• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Carlisle Utd 2 -0 Southend Utd

After last week watching fine on TV via laptop just got the spinning icon which was not a good start. So missed first twenty minutes but based on the remainder I saw on the iPad which worked fine that was probably not a great miss.

Also impressed with Oxley one great throw out that we should have made more along with several decent saves although felt he might have saved the second goal. Both centre backs are a great concern as both seem weak so loose too many personal duels as well as being error prone. Also we are so light weight up front it is painful to watch.

Even though this first two games have been so disappointing still more concerned with our off field issues which really need to be resolved before we can make real progress on it.

I don't think our experienced players will be rushing back. People need to stop hanging their hat on then coming back. Be amazed if any of them play more than 20 games this season.
.... and they were borderline subs anyway.....this is really serious .....today was so bad we could end up with 20 points

We don't close down and chase like the opposition. We allowed them to play it out from the back every time. I don't remenber us winning any second balls off goal kicks too and our passing was very poor

Hutch is not a CM. Doesn't have the strength or composure

[
We don't close down and chase like the opposition. We allowed them to play it out from the back every time. I don't remenber us winning any second balls off goal kicks too and our passing was very poor

Hutch is not a CM. Doesn't have the strength or composure

some people think the reason we got relegated was cos Sol would not play him .... and when the dummy went out the pram ... ??

They are professional footballers,they get paid to play football,and they havent been thrown in too early as they was playing in league 1 and performing ok ?

Come on Shrimpet, don't lose heart. You were saying we should get behind our team and push for promotion. Whilst a promotion push is somewhat ambitious there's no harm in aiming high. We just have to get through the next couple of months, hopefully get the embargo lifted, HMRC paid off and Fossetts Farm approved. Looking at the league table after two games we can see that although we are bottom Grimsby, Oldham and Bolton also have no points. We aren't adrift yet.

Really surprised we set up 442 again when it’s so clear we need to tighten up based on the players we have and go 451.

Seems we will just plough on with 442 and if we lose we lose. A tad Bondesque.

The potential saving grace is if we get the injured players back and and the right incomings then maybe it will start working.

Would still be happier if we were flexible in formation based on the limitations of who we had available and just went to get a point of two on the board...

BBC shows 55% possession to us and only 4 shots, one on target compared to their 21 shots and 7 on target

So from the post match thread so far reading all the football experts, if we :-

Only play Oxley alternate games....

and send Hobson back to Weymouth......

and teach Taylor how to pass.....

and get rid of Hutchinson.....

and Terrel grows 2 foot and puts on a stone and gets a brain......

and sign 10 more Greens......

and take 10 years off Macca.....

and send Goodship back to Weymouth.....

and sell Charlie for whatever is offered ASAP.....

We’ll be ok and we’ll suddenly fly up the league?

If only MM realised it was that easy and stopped messing around ?

Oxley 6 - some good stops, but beaten near post for the 2nd

Elvis 3 - what has happened there?
Hobson 2 - there could be an OK defender there but until he takes better care of the ball he's got no business playing pro football. Pass selection and pace was shocking.
Taylor 5
Ralph 5

Egbri 6 - at least tried to make something happen
Macca 5 - understandably off the pace and will get better but jumped into tackles and passing was poor
Hutch 2 - I liked him last season but dear lord that was awful. No presence in midfield and gave away possession so often
Green 6

Kelman 2 - may as well not have been on the pitch.
Goodship 4 - not very good but still twice as good as his strike partner, the odd decent run into channels

So from the post match thread so far reading all the football experts, if we :-

Only play Oxley alternate games....

and send Hobson back to Weymouth......

and teach Taylor how to pass.....

and get rid of Hutchinson.....

and Terrel grows 2 foot and puts on a stone and gets a brain......

and sign 10 more Greens......

and take 10 years off Macca.....

and send Goodship back to Weymouth.....

and sell Charlie for whatever is offered ASAP.....

We’ll be ok and we’ll suddenly fly up the league?

If only MM realised it was that easy and stopped messing around ?
But then we wouldn't be able to field a starting 11. I reckon I must be reading a different thread to you, mind you I reckon you've cracked it on the Terrell front.:Winking:

Better than last week. Green shoots emerging in some areas of the team with McCormack's influence clearly visible in the first half. Going to take a few more weeks before we see some returns on the improvement.
genuinely what are the green shoots? Carlisle were awful and still could have scored 5, we could still be out there now, and still wouldn't have had a chance

We were not even this poor under Sol. So let's ask why? For starters MM is persistent with this 4-4-2 system, which is evidently not working. Way too much expectation and responsibilities on the players.

It's frustrating because some of these players really aren't bad. I saw Gard play very well in a couple games last season, Clifford got player of the month just before lockdown. Kinali started to pull up trees.

These young players drew 4 games in a row, beat lincoln at home and beat Bristol Rovers at home all in the league above.

So what has changed? I am not afraid to throw some shade at Molelsey today. I would love to know why he is persisting with this system (which certain posters called out in pre season that it wont work). Also a bit insulting to us who have payed a tenner to watch this and he takes off all strikers so we end up with no forwards??

Do not get me wrong, the buck will always stop with Ron. This is his doing. But, Molesley has to face a few questions today.

when we announced MM, my only advise to Craig Fagen would have been to sit tight and stick around if you want to be manager of SUFC...

Really disappointing today. Fitness levels looked horrifying low. I know we're behind in that sense due to Ron's dithering over the new manager but even so, you'd have thought that the kids would have enough athleticism to cope for now. They were all running through treacle by the end.

Oxley: Much better. I would say he kept us in the game but we were never really in the game.

Back four: Other than Ralph, pretty poor. Elvis looked like he was making his debut. Unrecognisable so far.

Midfield: Macca had a reasonable first half but as predicted only lasted 60 minutes. Not been that impressed with Green so far, whereas Egbri actually looked bright. Probably my MOM. Hutch simply can't play in a midfield two unless we opt for the lopsided 4-4-2 system that Brown and Tilly used with Atkinson and Pettefer respectively to allow a third CM when out of possession.

Kelman and Goodship: Totally anonymous but in fairness feeding off scraps.

Subs: No effect

The ref: No issues

MM: Needs a rethink. An open 4-4-2 doesn't work with the current personnel. Should look at a more solid 4-2-3-1 option and potentially ditch both wingers.

Looking ahead: No positives at all today but on a wider scale we will have better options once the experienced players return.

Next week: We'll be up against a side who lost 5-0 at home. Unfortunately it's Morecambe...

There was quite a bit of positivity on here going into the new season and I really couldn’t see why when you look at our squad. It’s non-league. If last season’s team had competed in L2 we’d have struggled to survive so what did people expect this season after many of our senior squad were released or decided to leave the club? This isn’t the players fault, most are being asked to compete in L2 long before they are ready. It’s not the team, it’s not MM, all this is a culmination of the club being dreadfully mismanaged for the last 3-4 years at least. It WILL get better but before that can happen it is very much likely to get a whole lot worse and people need to come to terms with that. It will take a huge effort to save us from starting 2021/22 in non-league football for the first time in our history.

We could be playing against the like of Concord, Chelmsford or Billericay in same league! If we did a Stockport or York, we could end up with more Essex derbies in conference south and get beat by the like of Hornchurch, Bowers etc if they come up!

Back