• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Carlisle Utd 2 -0 Southend Utd

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Not too much good to be taken away from that 90+ minutes but lets get those views and comments flowing.

That was almost as bad as last week, the only difference is Oxley was more switched on. I can't see where a goal is coming from in this team, there's no creativity in midfield and our strikers aren't good enough to create chances for themselves.

Oxley 7

Ralph 5
Hobson 3
Taylor 4
Elvis 3

Egbri 5
Hutchinson 3
McCormack 4
Green 4

Goodship 4
Kelman 4

Too easily knocked off the ball , but they are youngsters who’ve been thrown in too early so I’m not going to get on their backs.
Just so sad we have come to this , especially as I actually thought Carlisle were awful and will probably be in the lower half.

I think I said it all at HT on the match thread. I listened to those who said we’d struggle big time in L2 and was desperately hopeful we wouldn’t but we’ve already lost all 4 games this season. Unless we get players in its not looking good. Registering Akinola is a priority. These kids are simply in the habit of losing and went down with a whimper today. Don’t blame them but we need to help them out, it’s painful to watch. We need to be tougher, quicker, cleverer.

Oxley 7 - several good saves, good distribution, was commanding a bit when he could. I didn't think the goals were down to him, but I'd need to check again.
Taylor 5 - looked alright I thought. Didn't find many passes but at least didn't give the ball away over-playing. Can't have it both ways.
The rest 4.

Good teams are about spine and bench. Our spine and bench are both shocking.
Jordan Green is too good for this league
Goodship is useless
Richard Taylor done well. Hobson a very mixed bag, takes too long on the ball, some poor passing nearly cost a goal but Oxley saved us.

I've seen better decision making at 3 am when the bar's been drunk dry of jagerbombs. We are shocking mentally. making very poor decisions. taking a second touch when we should launch it, launching it when we should take a touch. cutting inside when the space is wide, Goodship trying long cross field pass when the better one is give it Green two yards away and let him run. A series of poor decisions is why we conceded the second. First was unlucky, but we got ourselves in a poor position.

like their left back got booked for clattering Egbri. Then didn't run at him once. By the end we added poor execution of even (rare) good decisions.

I said before the season started we had two objectives this season, staying in the league and staying in business. Anything and everything else is a bonus. Confidence is on the floor, decision making is terrible. If we have a game plan it isn't being executed. Our bench is like a creche.

We were not even this poor under Sol. So let's ask why? For starters MM is persistent with this 4-4-2 system, which is evidently not working. Way too much expectation and responsibilities on the players.

It's frustrating because some of these players really aren't bad. I saw Gard play very well in a couple games last season, Clifford got player of the month just before lockdown. Kinali started to pull up trees.

These young players drew 4 games in a row, beat lincoln at home and beat Bristol Rovers at home all in the league above.

So what has changed? I am not afraid to throw some shade at Molelsey today. I would love to know why he is persisting with this system (which certain posters called out in pre season that it wont work). Also a bit insulting to us who have payed a tenner to watch this and he takes off all strikers so we end up with no forwards??

Do not get me wrong, the buck will always stop with Ron. This is his doing. But, Molesley has to face a few questions today.

Hard to draw too many positives from that but it was nice to see Mr Oxley doing a bit more this week including some very good shot stopping. Macca does indeed look as if he could bolster up our midfield once he loses some of the ring rust. And also a word of praise for Nathan Ralph, I though he was our best player until subbed. The prospect maybe of Tom Clifford at LB with Ralph in front of him certainly has some appeal. Just to balance out the comment, I though the rest of the team looked naive, disinterested, not good enough and so on. Not really their fault as they are being asked to be FL2 players when they just aren't ready yet. Until we get the embargo lifted and or some of our experienced players get back on the pitch we are going to have to endure this sort of performance for some weeks yet, maybe longer. Bloody painful and frustrating but that is the lot of a Southend supporter and you shouldn't join if you can't take a joke.

I'm not going to spend the rest of the afternoon getting angrier and angrier at the team, Molesley or Ron as that will change nothing. We are where we are, for the moment and we only conceded two this week, so a little improvement.

Even with players back like Lennon, White, Akinola the squads weak
Some will say it’s too early to think about relegation but I’m afraid that simply isn’t the case
The clubs in an absolute mess
Smaller clubs, with a smaller fan base have still managed to put together respectable squads
I usually attempt to be slightly positive but I simply can’t find any

Oxley, Green, McCormack the only ones who look like L2 quality Players in today’s squad, not necessarily based on today’s performance

We’re done for (sorry Mr Martin, how dare I moan)

We were not even this poor under Sol. So let's ask why? For starters MM is persistent with this 4-4-2 system, which is evidently not working. Way too much expectation and responsibilities on the players.

It's frustrating because some of these players really aren't bad. I saw Gard play very well in a couple games last season, Clifford got player of the month just before lockdown. Kinali started to pull up trees.

These young players drew 4 games in a row, beat lincoln at home and beat Bristol Rovers at home all in the league above.

So what has changed? I am not afraid to throw some shade at Molelsey today. I would love to know why he is persisting with this system (which certain posters called out in pre season that it wont work). Also a bit insulting to us who have payed a tenner to watch this and he takes off all strikers so we end up with no forwards??

Do not get me wrong, the buck will always stop with Ron. This is his doing. But, Molesley has to face a few questions today.
Last season we had Mantom, Milligan, McLaughlin, White etc in and amongst them. Look at the game vs Lincoln that we won. Perfect blend of experience and youth. We’re totally unbalanced. I don’t blame MM’s formation today, I blame poor decisions and poor work rate. Maybe due to inexperience, lack of confidence or lack of fitness. Whatever, it needs sorting sharpish and we need players in there with experience in key positions. Centre back, right back, up front we were weak today. Elvis had a shocker so did Kelman and Goodship. But these players shouldn’t be nailed down starters in the first place. I don’t blame them, we’ve hardly got loads of options.

Shocking display from Goodship and Kelman. Done nothing to get the team up the pitch, let their defenders have an easy day and the ball just came straight back. Their first goal, Hobson and Taylor awful, zero aggression, just let the lad come in and bury it. Macca diving in as well out on the byline, he's the one with experience? Shouldve been jockeyed then doubled up on.
Its just **** poor right through the team but today the strikers couldnt trap a pancake.

Kelman and Goodship looked totally useless when chasing balls out wide, I genuinely think had someone like Akinola been playing today we may have got some more reward from that decent first half spell.

I do think that Egbri clearly has something about him, and in any other season he'd be a great option to come on against tiring legs.

We aren't going to win any games with a front two as ineffective as those two were today. I honestly can't remember one decent thing from Kelman. For a young, apparently talented forward to turn and pass backwards rather than take on the defender is unforgivable.

Someone said Goodship was Blair Sturrock mark 2 this week; that's harsh on Sturrock, his link up play was excellent.

Macca is not up to full match sharpness, but I thought he showed more control of that middle area for the first 20 than the rest of our lot have combined in the 3 games so far. Hutchinson frankly cannot play in centre mid, he's weak, slow to release the ball and poor defensively. If he wants to be an influence in the middle he needs to bulk up considerably.

First time watching on IFollow which worked ok hooked up to the TV .....

For me we seem to have lost the fight that we started to see during the last few games of last season, which is a worry given we are in the honeymoon period of a new manager. We lost virtually every contested aerial battle and a number of players seems to run in opposite directions from the ball just to avoid a 50:50 challenge.

Goodship for me has had long enough now and isn’t a league standard player I’m afraid and offers nothing. Kelman last year was a right pain in the arse harassing defenders, making a nuisance of himself and trying shots from any angle...this year he is a complete shadow of that player.

I though Green did ok and was probably the pick of the players, Macca was always available and in the right place, but his passing (as was the whole team) was very wayward, perhaps trying too hard ? As for Hutchinson, I didn’t get the hype last year and I still don’t, seems to me he rates himself higher than he actually is...another lazy player.

Hobson and Taylor are probably the weakest pairing in the league, they don’t win a lot of balls, misjudge the flight of the ball an awful lot of the time and look like each could give a soft goal away every game. Elvis ...seems to me like another who has given up on SUFC. And let’s be clear if it wasn’t for a few smart Oxley saves this would have been another 4:0 defeat.

As a team I don’t think there were any successful crosses, no attempts on target and I think were below 35% on aerial battles won...we are simply too lightweight with very little fight.

That said, what else can we do, it’s not like there are players that should be in the side that aren’t. Once a few of the senior players are back ( if they really are injured ) then we should improve. I read that Akinola is more of a winger than a forward and if so we definitely need another forward as we aren’t going to score goals with what we have. For me I would take any Kelman money, offload Goodship and get in 2 new forwards, one being a target man to at least offer some threat up top.

Still too early and unfair to judge Moseley just yet, but a few strange substitutions today .so will reserve judgement at this point ....and why are we only naming 6 subs ?

Too easily knocked off the ball , but they are youngsters who’ve been thrown in too early so I’m not going to get on their backs.
Just so sad we have come to this , especially as I actually thought Carlisle were awful and will probably be in the lower half.
They are professional footballers,they get paid to play football,and they havent been thrown in too early as they was playing in league 1 and performing ok ?

This 'boys' shtick is starting to grate.
The boys are not good enough, and I'm talking the basics: control; speed, speed of thought, and courage.
If I was 18 again, I would want to drive at sides and have a go. There wasn't much sign of burning desire out there today.
Movement?
The camera is always focused on the ball, so you have to assume when players looked up searching for a forward pass, and found none, those ahead were either hiding or clueless about where they were on the pitch.
Folks talk about an U23 look to the side - it didn't unduly worry West Ham.
It's not all about age.

Back