• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What should I get?

• Total voters
For some reason that i really do not know....Mrs AS has a really burning passion for this motor vehicle.

mitsubishi-l200-warrior.jpg

MrB you can have my car for £13,500 ;)

6 Series all the way B. M5 is lovely, however does look as though you should have a couple of kids seats in the back (what about an M3?)
I know I know but I still like it. Having said that I am leaning towards the 6 at the moment. Nothing will happen till March anyway which is when I have to make a final payment to someone and only then will I know what sort of budget i can stretch to. I may yet have to buy Ricey's car.

M3 to me is just a bit of a rude boys car now, there seem to be loads of them about. The Neiman Marcus M6 would be ideal but alas way out of my price range.

bmw_m6_neiman.jpg

B - if you're happy with second-hand, then maybe consider either of these, both on Autotrader for £30K, with reasonable mileage (37K for the Merc, 14K for the Mas)...

slk55amg05.jpg

Mercedes AMG 55

i.maserati.spyder.2005.05jan.jpg

Maserati Spyder

Think he's had enough of cars that break down.
Precisely. Tuscans, Tamoras and suchlike have crossed my mind but have been dismissed.

Matt - won't buy a Merc, they just don't do it for me. Maserati is an interesting one however I don't want to go down the road of difficulties/expense in repairs again, hence the attraction of the BMWs.

I'll have probably changed my mind 30 times in the next 6 months anyway!

Precisely. Tuscans, Tamoras and suchlike have crossed my mind but have been dismissed.

Matt - won't buy a Merc, they just don't do it for me. Maserati is an interesting one however I don't want to go down the road of difficulties/expense in repairs again, hence the attraction of the BMWs.

I'll have probably changed my mind 30 times in the next 6 months anyway!

Actually a BMW will suit you down to the ground, turning in late, making people move for you, pulling out early. Be just like an afternoon at the football ;-)

6 months down the line and it's nearly crunch time. Prices have moved considerably! Rather funnily I had my Aston offered back to me for £28k, £7k less than I sold it for less than a year ago (and that was cut price for a quick sale!). Still said no.

I think I've set my heart on the 645 now (despite the overwhelming vote against it), 04/05 models are going for around £17/18k now (that's a £60k piece of kit), amazing how much the bottom has fallen out. I'm thinking my depreciation costs over the next couple of years might not be too bad.

Having said that, though I've said I'd never buy a Merc, I heard there might be an AMG 55 going cheap.....

Don't go for the Merc! BMW all the way B!

6 months down the line and it's nearly crunch time. Prices have moved considerably! Rather funnily I had my Aston offered back to me for £28k, £7k less than I sold it for less than a year ago (and that was cut price for a quick sale!). Still said no.

I think I've set my heart on the 645 now (despite the overwhelming vote against it), 04/05 models are going for around £17/18k now (that's a £60k piece of kit), amazing how much the bottom has fallen out. I'm thinking my depreciation costs over the next couple of years might not be too bad.

Having said that, though I've said I'd never buy a Merc, I heard there might be an AMG 55 going cheap.....

645's are great, although you might want to debadge as i understand they only do 650's now?? have been in a couple of 645s and always have been impressed.

Don't go for Merc, I've been stuck with mine for 2 years now and the dealers are *****, whereas bmw are on your side with warranty stuff etc the merc dealers are stuck up their own arses , although you do get access to a fridge and a bowl of chocolate bars everytime its in for yet another ****ing warranty repair.

only problem with bmw is every other **** on the road thinks you are an estate agent **** and doesn't let you out

p.s. how about a chrysler 300C? bit plasticky but you;ll own the road

Is it really worth buying a car these days?

Suppose you pay 18k for an 04 model. You are getting a 5 year old car which after 3 years will be worth maybe 4 or 5 grand so its cost 14,000 quid. The servicing and potential repair bill will be expensive so you easily chuck another few thou at that figure.

Might pay to have a look at a leasing with maintenance contract. You have the benefit of fixed cost motoring with no hidden surprises, a brand new car with the warranty that goes with it, and at the end of it you have probably spent a similar amount of money. Over the last couple of years we have changed all of our Company cars to this sort of deal rather than buying outright, largely because I got fed up with buying a car from a dealer who tells me what a great deal i'm getting, and three years later, when its time to part ex, the same dealer is telling me theres really no demand for these cars and they aint worth tuppence.

If you can get over the old school ownership mentality it really might be worth a look.

Is it really worth buying a car these days?

Suppose you pay 18k for an 04 model. You are getting a 5 year old car which after 3 years will be worth maybe 4 or 5 grand so its cost 14,000 quid. The servicing and potential repair bill will be expensive so you easily chuck another few thou at that figure.

Might pay to have a look at a leasing with maintenance contract. You have the benefit of fixed cost motoring with no hidden surprises, a brand new car with the warranty that goes with it, and at the end of it you have probably spent a similar amount of money. Over the last couple of years we have changed all of our Company cars to this sort of deal rather than buying outright, largely because I got fed up with buying a car from a dealer who tells me what a great deal i'm getting, and three years later, when its time to part ex, the same dealer is telling me theres really no demand for these cars and they aint worth tuppence.

If you can get over the old school ownership mentality it really might be worth a look.

problem is leasing rates are now higher due to increased depreciation , increased financing costs and **** euro rate for parts... i think that you are always going to lose on a motor, just best to let someone else take the hit of the first year, and then sell it before year 3

I was always anti-Merc until I actually drove one. I had a CLK (just a slow diesel too) and loved it. Very comfortable, solid, good looking car. My favourite car I've ever owned was a Fiat Coupe 20v turbo. You could pick one up for about 2k and it would give an M3 a fair run for it's money. And they're quite reliable for Fiat's so long as you look after them.

Nowaday's I couldn't bring myself to buy a car over 10k. The depreication and running costs are scary. I've clearly reached that stage in life where it's just about "getting from A to B" sigh.....

Now drive a Suzuki Swift! (when I'm not on my bicycle)

Back