• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Catalonia bans bullfighting

Well it's a start. It's incredible that this suffering and murder of an innocent animal for entertainment is allowed in the modern world.
Unfortunately the Spanish couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks about this outrage.

Apparently the Spanish claim its a fair fight between beast and man. Funny how the beast always dies though.

Apparently the Spanish claim its a fair fight between beast and man. Funny how the beast always dies though.

First of all the man is a lot cleverer than the beast. He fools the beast and steps aside.
Secondly, the man has razor sharp weapons that easily penetrate the poor beast when it's back is turned.
Thirdly, when the man gets struck by the beast which rarely happens, he is rescued by other men. Nobody rescues the beast when it is struck.

So how can they say it is a fair fight between man and beast, like you say, the beast always dies.

Well it's a start. It's incredible that this suffering and murder of an innocent animal for entertainment is allowed in the modern world.
Unfortunately the Spanish couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks about this outrage.

Actually,it's more of a political and nationalist issue here in Catalonia, regarding independence from Madrid rather than anything(or very much at any rate)to do with animal rights.Unfortunately.
Having said that, I'm anti-bullfighting but I think it should have been left to die a natural uneconomic death in Catalonia rather than being banned.This decision will almost certainly be reversed after next year's regional elections in any case.
FWIW, I've got quite a lot of sympathy for those who claim it's an art.Though I haven't been to one in over thirty years.

Actually,it's more of a political and nationalist issue here in Catalonia, regarding independence from Madrid rather than anything(or very much at any rate)to do with animal rights.Unfortunately.
Having said that, I'm anti-bullfighting but I think it should have been left to die a natural uneconomic death in Catalonia rather than being banned.This decision will almost certainly be reversed after next year's regional elections in any case.
FWIW, I've got quite a lot of sympathy for those who claim it's an art.Though I haven't been to one in over thirty years.

Then why don't show off their art in tricking the bull and dodging out of the way in a humane change of rules.
Why should they torture and kill the bull?
Take away the weapons, change the ending, let the bull back into the field without a scratch.
Then even I would go and watch. I'm sure thousands would follow me as well. It would probably increase attendance.

watched some during fiesta of the fogueres/san juan in alicante this june. on one of the "runs" it took the guy at the end (not the "matador") two proper daggers to the back of the head of the bull when it was laying prone fharched on the floor to finish it off. er not too great imho.

Should be banned by Europe years ago. They seem to like banning everything else, but I guess straight cucumbers are more important.

Oh well ill stop making my army of minotaurs now ... hmm what to do with them .

Mind you there is a less well known but appears more popular version in Spain which doesn't involve death to the bull at all . Its n acrobatic version Barna are you aware of it ???

Oh well ill stop making my army of minotaurs now ... hmm what to do with them .

Mind you there is a less well known but appears more popular version in Spain which doesn't involve death to the bull at all . Its n acrobatic version Barna are you aware of it ???

You're perhaps talking about the Portuguese version which I've seen and admire for the horsemanship involved.
Don't forget the Carmargue version (in the Midi)where "rascateurs" take a rosette from behind the bull's ears.Genuinely thrilling and no-one gets killed or (more usually)gored apart from the occasional bloke

Last edited:
You're talking about the Portuguese version which I've seen and admire for the horsemanship involved.
Don't forget the Carmargue version (in the Midi)where "rascateurs" take a rosette from behind the bull's ears.Genuinely thrilling and no-one gets killed apart from the occasional bloke!

The Carmargue version that was it , they way they flip over the bulls is amazing and far more skillfull then matadors . NOt seen teh Portuguese is it similar ?

I went to a bullfight once and it was the most disgraceful thing I have ever seen. £25 to get in, £3 for a can of Coke and I was sat so far at the back I couldn't even see the cow getting stabbed.

The Carmargue version that was it , they way they flip over the bulls is amazing and far more skillfull then matadors . NOt seen teh Portuguese is it similar ?

The Portuguese version is similar to a normal corrida except the Matador is on horseback and (perhaps more importantly)the bull doesn't get killed.

On Jeremy Vine there was a similar argument to this, that it is SPANISH culture and not CATALAN culture and so it was basically a two-fingers up kind of gesture!

Back