• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Carlisle Utd 2 -0 Southend Utd

I might ask the wife to hide the remote control again this evening so I cannot accidentally watch the EFL Quest.

There have probably been worse times being a Southend fan but I am not enjoying this!

I wonder if its possible to go the whole season without a league win...…..relegation and in the record books forever would be an achievement that nobody wants...…….but looking at today it could be a reality for Southend United

The rather sad and constant attempt to play the ball from the back was a disaster and again these players are not capable of it, Time and time again we played it slowly from and across the back and got nowhere mucking it up, coming under pressure. until someone had to hastily boot it in hope ,up to the halfway line, losing possession every single time, So what exactly does that achieve?
At least Oxleys big boots could if called upon launch the ball into their penalty area, what would we lose by that if we then pressed? not pretty but better than being under the cosh for 45 minutes and unable to get the ball forward whilst fluffing about at the back ?
Winning just 30% of aerial balls is also a recipe for disaster and we lost possession time and time again because of it

anyone justify Hutchinson’s continued existence in the centre of our midfield?
He’s supposed to bring quality and guile, but literally does not provide this.
As well as that, he does not have anywhere near the required physical presence, effort & determination.
I know he’s young, and we don’t have a plethora of options, but what must Michael Klass have done to be ignored by the last 3 managers?

The OX.......can be brilliant at times and rubbish on the fundamentals 7
Elvis ....what has happened to him...should be going forwards not backwards 3
Taylor....awkward...clumsy....come back in 3 years 3
Hobson...looks good one minute and terrible the next 4
Ralph....still signs of a good player 6
Hutch....looking like Sol got something right...ballet turn followed by negative backwards step....and very weak.....did have high hopes 3
Macca cormack.....looked a man and was spraying it about...unfortunately to the blues 5
Green.....always lively...in the wrong team 5
Badship....better than his partner but oh so anonymous and weak...does show bits of talent 4
Kelman....what a waste of effort and space....have never believed the hype and all i see is a bloke that hides, is immobile and has zero interest.....50k anyone? 2
Eggers.....similar to Green but not as good...4

Can we not bring in a whole new squad? I thought the embargo meant we could only sign a player if we get rid of a pro. Considering we have 0 pros at our club surely we can sign whoever we want? Need a bit of creativity in midfield so sign up KDB!

I wonder if its possible to go the whole season without a league win...…..relegation and in the record books forever would be an achievement that nobody wants...…….but looking at today it could be a reality for Southend United
We had slowed down the goals conceded rate but were on for 100+ goals conceded last season. We ended up on 85. Already 6 this season. Morecambe losing 0-5 at home to Cambridge atm. Well hopefully we can help them reduce that horrible goal difference! :Winking:

We cannot go on like this. This is my club, has been for years and every defeat really hurts! ?

We will win games this season, but not with this side. By the end of the season, half ot these won't be in the starting line up. I got slated once for saying Charlie Kelman is over rated, Lol. Please SUFC, take the money. Goodship has now been found out, and best all around, is that he goes back to the South coast. It was worth a cheap gamble, but it hasn't paid off. Elvis looks like he wants to go, so he can as well.

The OX.......can be brilliant at times and rubbish on the fundamentals 7
Elvis ....what has happened to him...should be going forwards not backwards 3
Taylor....awkward...clumsy....come back in 3 years 3
Hobson...looks good one minute and terrible the next 4
Ralph....still signs of a good player 6
Hutch....looking like Sol got something right...ballet turn followed by negative backwards step....and very weak.....did have high hopes 3
Macca cormack.....looked a man and was spraying it about...unfortunately to the blues 5
Green.....always lively...in the wrong team 5
Badship....better than his partner but oh so anonymous and weak...does show bits of talent 4
Kelman....what a waste of effort and space....have never believed the hype and all i see is a bloke that hides, is immobile and has zero interest.....50k anyone? 2
Eggers.....similar to Green but not as good...4
Have to agree with most of this.
Not so sure about Green's contribution. 'Lively' - yes; effective - no.

Can't disagree with most of what's written here.

Oxley 7, Ralph 6, Green 6 - the rest 4.

I'm afraid, irrespective of their age, most of these players are not up to playing in the football league. We need those few League 2 quality players we have got to get fit and we're still short of a Barry Corr/Drewe Broughton/ MAF so that the ball does stick when we get it forward as well.

Macca will be good when he gets up to speed, but he needs a midfield partner and Hutch is not ready yet IMHO.

The likes of Hobson, Taylor, Egbri, Gard, Kelman etc. should be learning their trade in the under 23s.

Goodship, I'm afraid is not football league quality, but with the lack of any other options what choice has Molesley got?

Too many of this squad are young and have got so used to losing they just don't hurt anymore and the heads go down . That's where experienced pros like Macca and former players like Timlin and AB are prime examples of what's needed to turn this round. The other major issue is goals we now have no proven strikers at this level..... unfortunately highly rated or a great prospect simply doesn't cut it in League 2 when you are bossed and knocked off the ball so easily. Today was another prime example and memory to the many older members of SZ of just how hard and unpretty this division is and you won't survive with an U23 team of lightweights

Another poor showing against a team who’ll be down towards the bottom of the league table at the end of the season.

It’s the same old story, look bright for the opening 5/10 minutes but then concede and heads start to drop. Before you know it we’re 2-0 down and it’s as good as game over. We have no quality to ever get back in to the game. It’s very worrying.

The only positives we can take is that once Akinola, Demi, Dieng and White are back fit and available it’ll be the end of seeing the likes of Goodship, Gard, Taylor and even Elvis who is going backwards in his development. We might start to pick up some results then fingers crossed.

I said last week that these young lads and our management team will be learning difficult lessons and that they need to learn quickly if we are to have any chance in surviving in the football league, well one thing MM should have learnt by now is that 4-4-2 doesn’t work. For me we have to go with 3 across the midfield.. Dieng, Macca and Hutchinson (only because we have no one else) with 3 across the front.

Last thing from me, last weekend I was very critical of Oxley like many were but I thought today he wasn’t to blame for the defeat and in fact he pulled off some excellent saves so well done to him.

At least it was only two
We were not even this poor under Sol. So let's ask why? For starters MM is persistent with this 4-4-2 system, which is evidently not working. Way too much expectation and responsibilities on the players.

It's frustrating because some of these players really aren't bad. I saw Gard play very well in a couple games last season, Clifford got player of the month just before lockdown. Kinali started to pull up trees.

These young players drew 4 games in a row, beat lincoln at home and beat Bristol Rovers at home all in the league above.

So what has changed? I am not afraid to throw some shade at Molelsey today. I would love to know why he is persisting with this system (which certain posters called out in pre season that it wont work). Also a bit insulting to us who have payed a tenner to watch this and he takes off all strikers so we end up with no forwards??
Only 4 player's that started the Lincoln City game started todays match.

Back