• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes and obviously it's something nobody likes to see.All I can say is that coming back from El Prat airport yesterday,well after 8 pm,things were pretty quiet in the centre except in Plaza Catalunya, where there were a lot of people watching the election coverage on a giant screen and a strong (but discrete police presence-ie a lot of cops in vans.That's all I saw personally.

There's no question however that local Catalan politicians have already won the propaganda war.Certainly judging by the pictures I saw on the BBC yesterday lunchtime down in Old Leigh.
oh Barna, your detractors will jump on El Prat!

Absolutely crazy.

Going in heavy handed like that actually makes Catalan independence that much more likely. They'll still be talking about this violence in 30 years' time.

No condamnation of the police by the EU I see. Wonder why? If this had been Hungery or Poland they would have been all over it. Now we know what to expect when they try it on with Gilbraltar.

Lets give them another World Cup.

Absolutely crazy.

Going in heavy handed like that actually makes Catalan independence that much more likely. They'll still be talking about this violence in 30 years' time.

It won't happen by UDI.

With regard to your final comment, the Catalans have a long sense of grievance against the Spanish state (much of it justified).Personally,I'm not sure the current conflict will lead anywhere,how long it will be remembered is another matter,entirely. I first came here to work in 1978.Anyone who was in Barna at that time remembers the protests then in support of the setting up of a Spanish constitution.We're very much in "terra incognita" atm.It's rash to make any predictions as to what might happen.

Last edited:
No condamnation of the police by the EU I see. Wonder why? If this had been Hungery or Poland they would have been all over it. Now we know what to expect when they try it on with Gilbraltar.

Lets give them another World Cup.

The EU, quite rightly,want to stay out of what they consider to be an internal matter between the Spanish state and the local Catalan government.Today's general strike in Cataluña, for example, is a regional strike it's not a national one.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41479048

Last edited:
I've only seen the footage on the BBC web site which will be tame to some of the stuff out there. It reminded me of 1980's South Africa. The world has just witnessed out of control thugs masquerading as Police officers repeatedly striking out at unarmed men and women (probably children too) This one won't go away anytime soon.
I glad I live in a country where police officers have discipline and are properly accountable.

I've only seen the footage on the BBC web site which will be tame to some of the stuff out there. It reminded me of 1980's South Africa. The world has just witnessed out of control thugs masquerading as Police officers repeatedly striking out at unarmed men and women (probably children too) This one won't go away anytime soon.
I glad I live in a country where police officers have discipline and are properly accountable.

Ha! Yorkshire Police and Orgreave?

Btw,what you've seen on the Beeb is the same footage that's been shown here.

Last edited:
Ha! North Yorkshire Police and Orgreave?

Btw,what you've seen on the Beeb is the same footage that's been shown here.

33 years ago - I know you live in the past but still. A better comparison would have been the riots from a few summers ago where police tatics were largely to hold and monitor, collate information and act upon it. Looters are still being nicked today over this.
Oh, and it was South Yorkshire police but who cares about facts on these pages.

I see they're going to announce independence from Spain in a few days. Civil war anyone?

Also, I wonder those in the Basque region of France will follow suit?

I see they're going to announce independence from Spain in a few days. Civil war anyone?

if there is independence or if there is civil war the use of military police will be the cause IMO.
Question - probably for Barna - Catalonia is just part of the Spanish Basque region I assume - for now the rest is planning to stay Spanish?

What an almighty mess the Spanish Guv have made of this whole business. I am surprised that there hasn't been dissolving of their parliament, cabinet, inter party rows etc.
I remember reading, not long back, that Spain has more politicians per head of population than anywhere else in Europe; and more levels of "parish, local, "county, regional, national offices. Bureaucracy bonkers apparently?

if there is independence or if there is civil war the use of military police will be the cause IMO.
Question - probably for Barna - Catalonia is just part of the Spanish Basque region I assume - for now the rest is planning to stay Spanish?

I don't think so, Bilbao on the north/Biscay side is Basque. Historically Barca/Catalonia have always been opposed to the Franco/Madrid power. Also lots of massacres etc are remembered from the 1930s civil war.

Back