sometimes but anyone commenting on a performance - team or individual, based on the commentary may as well be watching a different game.

whilst Paul Clarke does make some valid observations the actual accuracy of what they say compared with what actually happened is a joke.

Wrong names for players who have just done something, really bad judgement on who was at fault ie “that’s a poor touch” for a player trying desperately to make a bad ball good! They spend minutes at a time waffling about nothing while players have actually made a good contribution.

It’s needs must sometimes but anyone commenting on a performance - team or individual, based on the commentary may as well be watching a different game.
Everyone to his own.
I like Paul Clark, who as a former player and manager, picks up on things pundits like me and thee miss.
One might add, having done it, reacting instantly in coherent and telling sentences aint the breeze you might imagine!

I just can't justify a tenner atm. I will probably watch the home games as I have purchased a ST but will have to pick and choose the away games.

Appreciate he’s not ready to start but is Akinola in the squad or is he not registered yet?

Back