• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
Sorry if this has been posted before but i chanced across a map of catchment areas by club, which shows some interesting stats, for example we have (according to this report) a larger catchment than Manure, Wham and Chelsea.

600k potential plus fans on our doorstep... where were they last night?? :sad:

https://fusiontables.google.com/DataSource?docid=1kbfJuQbAYLo8tu1yMFenesVl9Xkem_AnU85qwver#map:id=4

I would wonder what type of crowds we are capable of getting, say if we were promoted to the premiersh!te ?

Problem as i see it is that our county is full of London-types, and wannabes supporting whatever prem club is flavour of the month.

Interesting table. Historically the migration from London has played a huge part, as has the fact that Southend has the sea on two sides and fish don't attend games.

But yeah, if we were to do a Bournemouth and enjoy a prolonged period in the top flight, that would unlock a whole new legion of fans and would probably permanently take us to the next level.

Yeah its hard not to be enviable of what Bournemouth have achieved. People can talk about the money they spent getting there in the first place but they're now competing against sides that spend £200 million in one transfer window and they're still in a ground comparable with Roots Hall.

Also from living in Bournemouth for 4 years I can tell you they have the same problem as us for attracting fans. People support the Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpools just as much down there as they do in Essex and then they also have to compete with Southampton as the local-ish big side which would be comparable with West Ham for us.

Interesting table. Historically the migration from London has played a huge part, as has the fact that Southend has the sea on two sides and fish don't attend games.

It's time we started to focus on the real enemy here. 111 years those piscine *******s have been holding this club back.

Yeah its hard not to be enviable of what Bournemouth have achieved. People can talk about the money they spent getting there in the first place but they're now competing against sides that spend £200 million in one transfer window and they're still in a ground comparable with Roots Hall.

Bournemouth will be back in League 1 or 2 before long. This flirtation with the Premiership only lasts a couple of years, though I'm sure it's exciting whilst you're there.

It's highly unlikely with the London overspill that we'd get anything more than (possibly) 15K....there's too much history of families supporting a London team not to mention the young kids only wanting to support teams that have any kind of success in Europe, hence why you get Man Utd, Citeh, Liverpool and even Barcelona (:facepalm:) shirts in Southend & MK.

I don't think it's long before a top tier of clubs shift away from the English game entirely.

Bournemouth will be back in League 1 or 2 before long. This flirtation with the Premiership only lasts a couple of years, though I'm sure it's exciting whilst you're there.

It's highly unlikely with the London overspill that we'd get anything more than (possibly) 15K....there's too much history of families supporting a London team not to mention the young kids only wanting to support teams that have any kind of success in Europe, hence why you get Man Utd, Citeh, Liverpool and even Barcelona (:facepalm:) shirts in Southend & MK.

I don't think it's long before a top tier of clubs shift away from the English game entirely.

kid sitting near me last night had a Barca shirt on - madness!

All comes down to the stadium and facilities, new stadium, bigger crowds, bigger income, the only way we can get more in the stadium at the moment is if we are in the top 5 and the average 7,500-8,000 will stay, where we are now will only get us around 6,500-7,000 at best, we need consistent performances for fans to stay, it's always been the case, big shame:sad:

If there is champions league on tv this has always Affected the attendance plenty of casual fans will have chosen to watch spurs and Liverpool....very well liked (I can't use the word support) around these parts. Also plenty or recent history of good attendances when we are doing well.
Big factor also roots hall is an absolute dump (I love the place btw)
And 25quid on the day is a tad steep imo particularly a couple of days before pay day for many.

As I have said a few times on here, Basildon is less than 13 miles away as the crow flies, and yet they don't support their local football League club. I understand all about them supporting London teams, but there are many football mad families that are being priced out of the London clubs. That town and surrounding area is very big and is ripe for the picking if ever we get the new stadium. The right campaign in Basildon Town Centre and incentives could easily encourage a few hundred and maybe even over a Thousand to start to follow Southend United.

Until we get the new stadium and offer much better ticket incentives we will always struggle at roots hall.

We don't have many derby games in this league.

We played a team from 45 miles away last night and they brought just 300 which is abysmal.

As I have said a few times on here, Basildon is less than 13 miles away as the crow flies, and yet they don't support their local football League club. I understand all about them supporting London teams, but there are many football mad families that are being priced out of the London clubs. That town and surrounding area is very big and is ripe for the picking if ever we get the new stadium. The right campaign in Basildon Town Centre and incentives could easily encourage a few hundred and maybe even over a Thousand to start to follow Southend United.

I live in Basildon, my dad is from Islington. I supported Arsenal as a boy with my dad but do you know what did it for me? Steve Tilson and a Southend coach came to my school and done a weekly training session for six weeks. I was 8 or 9 years old and I didn't have a clue who he was, or that there was a league club so close to me. The internet wasn't what it is now so my world was still so small. But there was a professional footballer with Southend United on his tracksuit teaching me how to be better and I was in ore. Later that season me, a friend and his older brother went to go see a game. We didn't tell our parents. I might only be 13 miles but it seems a long way and I've never looked backed.

There's great facilities at the sporting village and they should be used.

But yeah, if we were to do a Bournemouth and enjoy a prolonged period in the top flight, that would unlock a whole new legion of fans and would probably permanently take us to the next level.

It's time we started to focus on the real enemy here. 111 years those piscine *******s have been holding this club back.

Glad that you've identified the true culprits here, it's always been the fish! We Cockles and Shrimps have been loyal through and through. :thumbsup:

When the plans for the new ground:hilarious:, were first submitted I seem to recollect the model for our plan both in size, catchment area and geography at establishing ourselves at least in the 2nd tier with ambitons for reaching and competing in the top tier of English football was Middlesbro.

There are many top flight grounds in this country that have plenty of empty seats at most home games, its only when they play the top teams or a local derby that the grounds get full, look at Sunderland and Middlesborough plenty of empty seats at weekends, it's happening at all levels in big cities and big and small towns.
There are some that wonder how Scottish teams survive, for example take Cowdenbeath, around 5000 people live in this town yet they get 300 + for their home games, that's a pretty good turn out for the amount that live there.
One thing I have never understood about Southend and the way they sell the club to the public...they seem to think that there is no life outside of the Town, there are hundreds of supporters that travel I from outside the area but yet they never advertise in any other towns for the home games......just don't understand it

I agree completely with your argument, but how easy is it to swap 'loyalties'?

Surely if it is your team, it is your team.

However, i do struggle with people (generally kids) wearing manchester shirts, liverpool shirts (although they have never won the premiershite), london clubs 'cos all of a sudden theyre successful, etal.

Surely you base your support on a team 'cos its your local team or maybe 'cos theres a family connection. Not 'cos they have millions to spend and/or theyve just won the league/cup.

I dont know how you encourage people to support (ie actually attend matches rather than wear the coat or just watch the scores come in at final whistle) their local club.

But there should definitely be a law against supporting the most successful club at that time (unless you live within the 'city' boundaries of course).

Loyalty?

Pah!!! :cry::cry::cry:

Back